Tarasenko-Kutznetsov-Kitsyn vs. Tukonen-Nokelainen-Korpikoski

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Some years ago you had the big three Tukonen-Nokelainen-Korpikoski.

Just as hyped as Tarasenko-Kutznetsov-Kitsyn are now. I see a lot of similarities.

Dont say it is different now because it isnt. The what have you done for me lately attitude is huge around here and people (mostly kids) quickly forget.

People were calling Tukonen elite too. Me as Kings fan remembers the stories. It got worse when Tukonen finished second in scoring with 10 points duing the WJC-20.

Some years later the least talented player of the bunch is still in the NHL and is doing well...Korpikoski. :) How about that. By this logic, Kitsyn has the most promising NHL career, but that aside. ;)

My point, calm down a bit. :)

pouskin74*

Some years ago you had the big three Tukonen-Nokelainen-Korpikoski.

Just as hyped as Tarasenko-Kutznetsov-Kitsyn are now. I see a lot of similarities.

Dont say it is different now because it isnt. The what have you done for me lately attitude is huge around here and people (mostly kids) quickly forget.

People were calling Tukonen elite too. Me as Kings fan remembers the stories. It got worse when Tukonen finished second in scoring with 10 points duing the WJC-20.

Some years later the least talented player of the bunch is still in the NHL and is doing well...Korpikoski. :) How about that. By this logic, Kitsyn has the most promising NHL career, but that aside. ;)

My point, calm down a bit. :)

there is nothing to compare in talentwise and russian trio earned a gold! btw you means who?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
When were Tukonen-Nokelainen-Korpikoski half as good?
I was already afraid to read these responses.

Of course now nobody remembers anymore that these Finns were dynamite at this same age and this comparison is totally ridiculous. Now its different of course, too bad...

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
tukonen, nokelainen and korpikoski were all 1. round draft picks, 11th, 16th and 19th overall respectevely. Dissappointingly only korpikoski is now looking something like the player he was expected to become.

Anyway, talentwise tukonen-nokelainen-korpikoski were atleast as talented, if not more talented than tarasenko-kuznetsov-kitsyn

I myself like kuznetsov right now, he'll be a big numbers guy one day :)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
tukonen, nokelainen and korpikoski were all 1. round draft picks, 11th, 16th and 19th overall respectevely. Dissappointingly only korpikoski is now looking something like the player he was expected to become.

Anyway, talentwise tukonen-nokelainen-korpikoski were atleast as talented, if not more talented than tarasenko-kuznetsov-kitsyn
Finally somebody who did his homework. :)

How is Lauri Tukonen doing in Finland ? It seems like he has picked up his offensive game. I would not be surprised to see him in North-America again at some point.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
What do you mean ?
The Finnish trio dominated the under-18 competition, where no-one is even half ready as a player. The u-20 games tell much more about a player and their future, as everyone are more mature etc. The Finnish guys never really dominated in the u-20 games, like they did in under-18's.

Sandino

Feb 3, 2006
The Finnish trio dominated the under-18 competition, where no-one is even half ready as a player. The u-20 games tell much more about a player and their future, as everyone are more mature etc. The Finnish guys never really dominated in the u-20 games, like they did in under-18's.

You're forgetting Vancouver 2006. The trio carried the Finnish team along with Tuuka Rask. Lauri Tukonen was third in points behind Phil Kessel and Evgeni Malkin. They had a huge 4-2 victory over the USA for the Bronze.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland

How is Lauri Tukonen doing in Finland ? It seems like he has picked up his offensive game. I would not be surprised to see him in North-America again at some point.

Tukonen looks like a guy who will spend most of his career in Europe and play in WC's and EHT's. Just my opinion.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Were Tukonen-Nokelainen-Korpikoski playing pro hockey? I'm asking because I don't know. And if so, which leage?

One of the things that gives Caps fans a lot of confidence about Kuznetsov is the fact that he's doing really well in the KHL, which is the 2nd best league in the world. He's producing at a rate similar to what Ovechkin did in the KHL during his post-draft year (the NHL strike season).

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think you check your facts. Lauri Tukonen played a heck of a tournament.

This was not about the WC-20 tournament anyway...

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
lmao, finding someone else who seems to share your struggles in recognizing talent doesn't make your claim any better.

Obviously i'm talking about Tarasenko and Kuznetsov, NOT Kitsyin, who is nothing more of a longshot to become a significant player.

I'm not saying Tarasenko will be a superstar, nor that Kuznetsov is a sure thing, but having watched all those guys play in their WJC, i can't see the similarities between Tarasenko-Kuznetsov and the other 4.
The first 2 clearly have more potential, and Tarasenko is an already pretty mature player.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
lmao, finding someone else who seems to share your struggles in recognizing talent doesn't make your claim any better.

Obviously i'm talking about Tarasenko and Kuznetsov, NOT Kitsyin, who is nothing more of a longshot to become a significant player.

I'm not saying Tarasenko will be a superstar, nor that Kuznetsov is a sure thing, but having watched all those guys play in their WJC, i can't see the similarities between Tarasenko-Kuznetsov and the other 4.
The first 2 clearly have more potential, and Tarasenko is an already pretty mature player.

More to the point, identifying a random trio of prospects who didn't work out one year doesn't really prove anything about another random trio of prospects. Sure the Finnish trio didn't pan out. But what about the hyped 2005 trio of Ovechkin-Malkin-Radulov -- all 3 first round picks in the prior draft. That one did ok, no?

You can only judge players on what you see, and access to a lot of these European players is quite limited. And you'd be hard pressed to watch Tarasenko and Kuznetsov and not be very impressed.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
Were Tukonen-Nokelainen-Korpikoski playing pro hockey? I'm asking because I don't know. And if so, which leage?

Korpikoski's 03-04 season:
Jr. A SM-Liiga 03/04 36 12 8 20 20

Don't know how that's a first rounder.

Nokelainen's 03-04 season:
SM-liiga 40 4 4 8 16

Tukonen's 03-04 season:
SM-liiga 35 3 3 6 16

So as we can all see, Nokelainen and Tukonen played pro and Korpikoski was in juniors before draft. Korpikoski's stats aren't that impressive for Jr. A player and I don't understand why Nokelainen and Tukonen played (almost) whole season in SM-liiga since they didn't produce.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Because those three Finns didnt pan out, it's suddenly different with these three Russians. That's always the case here...what have you done for me lately.

You're not making any sense. This has absolutely nothing to do with "what have you done for me lately." You picked three random prospects and compared them to other three prospects that play nothing alike, are nothing alike as people, etc. and somehow came to the conclusion that they're going to follow the exact same paths.

Man, if only NHL teams had your expertise, they wouldn't have to waste their first round picks on guys like Tarasenko and Kuznetsov.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You're not making any sense. This has absolutely nothing to do with "what have you done for me lately." You picked three random prospects and compared them to other three prospects that play nothing alike, are nothing alike as people, etc. and somehow came to the conclusion that they're going to follow the exact same paths.

Man, if only NHL teams had your expertise, they wouldn't have to waste their first round picks on guys like Tarasenko and Kuznetsov.
Dont put words in my mouth.

I dont know if they follow the same path.

I do know that people need to calm down about certain players because it was exactly the same back than with those three Finns. Dont act like that has never happened. Now we know they all busted and of course you say they play nothing a like, totally different, whatever. It has everything to with "what have you done for me lately".

Its annoying as hell, to read this kind of stuff, seriously.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
So what you're saying is, unproven prospects sometimes don't pan out? Thanks for the heads up!

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
You're forgetting Vancouver 2006. The trio carried the Finnish team along with Tuuka Rask. Lauri Tukonen was third in points behind Phil Kessel and Evgeni Malkin. They had a huge 4-2 victory over the USA for the Bronze.
Except Nokelainen wasn't on the team.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Have you seen those guys play?

Kuznetsov could be an elite player in the NHL, just has it, same goes for Tarasenko.

They very well could bust, but I don't see that happening

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Dont put words in my mouth.

I dont know if they follow the same path.

I do know that people need to calm down about certain players because it was exactly the same back than with those three Finns. Dont act like that has never happened. Now we know they all busted and of course you say they play nothing a like, totally different, whatever. It has everything to with "what have you done for me lately".

Its annoying as hell, to read this kind of stuff, seriously.

I know that Nokelainen and Tukonen busted, but I wouldn´t call Korpikoski a bust. He is playing in the NHL and doing quite well, he has already scored 9 goals this season.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

One of the things that gives Caps fans a lot of confidence about Kuznetsov is the fact that he's doing really well in the KHL, which is the 2nd best league in the world. He's producing at a rate similar to what Ovechkin did in the KHL during his post-draft year (the NHL strike season).
Ovechkin 04/05 - 27 points in 37 games
Kuznetsov 10/11 - 15 points in 31 games

Not even close, Ovechkin was producing over 50% more PPG. This is like saying a 50 point NHL season is similar production to an 80 point NHL season.

Anyways, I'd say Tukonen/Nokelainen/Korpikoski were indeed more hyped than Tarasenko/Kutznetsov/Kitsyn, and the scouts thought so too as the Finns actually went 11th/16th/19th in the 2004 draft (was a pretty weak draft outside of Ovechkin/Malkin though). But obviously the Finns busting doesn't mean this new group of Russians will bust, I personally think Tarasenko's gonna be a pretty good NHLer, though I'm not so sure about Kuznetsov and even less sure about Kitsyn.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad