Tanner Glass

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
For anyone that truly thinks Glass is an adequate 4th liner for the Pens going into the playoffs, I hope you are the last ones to complain when the Pens are looking for some bottom 6 production (the kind Boston & Chicago regularly get) and the Pens roll out Tanner Glass and his 1 point in 29 career playoff games (a random shot lucky goal against NYI) to the field of battle.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Okay, if you think Tanner Glass is a good player can you please answer the following questionnaire:

1) Do you think Tanner Glass is a good/adequate 4th-line player?

2) If so, do you believe it's because of his size/grit?

3) If so, do you believe that size/grit equals physicality?

4) If so, do you believe that a 4th line with Tanner Glass is hard to play against?

5a) If so, based on?

5b) If not, re-answer #1

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think that his speed and PK makes him an adequate number 12. With superior linemates he could concentrate on getting in on the forecheck (in better position due to being the weak link on the line and not worrying about positioning as much) and trying to turn the puck over and punish the D.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think that his speed and PK makes him an adequate number 12. With superior linemates he could concentrate on getting in on the forecheck (in better position due to being the weak link on the line and not worrying about positioning as much) and trying to turn the puck over and punish the D.

Speed? In comparison to who, Craig Adams?

Being faster than Craig Adams doesn't mean you actually have good speed. It just means that if a bear is chasing you and Craig Adams, Craig Adams will be the bear's lunch.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think he's an adequate 4th liner that doesn't bring a unique enough skill set to justify his salary.

I agree somewhat with Cygnus, that he'd be better off if he just had free reign to be a banger.

He's not an elite roleplayer, but he's not horrible either.

Adams on the other hand, does nothing that Glass or Vitale don't do better, and the fact that his name is basically engraved in the line up sheet is absurd.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
I would take Glass and his salary over these players

Ralfi Torres 1.750
Adam Burish 1.850
David Clarkson 5.250
Joel Ward 3.000
Brandon Prust 2.500

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I do give him credit for bouncing back from an awful year. I'm fine with him being on the fourth line but he won't be back nor should he next season.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Ralfi Torres 1.750
Adam Burish 1.850
David Clarkson 5.250
Joel Ward 3.000
Brandon Prust 2.500

I can see the argument for Burish and maybe Prust although he is everything people like to pretend Glass is and much more. Prust is a significantly better hockey player than Glass, even if he's a little overpaid. That 2.5M salary is worth it to a team like Montreal who lacked exactly what Prust brings. Glass isn't worth what he brings to us.

Clarkson's contract is terrible, but how does it make any sense to compare a guy who's expected to produce in a top 6 or 9 role to Glass?

Torres' contract is actually pretty fantastic for everything he brings and Joel Ward is going to score at least 20 goals this year and is getting paid what most tweeners do.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Shocked to see Adams27 defending bad Bylsma guys!

3/5s of those guys aren't comparable to Glass

I wouldn't want Torres, but only for the dirty ****. If you're just talking hockey players, in a vacuum, I would much rather have Torres. But yes, I'd rather have Glass over Torres because we don't live in a vacuum. (Our lungs appreciate it)

Prust is overpaid, but I'd rather pay Prust 2.5MM than Pyatt 1.5, Glass 1.1, and Adams 700k.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i can name 5 people with worse contracts than glass therefore glass is a good player

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
-Tanner Glass is a good 4th liner on a cup contender

-Dupuis is a good 1st line RW because he's the cartilage

-Orpik is a shut down D man who is under appreciated around here

-Adams is our best PK'r

:sarcasm:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think we can all agree that if cloning were possible than Glass - Vitale - Glass would be a better line than Glass - Vitale - Adams. And as much as i like Engelland's versatility he's not an every day roster player.

I think next season we should build our 4th line around Vitale with a 30 year old or less RW at under $1 mill and platoon Gibbons and Sill on the LW as match ups and performance dictates.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Glass when used how he should be used is fine.

How Bylsma uses him and how he is a pet player...hate is justified.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
This thinking is exactly what I don't get sometimes. Too often its fourth liner = PKer with grit. That's garbage, give me the best line possible, not just one filled with grinders. Sure, being physical makes you hard to play against. Want to know what else makes you hard to play against? Maintaining possession and keeping the puck on the other team's half of the ice. Megna and Gibbons are both fully capable of playing sound defense but could actually make the line somewhat of a threat.

He's an average fourth liner, which is fine for an average team, but I'd like to see more. And as Shady put it, I really don't lose sleep over him as a singular player either, and he's far from our biggest problem. Still, ignoring any problem when you have a solution right there is the kind of stuff that's brought this team down the past few years.

Look at the Olympics, perfect example of building a team. Just because someone is a better hockey player doesn't make them a fit for a certain role. You put 4 skilled lines out there if the cap and talent pool will let you. But I think a complete team with role players would work better.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
I think we can all agree that if cloning were possible than Glass - Vitale - Glass would be a better line than Glass - Vitale - Adams. And as much as i like Engelland's versatility he's not an every day roster player.

I think next season we should build our 4th line around Vitale with a 30 year old or less RW at under $1 mill and platoon Gibbons and Sill on the LW as match ups and performance dictates.

you're dreaming if Vitale is on this team next year. He is a UFA and Dan never plays him. If I was him I would bolt and go somewhere where I would be played.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Ralfi Torres 1.750
Adam Burish 1.850
David Clarkson 5.250
Joel Ward 3.000
Brandon Prust 2.500

Other than Burish and maybe Prust, those aren't fair comparisons. Ward, Torres, and Clarkson (esp Clarkson) aren't 4th line players. I would take Torres and his salary 1 bazillion times out of 1 bazillion over Glass. Hell, we are paying Pyatt nearly that much and Torres brings actual nastiness and can score more.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Shocked to see Adams27 defending bad Bylsma guys!

3/5s of those guys aren't comparable to Glass

I wouldn't want Torres, but only for the dirty ****. If you're just talking hockey players, in a vacuum, I would much rather have Torres. But yes, I'd rather have Glass over Torres because we don't live in a vacuum. (Our lungs appreciate it)

Prust is overpaid, but I'd rather pay Prust 2.5MM than Pyatt 1.5, Glass 1.1, and Adams 700k.

I think Torres calmed down his dirty play after the Hossa incident (I don't believe he's been suspended since but could be wrong). He's the exact type of hockey player this 3rd line needs. Sub him in instead of Pyatt and our 3rd line is awesome:

Torres-Sutter-Bennett = awesome

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Look at the Olympics, perfect example of building a team. Just because someone is a better hockey player doesn't make them a fit for a certain role. You put 4 skilled lines out there if the cap and talent pool will let you. But I think a complete team with role players would work better.

Sure I'll take Callahan and Brown on the 4th line here. Maybe Tavares too. Cool argument.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think Torres calmed down his dirty play after the Hossa incident (I don't believe he's been suspended since but could be wrong). He's the exact type of hockey player this 3rd line needs. Sub him in instead of Pyatt and our 3rd line is awesome:

Torres-Sutter-Bennett = awesome

Sure, but it's like Matt Cooke. He can't deliver a clean/borderline hit without a full on NHL circus.

At some point you have to ask yourself if they are worth it over other 3rd liners?

Now, I would take Matt Cooke over anyone and everyone in our bottom-6 this year, but I'm hoping moving forward they are able to find some average or better players to fill the most-easiest-filled positions on the hockey team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sure, but it's like Matt Cooke. He can't deliver a clean/borderline hit without a full on NHL circus.

At some point you have to ask yourself if they are worth it over other 3rd liners?

Now, I would take Matt Cooke over anyone and everyone in our bottom-6 this year, but I'm hoping moving forward they are able to find some average or better players to fill the most-easiest-filled positions on the hockey team.

I agree. I'm not saying Torres is at the top of my list for players, just that he is much better than Tanner Glass and the contract is fairly solid.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
well glass better learn how to score now. With neal and Koon out we all know dan will be looking at him to replace either one of these two in the top six.

I might like Glass for the role he preforms but thinking that he now will be in the top six makes me puke in my mouth.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
you're dreaming if Vitale is on this team next year. He is a UFA and Dan never plays him. If I was him I would bolt and go somewhere where I would be played.

He's going to have trouble finding consistent work via UFA because of his size and that he isn't good enough to advance past the fourth.

Even excellent faceoff guys with decent or good size can't always solidify an every night job (Zigomanis and Steckel, respectively).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad