Tapered ABS Blade

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by ShawnTHW, May 17, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. ShawnTHW

ShawnTHW @ShawnTHW

I'm looking for a tapered ABS blade because occasionally I play hockey outdoors and the stick I use needs a tapered blade. I prefer Bauer blades because they have the Backstrom curve that I want to use, but I don't know if Baueer makes any tapered blades.

2. AIREAYE

AIREAYE Moderator

No such thing man :( plus you won't get a backstrom curve on any ABS blade, only the Zetterberg/P42 curves

3. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

Curve selection on ABS blades usually leaves a bit to be desired. CCM used to have a tapered ABS blades back in the day. Recently, each company seems to have added a tapered wood blade to its lineup.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-replacement-blade-vapor-x60-wood-sr.html (Backstrom/Naslund is P92)

Naturally wood doesn't hold up as well as ABS outdoors, but that's probably the closest you can get.

4. ponder

ponder Registered User

One possible option is to look out for Warrior Dolomite HD blades. They're composite blades, not ABS blades, but while most composite blades have foam cores (that rapidly break down on rough surfaces), the core on Warrior's HD blades are made of mix of epoxy and carbon fiber strands. Never used them myself, but apparently they work fairly well for road hockey as long as the surface isn't TOO rough, they apparently wear down evenly/smoothly/slowly without losing their structural integrity.

Not my photo, but the top blade shows how an HD blade wears after a tonne of uses, while the bottom blade shows how a normal foam core blade fails quickly after just a few uses:
    [​IMG]

However, Warrior no longer makes HD blades, so you might have trouble finding them in the proper curve/lie.

5. Thepandamancan

Thepandamancan Registered User

They have the P92 on the One35 ABS blade, but it's not tapered. You could probably sand it down or something to fit but it'll most likely weaken the tenon.

6. ShawnTHW

ShawnTHW @ShawnTHW

Is it possible to just flip the stick around and use the opening on the other side? IIRC, I don't believe the top of the stick is tapered, or does that screw with things?

7. Thepandamancan

You could but the flex would be at the top...which would basically negate the effects of using a tapered shaft?

8. AIREAYE

AIREAYE Moderator

The One30 blade was never designed to be used outdoors and is not made of ABS. If you were referring to this:
    http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Bauer_Supreme_One30_ABS_Blades_Sr_10/descpage-B40AB.html

It's an SMU for IW and yes you're right about it.

The top of the shaft is usually able to fit standard blades, although for some models, you might have to do some tinkering.

9. Thepandamancan

10. Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Carter Avs/Leafs fan

Yeah, as others have said, I don't believe there are any tapered ABS blades out there. There are substitute options such as a tapered wood blade, but if you really want an ABS blade, you could always buy a standard one and reshape the hosel to make your own tapered ABS blade. Would be a bit of a pain, but might be easier than buying multiple wood blades when they wear out on the rough surface.

11. elevation

elevation Registered User

12. LarryO

LarryO Registered User

Home Page:
    I used Live Search to translate it and saw that they have blades for the elderly. I thought "Perfect for a 50-year old guy like myself", until I realized it was just a bad translation for senior blades. :laugh:

13. Hobgoblin Steve

Hobgoblin Steve Bacon of Light

I want to order,...but how?

14. IDuck

IDuck Registered User

thats soooo awesome...gotta love the translators...hope the CIA isnt using them

15. elevation

elevation Registered User

FRONTIER HOCKEY OÜ

Võiste 1, 86501 Pärnumaa
    Estonia

Tel/Fax +372 445 6101
    e-mail: [email protected]