Confirmed with Link: Tanner Pearson to the Penguins (Traded for Carl Hagelin 1 for 1)

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Hags wasn’t scoring but he wasn’t getting lit up like a bunch of our other forwards.

We had to make a trade but we needed more LW’s not a status quo. We lose great speed and defensively responsible forward which we don’t have much of.

Hope Pearson works out though but wish there was another way

Pearson is solid defensively, there's little loss there in terms of defense.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
@DegenX :(

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Not Swaglin :(

Im not sure about this trade. Pearson has been meh to garbage the last 2 years. Hes not a fast player by any means either. Pens taking risk in this trade.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You're right, it's never a JR move to acquire a struggling but talented player when his value is at its lowest. It's not like that's literally how we got Hagelin in the the first place.

Struggling and straight up trash for close to 25% of the season are different.

We needed defense, not a lateral move at LW. I do not like it. I guess I might be proven wrong if Pearson explodes, but I would not count on it.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I guarantee that a Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist line is going to be fantastic for the Penguins. Hagelin's issues this year have been with his utter lack of offense, that's not a problem with Pearson. Again, I need to say again, Pearson is really close to a LW version of Rust, which is the one thing this team has lacked at forward.

He had 40, 44 and 36 points in the 3 years before this year. He has an on-ice shooting percentage of 1.2% this year so far.
Hornqvist with Malkin is never a good idea.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pearson likes to set up alot in the slot area for Sid like passes. I could see him working with Sid and Simon.

Or a third wheel to Malkin and Kessel. Give you some of Hags two way game but actually finish.

Reactions: Shady Machine

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Isn't Pearson an average skater?
Slightly above I would say. He had great speed his first couple seasons then for whatever reason he got slower. He had a great shot his first few seasons but has done absolutely nothing for the Kings this season. He was a useful player last season even if he wasn't scoring. He was forechecking well, screening the goalie once in the zone, and defending well. Like the rest of the Kings this season, he's invisible about 95% of the time. Hopefully a change in scenery will help him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've been of the opinion for a little while now that it's simply best for Sprong to move on. He isn't going to accomplish anything, here.

And I REALLY don't know about this trade. But I guess it's not like Hagelin was doing anything with huge minutes. So we'll see what kind of lineup changes this entails. I think it' possible this somehow makes Malkin's situation even worse because ZAR.

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine :laugh: (horrifying plausible tbh)

And... I'm not sure I disagree with you on Sprong. Everybody else seems to, but me, I think I know how this movie ends. But on the plus side, we can always trade him tomorrow.

Hmm. Now I imagine that's how Sully says goodbye to Sprong every day after training. "Good night Daniel. Good work. Sleep well. We'll probably trade you in the morning".

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pearson is solid defensively, there's little loss there in terms of defense.

Haven’t really watched him but Hags is one of the best fore/back checkers in the league.

If he can help with more offense great but he’s had 1 assist this year, 0 goals. I dont like it right now

Reactions: Zirakzigil

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If nothing else Pearson and Rust can bond over all they have in common right now.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I could see this move working out well. I liked Hagelin though, but clearly a trade was needed, maybe a few.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So take Rust but change everything :laugh: Got it

Not really :laugh:

He's a 2-way middle-6 winger that plays in all situations and is pretty strong in most areas of his game. That's essentially Rust. Rust is a little faster and a better playmaker, while Pearson is more physical and a better goal scorer, but they're the same base type of player.

Reactions: JackFr

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not really :laugh:

He's a 2-way middle-6 winger that plays in all situations and is pretty strong in most areas of his game. That's essentially Rust. Rust is a little faster and a better playmaker, while Pearson is more physical and a better goal scorer, but they're the same base type of player.
Yeah I gotcha. I guess I look at Rust and see speed as my defining characteristic. Taking that away makes a guy not like Rust in my initial reaction, but I get what you're saying.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

We needed defense, not a lateral move at LW. I do not like it. I guess I might be proven wrong if Pearson explodes, but I would not count on it.
Sure, we need defence. But acquiring a young, locked up, more talented player for Hagelin is a plus in my book. Again, you think a guy as consistent as Pearson just forgot how to play hockey this year? Coinciding with an on-ice shooting percentage of 1%?

Hagelin and Daley were "straight up trash" when we got them because GMs are capricious and reactive. Seriously, Pearson is a 40-45 point LW with good hands. He's not going to explode but we got a good player here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Rutherford's said there's nothing interesting him on the market at D. I'm not disagreeing that we need D, but there's nothing we can do if its not on the table.

Hornqvist with Malkin is never a good idea.

Don't make me break out the stats.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

This doesn't stop us from making any other moves. JR doesn't need to fix the team in one move.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Slightly above I would say. He had great speed his first couple seasons then for whatever reason he got slower. He had a great shot his first few seasons but has done absolutely nothing for the Kings this season. He was a useful player last season even if he wasn't scoring. He was forechecking well, screening the goalie once in the zone, and defending well. Like the rest of the Kings this season, he's invisible about 95% of the time. Hopefully a change in scenery will help him.
Forecheck you say...so he's good away from the puck? Why he was struggling with scoring you think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad