Tavares and Livingston - OHL to change draft age and rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Will either of these guys be drafted in the top 4 of the upcoming OHL draft?

It sounds like Tavares will, but maybe not Livingston. Tavares had some pretty good numbers in limited action in Junior A as a 14 yr old.

Does anyone know where Livingston is from and can anyone offer a scouting report?

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Tavares would be allowed to play under the current rule if he moved to an OHL centre. Spezza's family went to Brampton so he could play for them as an underager (15 year old).

Ive seen Tavares play about 6 times this year and he has all the tools to play in the OHL and he's proved this his whole life...

I think out of every two years there is a player capable of playing in the OHL. EG. Patrick Jarrett in his draft year. Spezza and McClement in there draft year. Kirk Muller did it. Lindross could have done it. It's not that far fetched as most of the top 89's this year (draft eligible players) are playing JR.A which is just as physical as the O. The O might have more fights but there is a parallel between the two in that regard. Some Jr. A teams are actually older than their OHL counterparts.

End of the story is this rule would allow the exceptional kids such as Tavares have a chance to play in the OHL at this age without having to move somewhere to play as an underager.

I heard Rob Scremp was thinking about moving up to the Kingston area for the year, in his draft year to play in the OHL as an underager.

It can be done, but only by a select few.. All this rule does is allow the best players to up to their caliber and develop quicker. In Tavares' case this might stop him from migrating south which looks like is the next phenominon for young hockey players in canada.

I say the proposed rule is great and I hope it's insistitued.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
He's 6"1 175 and sees the game at another level. He's played a year up most of his life and leads most tourney and leagues in scoring.

Played with Milton this year in 16 games and tallied 11 goals and 23pts thats more than impressive for a 14 year old.

The bottom line is if he plays with better players it will only make him better which is the case with all elite talents.

Hope the rule goes through and he see JT play next year in the O

ps I dont think Livingston will be drafted in the proposed top 4 90 bday picks

and I do not advocate that all 90 bdays should/could play in the OHL only maybe the elite player every year or so.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
Tavares would be allowed to play under the current rule if he moved to an OHL centre. Spezza's family went to Brampton so he could play for them as an underager (15 year old).

Ive seen Tavares play about 6 times this year and he has all the tools to play in the OHL and he's proved this his whole life...

I think out of every two years there is a player capable of playing in the OHL. EG. Patrick Jarrett in his draft year. Spezza and McClement in there draft year. Kirk Muller did it. Lindross could have done it. It's not that far fetched as most of the top 89's this year (draft eligible players) are playing JR.A which is just as physical as the O. The O might have more fights but there is a parallel between the two in that regard. Some Jr. A teams are actually older than their OHL counterparts.

End of the story is this rule would allow the exceptional kids such as Tavares have a chance to play in the OHL at this age without having to move somewhere to play as an underager.

I heard Rob Scremp was thinking about moving up to the Kingston area for the year, in his draft year to play in the OHL as an underager.

It can be done, but only by a select few.. All this rule does is allow the best players to up to their caliber and develop quicker. In Tavares' case this might stop him from migrating south which looks like is the next phenominon for young hockey players in canada.

I say the proposed rule is great and I hope it's insistitued.

So if Tavares is drafted this year as a 14/15 yr old then can he play in the OHL with the team that drafts him as a 15 yr old? He would be one of the top picks of the team that drafts him and that would be along the guidelines of the OHL allowing picks in the first three rounds or so to play in their first year.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
HabLover said:
So if Tavares is drafted this year as a 14/15 yr old then can he play in the OHL with the team that drafts him as a 15 yr old? He would be one of the top picks of the team that drafts him and that would be along the guidelines of the OHL allowing picks in the first three rounds or so to play in their first year.

No the proposed rule is for the 4 OHL teams that don't make the playoffs each year they'll have the option of selecting one of these elite talents the other teams do not. Yes he would be allowed to play next year IF he was drafted in the top 4 and IF the rule goes through.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Scouting Report On James Livingston

Played up a year this year like Tavares for the OMHA's York-Simcoe Express .. he was the best player on the team this year in the games i've seen and he does have some size. He doesn't use this size very effectively and seems inconsistent at times. However he does have amazing 1 on 1 skills and has that scoring touch that not many players have. At this point if the rule does not go through I could see the 2006 OHL draft looking like this
1) John Tavares 2)James Livingston

Livingston potential is HUGE and if he develops a mean streak to go along with the size, speed and skill that he already possesses he's going to be a beauty OHL player.

dangle

Oct 19, 2004
ktownhockey said:

Played up a year this year like Tavares for the OMHA's York-Simcoe Express .. he was the best player on the team this year in the games i've seen and he does have some size. He doesn't use this size very effectively and seems inconsistent at times. However he does have amazing 1 on 1 skills and has that scoring touch that not many players have. At this point if the rule does not go through I could see the 2006 OHL draft looking like this

Livingston potential is HUGE and if he develops a mean streak to go along with the size, speed and skill that he already possesses he's going to be a beauty OHL player.

But is livingston better than Torquato or Couture?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Over on the NOOF, the number one argument they seem to be using in favor of this is that Tavares might play in the USHL next year. What's so wrong with that? I'm sure he'd be just as likely to return to Ontario and play in the OHL as a 16 year old. If by some chance he does decide he would rather go the NCAA route, shouldn't he be allowed that choice rather than being pressured into making the decision at 14? Some of these policies that the Canadian junior leagues are trying to initiate are pretty ridiculous.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
cagney said:
Over on the NOOF, the number one argument they seem to be using in favor of this is that Tavares might play in the USHL next year. What's so wrong with that? I'm sure he'd be just as likely to return to Ontario and play in the OHL as a 16 year old. If by some chance he does decide he would rather go the NCAA route, shouldn't he be allowed that choice rather than being pressured into making the decision at 14? Some of these policies that the Canadian junior leagues are trying to initiate are pretty ridiculous.

And the NCAA considers CHL Players pro players because they get 50 bucks a week for food money.

The NCAA has stupid rules too.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
ktownhockey said:

Is he Canadian?

How big is he?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
And the NCAA considers CHL Players pro players because they get 50 bucks a week for food money.

The NCAA has stupid rules too.

I never said they didn't. However, the NCAA does make an effort to protect young kids from undue pressure with their recruiting rules (no contact can be initiated by a school until the recruit is a high school senior).

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I need someone to clear this up...

Say a fourteen year old, John Tavares say was drafted in the top 4 this year in the OHL draft. Would he have to wait until the year after to play or could he jump right in to the league as a fourteen year old?

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
cagney said:
I never said they didn't. However, the NCAA does make an effort to protect young kids from undue pressure with their recruiting rules (no contact can be initiated by a school until the recruit is a high school senior).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the laugh. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

If you believe this, I have some land for sale....
;) :snide:

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'll be getting a chance to see Tarvares for the first time this Friday at the OHL Cup. Anyone in the Toronto area looking to see some good hockey over the weekend should check it out.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
John E. Ringo said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the laugh. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

If you believe this, I have some land for sale....
;) :snide:

So the rules preventing contact with kids under a certain age isn't an instance of the NCAA trying to protect them from undue pressure? So what purpose do you think the rules serve?

dangle

Oct 19, 2004
cagney said:
So the rules preventing contact with kids under a certain age isn't an instance of the NCAA trying to protect them from undue pressure? So what purpose do you think the rules serve?
Smoke and mirrors, the parents or agents contact the schools that they are interested in. How do you think Jack Johnson committed to attend the Univ of Mich the spring of his freshman year in HS.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
It says in the article he playing for Toronto's "minor midget" team.How many levels of midget in Ont.and where does that rank.Anyone know his stats for minor midget.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
pei fan said:
It says in the article he playing for Toronto's "minor midget" team.How many levels of midget in Ont.and where does that rank.Anyone know his stats for minor midget.

He's playing at pretty much the highest level he can for someone his age currently. AAA hockey. I assume there would be minor midget and major midget, but major midget would be more watered down, as players are drafted into the O from minor midget, as well major midget taking a hit with lots of players going to other Junior leagues like the Ontario Provincial Junior league for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad