Prospect Info: Tanner Molendyk - D | 24th Overall | 2023 NHL Draft

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
At the end of the day, I have to fall back on the fact that our scouts are generally awesome with the defenseman picks
I think we all said this live at the time of the pick too... but just as a contemplative aside, I wonder how many of the same scouts are even on the job now, how much of it was Poile himself, how much of it might actually have just been our cosmic "luck" factor balancing out our lack of success at F, etc. I'm sure we'll never truly know... :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think we all said this live at the time of the pick too... but just as a contemplative aside, I wonder how many of the same scouts are even on the job now, how much of it was Poile himself, how much of it might actually have just been our cosmic "luck" factor balancing out our lack of success at F, etc. I'm sure we'll never truly know... :dunno:
I'll remind you that Trotz was on board when most of the best ones were drafted, so there is a possibility he had a bit to do with it too. I mean since he left we've had what Fabbro, Carrier, and Girard? Definitely a bit lower than Suter, Weber, Josi and Ekholm.

Reactions: sparkle twin

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
The fact that he's an elite skater is what has me excited about this pick. He can be coached and developed in other areas of his game, but skating cannot be easily coached at this level. Maybe he becomes more like Bret Hedican than Roman Josi, but that's still a damn good player to have in your top 6.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
None of those guys are going to be #1 Dmen and I think that is what this pick is about. I think there was something they saw they thought could be special.

That pick wasn't about finding another #4 defenseman.
If you are only looking for home runs; expect to strike out a lot! You need at least 7 Dman in the NHL. You can't afford a third pair like the Preds had in 2017. It killed them vs the Pens.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If you are only looking for home runs; expect to strike out a lot! You need at least 7 Dman in the NHL. You can't afford a third pair like the Preds had in 2017. It killed them vs the Pens.
Sure but Josi is getting older, McDonagh is a #3 at this point and you have absolutely no one in the pipeline with the potential to fill those #1 and #2 spots that you would really want there. At a certain point you've got to find that guy, and you aren't going to find him by drafting guys you hope are just an NHL Dman.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In the old days, $95,000 could let you roll up to your junior camp in an amazing new set of wheels. Nowadays... well, still not bad, but it's not quite so fancy.

Or they could give it back to mom and dad to help offset that 2nd mortgage they took out for your skating privates. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad