Proposal: Tavares and the Hawks make sense

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If you want a role model for Bedard it is definitely not some pajama boy, awardless, “leader” that could never get his team over the hump.

Islanders have had equal to greater success without him and he’s changed nothing for the Leafs.
He was named captain of team Canada. Besides, he is not awardless . He is a 6 time all-star and has multiple golds from junior to Olympics. He hasn't had team success in the NHL yet.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Maple Leafs talk shows have spent the last two days talking about how the lockerroom is devoid of leadership. So how does that even make sense to assume he’s going to mentor kids?
I didn't get that from the talk, but even if that were true, it doesn't mean there are no leaders. Devoid is your word- not any representative of the Leafs.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He might. I might be just for a season and besides Chicago isn't exactly far away these days.
Yeah but its far enough away even when playing at home you aren't driving across town and sleeping with your family. Rather than spending most of that year in Toronto he's going to be spending most of it in Chicago, pretty big difference.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah but its far enough away even when playing at home you aren't driving across town and sleeping with your family. Rather than spending most of that year in Toronto he's going to be spending most of it in Chicago, pretty big difference.
Yeah, there are some differences. I only said it isn't as far away as it used to be. I was referring to technology and logistics. Of course it is farther than a drive across town.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Is this comment trying to say the Leafs should have traded 20 year old Matthews for veteren players?
What it says is the Leafs weren’t giving up assets for old useless guys because they had good young guys on the way.
If I’m Chicago I’d need additional assets to get Toronto out of a cap situation that is keeping them from seriously competing.
Do you think Chicago really wants Tavares lending the same tutoring on how to work hard in the NHL playoffs he taught Matthews and Marner.
As a Hawk fan, … no thanks.

Reactions: TheOne

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
If Toronto trades him it would make sense to be at the draft. Frees up cap space to think ahead to free agency.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
This trade is already done. The reason JT went to the World Champs is because of Bedard. He's going there to take him under his wing and it'll bleed into next season on the Hawks. Trade is agreed on. Can't be accepted until after his bonus is paid on July 1st. There is no other logical reason for JT to be going to the World Champs when he has 3 little kids.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Can't be accepted until after his bonus is paid on July 1st. There is no other logical reason for JT to be going to the World Champs when he has 3 little kids.

You know the leafs aren’t the only rich team in the league right? The Blackhawks are the fifth or sixth most valuable NHL franchise. We can pay your precious bonuses.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hard to say with that. Leafs likely don't need the full 11M of relief, I guess it depends on what the Hawks want to do and potential returns. But if you take full salary, yeah it would basically be a contract for contract trade mostly
Actually it depends on what Tavares wants to do.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Curious that JT went to worlds, could be:
- he knows he won't have many more shots at these types of tourneys and wants one more
- a naive hope it puts him on radar for the next best vs best tourney
- auditioning to play elsewhere
- 3 kids at home drive him nuts (like me) and jumps at any chance for a business trip

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This trade is already done. The reason JT went to the World Champs is because of Bedard. He's going there to take him under his wing and it'll bleed into next season on the Hawks. Trade is agreed on. Can't be accepted until after his bonus is paid on July 1st. There is no other logical reason for JT to be going to the World Champs when he has 3 little kids.
Nice to see JT answering the call to play for Canada.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
- he knows he won't have many more shots at these types of tourneys and wants one more
- 3 kids at home drive him nuts (like me) and jumps at any chance for a business trip
JT is good on draws and plays hard off pucks. He’s a good defensive centre. Maybe he’s showing he can play the defensive centre role so he can extend his career. Bryan Trottier did exactly that. He went to Pittsburgh and helped them win the Cup. Could JT be considering going to a contender (as a UFA)?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This works for everyone except Tavares.

If that team had any bxlls they would take calls on Matthews and reboot their entire franchise.
Why would the Leafs take calls on Matthews?

He's the best player the Leafs have ever had. They can't replace him.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If Toronto trades him it would make sense to be at the draft. Frees up cap space to think ahead to free agency.
Leafs give him over $10m in cash on July 1st, I believe. Whatever team is trading for Tavares will tell Toronto "look, you're a rich team, you can afford to give him $10 million cash. We'll make the trade AFTER you pay him". Draft is therefore unlikely IMO.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This works for everyone except Tavares.

Why would the Leafs take calls on Matthews?

He's the best player the Leafs have ever had. They can't replace him.
AM is great but the Leafs win three Cupsvin the 60’s. Those clubs had great players too.
The game is more than scoring points. There’s playing the right way on and off pucks. Tavares does play the right way. He would be a great 3rd line centre on a club that has two guys ahead of him.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
- probably had his life planned on a long play-off run, didn't happen, has time / an open spot on his schedule.
- not banged-up feels good and wants to play more hockey this season

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Tavares likely will only waive for a contender and most contenders don't have the cap space. Leafs are likely going to have to take on a contract to move either of Marner or Tavares.

Not impossible but not easy. Players control their destiny

archangel2

May 19, 2019
JT has a full NMC. I do not see him waiving it to go to a team a few years away from making the playoffs

JTs cap hit vs actual pay after his bonus is paid is interesting

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
We will give Toronto back 1 Ryan Donato. Id be happy to take him for half a year. Hold down that 2C spot until Nazar is ready to play NHL minutes.

We can tell him we will eat half his cap and send him where he wants to go at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad