tapered blade

Miami Panther

Jun 24, 2006
Miami, FL
I have a Synergy II shaft and I am looking for a tapered blade to put on it. I want a blade that is very durable and good for street hockey. In the past, I have used the Easton Yzerman Z-ABS blade which I found to work out very well. Thank you for your help.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Yeah your gonna want another ABS blade especially for street hockey...only I dont really know of many tapered ABS blades, much less many tapered wooden ones. Maybe get one and whittle it down to fit? I think the CCM v20 or 40 are good bets.

Miami Panther

Jun 24, 2006
Miami, FL
For street hockey you want an abs blade. But I've never seen an abs tapered blade.

so what should i do??? should i do what sc37 said and take it to a shop to have it whittled down or what? i don't want to put it in the other end b/c that would defeat the purpose of buying a tapered shaft. i guess i should have thought of this before buying it.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I guess you can whittle it down but that might kill the durability on the tenon. I'd start to look to trade for or buy a standard shaft and/or sell the synergy II. Personally, I'm really picky about the balance of a stick so I wouldn't use anything but a composite blade with that shaft because it's soo light.

Miami Panther

Jun 24, 2006
Miami, FL
i have found some more since my last post like the wood synthesis and others. i am very surprised with the number of wooden tapered blades. the only problem is that they are made for ice hockey not street. i guess i will have to make due with the wooden blades unless there is an abs tapered blade.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
yeah, wood blades aren't hard to find but ABS blades are. If you go with the wood blades try putting epoxy on the bottom so that the epoxy wears down instead of the blade... and keep it nearby so that when your blade starts to split you can fix it. :P

Nov 26, 2006
Fresno, CA
TPS makes a wood tapered blade, the R2. mission used to as well, you can still get them on clearance.

screw ABS it sucks, i play on rough streets, used an ABS once and it was so awful, went back to wood and never went back.

ABS is heavy, flexible, and really doesn't last much longer than wood.

wood will last plenty long unless you drag your stick on the ground to slow down or something dumb like that.

Miami Panther

Jun 24, 2006
Miami, FL
TPS makes a wood tapered blade, the R2. mission used to as well, you can still get them on clearance.

screw ABS it sucks, i play on rough streets, used an ABS once and it was so awful, went back to wood and never went back.

ABS is heavy, flexible, and really doesn't last much longer than wood.

wood will last plenty long unless you drag your stick on the ground to slow down or something dumb like that.

i use the easton yzerman z-abs blade and it lasts me forever. i can take all the slappers i want without having to worry about it cracking or wearing down. the blade is a wood and abs hybrid which gives it a pretty nice feel considering the circumstances. you might be referring to a pure abs blade which i have used and i despise them. i am leaning towards the synthesis wood blade and possibly putting epoxy on the bottom like TBLfan suggested. i am still looking for a tapered abs blade but i doubt i will find one.

Nov 26, 2006
Fresno, CA
yeah, as long as you don't put your stick on the ground it will be fine. Don't let people pass the puck to you, it might cause you to drag your stick against the ground! :shakehead

Don't be a Pejorative Slur, you know what i meant.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
CCM makes a tapered ABS blade: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-rbv5sr.html

Not sure how it'll fit into the Synergy II since each company seems to vary in terms of their tapered blades. I got this blade for my buddy and it seems to be holding out well for outdoor hockey. I got the Synergy II blade for my roommate and that thing lasted 15 games if that.

GSC

Dec 21, 2004
The Basement
so what should i do??? should i do what sc37 said and take it to a shop to have it whittled down or what? i don't want to put it in the other end b/c that would defeat the purpose of buying a tapered shaft. i guess i should have thought of this before buying it.

Whittling down a blade hozzel to make it fit is a bad idea, IMO. Gotta find a tapered blade, I'd go with a Warrior. That's the problem with these new shafts being so thin, esp. with the one-piece sticks. The stick market isn't what it used to be, they throw out absolute garbage in terms of stick durability

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Don't be a Pejorative Slur, you know what i meant.

basic use of the blade is going to cause it to shred probably on the first use. To keep it from wearing you couldn't shoot more than a few times and puckhandle for more than a few strides, no keeping your stick down for passes either. It's not ice hockey, it's street hockey; asphalt eats blades alive.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i think i am going to get the CCM Vector V5.0 that Brodeur suggested (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-rbv5sr.html). i hope it fits into the synergy and if not i guess i am screwed. I really like the easton yzerman curve and i am wondering if there are any similar curves. I think the thornton is similar but i am not sure.

Hope it fits, I always worry about putting company X's blade into company Y's shaft. The Thornton is pretty close to the Yzerman, I believe both are 6 lies, while the Thornton is 3/4" and the Yzerman is 9/16".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad