Tapered ABS Blade

member 30781

I'm looking for a tapered ABS blade because occasionally I play hockey outdoors and the stick I use needs a tapered blade. I prefer Bauer blades because they have the Backstrom curve that I want to use, but I don't know if Baueer makes any tapered blades.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
No such thing man :( plus you won't get a backstrom curve on any ABS blade, only the Zetterberg/P42 curves

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
One possible option is to look out for Warrior Dolomite HD blades. They're composite blades, not ABS blades, but while most composite blades have foam cores (that rapidly break down on rough surfaces), the core on Warrior's HD blades are made of mix of epoxy and carbon fiber strands. Never used them myself, but apparently they work fairly well for road hockey as long as the surface isn't TOO rough, they apparently wear down evenly/smoothly/slowly without losing their structural integrity.

Not my photo, but the top blade shows how an HD blade wears after a tonne of uses, while the bottom blade shows how a normal foam core blade fails quickly after just a few uses:
dscn1310o.jpg

However, Warrior no longer makes HD blades, so you might have trouble finding them in the proper curve/lie.

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
No such thing man :( plus you won't get a backstrom curve on any ABS blade, only the Zetterberg/P42 curves
They have the P92 on the One35 ABS blade, but it's not tapered. You could probably sand it down or something to fit but it'll most likely weaken the tenon.

member 30781

Is it possible to just flip the stick around and use the opening on the other side? IIRC, I don't believe the top of the stick is tapered, or does that screw with things?

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
Is it possible to just flip the stick around and use the opening on the other side? IIRC, I don't believe the top of the stick is tapered, or does that screw with things?

You could but the flex would be at the top...which would basically negate the effects of using a tapered shaft?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
They have the P92 on the One35 ABS blade, but it's not tapered. You could probably sand it down or something to fit but it'll most likely weaken the tenon.

The One30 blade was never designed to be used outdoors and is not made of ABS. If you were referring to this:
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Bauer_Supreme_One30_ABS_Blades_Sr_10/descpage-B40AB.html

It's an SMU for IW and yes you're right about it.

The top of the shaft is usually able to fit standard blades, although for some models, you might have to do some tinkering.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
Yeah, as others have said, I don't believe there are any tapered ABS blades out there. There are substitute options such as a tapered wood blade, but if you really want an ABS blade, you could always buy a standard one and reshape the hosel to make your own tapered ABS blade. Would be a bit of a pain, but might be easier than buying multiple wood blades when they wear out on the rough surface.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I used Live Search to translate it and saw that they have blades for the elderly. I thought "Perfect for a 50-year old guy like myself", until I realized it was just a bad translation for senior blades. :laugh:
thats soooo awesome...gotta love the translators...hope the CIA isnt using them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad