Tanner Glass

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
I don't get all the Glass hate around here. He does exactly what he was brought in to do. Check, penalty kill, block shots, aggitate, fight

So why akk the Glass hate? Its not his fault if the coach plays him out of position.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He was ridiculously bad last year. He has been better this year but it's hard for fans to separate how a player is utilized from there view of him. I mean if Bylsma plays him as part of a shutdown 3rd line, how do you propose we view his performance? Should it be evaluated is if he's a run of the mill 4th liner (which he is) or should it be as a 3rd liner who you trust to play shutdown defense?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I don't get all the Glass hate around here. He does exactly what he was brought in to do. Check, penalty kill, block shots, aggitate, fight

So why akk the Glass hate? Its not his fault if the coach plays him out of position.

There's clearly no way to convince Glass-lovers he's terrible, even though every stat in hockey shows it, and when he's on the ice, we spend the entire shift in our zone.

So how about this, what 4th liner on a contender is worse than Tanner Glass? The only one I can find is Craig Adams.

The reason people thing Glass is good, is because he's playing better than last year, and he's playing better than Adams. We had the opposite last year, Adams was playing better than Glass. But he's still no good.

And he's not an agitator. I don't think he's drawn a penalty all year. Harry Z drew more penalties in a few games than Glass did since he's been here. Cooke, Jarko Ruuttu, Matt Barnaby, even Kaspar were agitators. Glass isn't.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
In my opinion, I agree with Shady and Aiastelmon...he was horrific last year, and better this year; he has been hitting a little more "productively," (i.e. more often than he did last year WHEN the player has the puck, as opposed to AFTER -- which was the case 95% of the time last year) and is doing a decent job blocking shots, BUT...

...he REALLY does a poor job offensively -- and I don't mean scoring goals or setting them up. I'm talking about doing his part to maintain possession of the puck in the O-zone, while on the forecheck. To me, that's the job of the bottom 6 -- to play with energy, and to be good forecheckers (in ADDITION to being good defenders when the puck is in the D-zone). SO, while Glass does a decent job at times laying out hits, he's not in my mind all that physical in terms of board play -- i.e. doing his part through his stick- and body-checks to either force loose pucks/turnovers in the D-zone, or in winning puck battles to sustain possession while on the forecheck in the O-zone.

That would be how I view him; he is an offensive BLACK HOLE (and again, I'm not talking point production, I'm talking about helping to maintain possession time in the O-zone when on the forecheck).

He in my mind is decently suited as being a part of a very physical 4th line, which is deployed RARELY, and in situations where the coach SPECIFICALLY wants a punishing, physical shift from that line. Pairing him with two very physical players, and sending them out when you, as the coach, want to send a "physical" message, is what he's most suited for, IMO.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

If Glass would of played this way last year i feel like lots of people would like him, but since he was so disliked last year its hard to change people's opinion of him.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I think it's more of how he is used rather than actual hate towards him. As a fourth liner I think he is fine and I'm sure most reasonable posters would agree. However, playing him with Adams is a recipe for disaster. Playing him anywhere but 4th line lw is a disaster. He is ok on the pk mainly due to the fact he will block any shot. If he was our worst player I don;t think many would care, but him and Adams together is abylsma.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I find this year he has done his job pretty well, a lot better and more of an impact then last year. But at the end of the day, the bottom line is players like him and Adams are over used by DB, they create more of a mess then they really should out there and that's why it's that easy to point the finger in their direction. But it's the coaching staff that needs to cut the ice time and stop giving them some responsibilities that they ain't able to handle

Hopefully Shero sees this and doesn't bring some of these guys back

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think it's more of how he is used rather than actual hate towards him. As a fourth liner I think he is fine and I'm sure most reasonable posters would agree. However, playing him with Adams is a recipe for disaster. Playing him anywhere but 4th line lw is a disaster. He is ok on the pk mainly due to the fact he will block any shot. If he was our worst player I don;t think many would care, but him and Adams together is abylsma.

I guess I'm unreasonable, because Glass' ONLY skills are late body checks and blocking shots.

Both occur because he's too slow and bad to possess the puck.

Mentioned this is another thread - Glass' Corsi is significantly worse than Adams', despite spending a decent chuck of time on the top-3 lines. Both are issues, both are bad.

Worse is the ****ing PR campaign to make Glass seem good.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
- he was bad last year, but shortened season with no real training camp

- playing above the 4th line isn't his fault, with the injuries this year many players have played out of role.

- If you look around the league his cap hit is pretty standard with a veteran 4th liner. 700k-1.5m, look at Boston. Their 4th liners make that much. Like it or not glass even has around the same production as those guys as well

- compare Glass to Campbell, Paille, Thornton, stats and pay are very comparable.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
my hatred for glass has long since surpassed logic and reason. don't think that that means hating glass isn't logical or reasonable though

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He's bad?

He's less bad than he was last season but he's still bad. 1.1M on a guy who can't do anything with the puck, blocks shots because he rarely has the puck and hits late for the same reason. He's also slow so odds are he won't beat someone to the puck and if he does he can't do anything useful with it. Then we can get into misuse and playing him with Adams; they have better and cheaper options.

Credit to Glass, he blocked Weber's shot and I wouldn't want most players on the team to do that because they could get injured.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
there is no reasoning to my hatred of Glass...he was **** last year, he's decent this year, his contract makes me sick

I guess there is some reasoning

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
- he was bad last year, but shortened season with no real training camp

- playing above the 4th line isn't his fault, with the injuries this year many players have played out of role.

- If you look around the league his cap hit is pretty standard with a veteran 4th liner. 700k-1.5m, look at Boston. Their 4th liners make that much. Like it or not glass even has around the same production as those guys as well

- compare Glass to Campbell, Paille, Thornton, stats and pay are very comparable.

Well Paille and Campbell are much better players than Glass and Thornton can actually win fights.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Glass sucked last year, and $1.1M is pricey for a guy like him.

However with that said, he has been awesome this year, more physical, blocking shots, he's been a warrior. I hope he's re-signed.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Glass sucked last year, and $1.1M is pricey for a guy like him.

However with that said, he has been awesome this year, more physical, blocking shots, he's been a warrior. I hope he's re-signed.

He is going to be making too much money for his role, should be replaced by someone already in the org like Sill at half the price

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
I like glass ... strangely for a player that has no offensive game I still like him. Dan is a complete fool for playing him more minutes than he should and when I see glass with crosby, I completely hate him. That is not his fault though and I blame the coach for that. I think he would get a lot less hate if he had some other effective players on his line. Adams is a player who I see is pointless. At least Glass adds something to the team.

We have no other forwards that hit on the team. Our forwards are the softest bunch around and we have no other forward who will lay out a hit on a consistant basis. We need forwards that will hit as that does take it's toll on the defence in the playoffs. So while he is pretty crap overall he does fill a role that I don't see many other players in our organisation being able to do.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
he has been awesome this year

Wow...

awe·some
adjective \ˈȯ-səm\

: causing feelings of fear and wonder : causing feelings of awe

: extremely good

Not sure I would attach this adjective to Tanner Glass' play...

Passable as a member of a 4th line that sees spot duty, yes. Awesome? Wow...just not seeing it...

So while he is pretty crap overall he does fill a role that I don't see many other players in our organisation being able to do.

This is a little more reasonable IMO...he definitely has some "fearlessness" and "heart," and is willing to do his best to play physical, so there is room for that type of player on a team, if used in the appropriate (and limited) role...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

How are their stats comparable? And the worst of the three for Boston, Thornton, is a good fighter. But he plays over 3 minutes less per game than Glass. And these aren't even the most damning stats, if you look at Fenwick and Corsi, which have been discussed a lot lately, those stats place Glass among the worst forwards in the league.

Tanner Glass:

GP G A PTS +/- PIM SOG % PPG PPA SHG SHA GWG TOI/G
50 4 8 12 -6 81 42 9.5 0 0 0 0 0 11:39

Paille:
57 9 7 16 9 6 57 15.8 0 0 1 0 1 10:45

Campbell:
65 7 10 17 -1 36 71 9.9 0 0 1 1 2 11:48

Thornton:
48 4 2 6 2 63 68 5.9 0 0 0 0 0 8:25

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
Well Paille and Campbell are much better players than Glass and Thornton can actually win fights.

Are they though? Or do they play in a system where their system,roles and exeptations are set in stone? If you took Campbell or pialle and stuck just one of them on the pens would they do as well. Doubt it.

Glass is not the problem. In a 4th line role he's as good as anyone in the league, surround him with paille and Campbell and I'd bet you'd feel different about him.

You need a guy like glass on your team

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
no interest in 4th line guys with that kind of salary that dont both bring speed and physicality. either/or just isnt good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad