GDT: TankTown Express, SmashVille 7PM CST

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Gotta give props to Jordan Kyrou tonight. He’s getting better at puck battles and was puck hounding in all three zones tonight. Turned the tables and bailed his teammate out twice tonight after they gave up a D zone turnover. He needs to soak up as much stick wizardry from ROR as he can as that is going to be key for him to be a reasonably effective 2 way player and win more puck battles.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

If we are "too good not to" make the playoffs, we need to trade some people STAT. This year's draft and the potential draw of our pending UFAs is too good not to be a seller. Even if we make the playoffs, we are definitely not "too good not to" be swept in the first round. Keeping Tarasenko and RoR and getting another pick in the early 20s only to lose badly in the fuirst round would be the worst possible outcome of this season.

Granted, I take what Stillman is saying with a huge grain of salt given the setting, as it is probably just lip service.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Gotta give props to Jordan Kyrou tonight. He’s getting better at puck battles and was puck hounding in all three zones tonight. Turned the tables and bailed his teammate out twice tonight after they gave up a D zone turnover. He needs to soak up as much stick wizardry from ROR as he can as that is going to be key for him to be a reasonably effective 2 way player and win more puck battles.
And also get help from ROR on a little stick wizardry good for keeping the puck on his stick when trying to shoot after making a move right in front of the net!

Reactions: MissouriMook

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
If we are "too good not to" make the playoffs, we need to trade some people STAT. This year's draft and the potential draw of our pending UFAs is too good not to be a seller. Even if we make the playoffs, we are definitely not "too good not to" be swept in the first round. Keeping Tarasenko and RoR and getting another pick in the early 20s only to lose badly in the fuirst round would be the worst possible outcome of this season.
I agree. This team has GOT to get a really good first pairing D prospect, as well as lots of younger legs with faster speed, and some young skilled shooters, and a couple more young D-men prospects who are excellent puck carriers, and also decent sized. The time to start is NOW (before the trade deadline) and this offseason.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Granted, I take what Stillman is saying with a huge grain of salt given the setting, as it is probably just lip service.
He's also not an owner that gets too involved in these things, so I'd be absolutely shocked if he ever came out publicly and made negative comments, he's just never given me that type of vibe.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Our PK has looked so much better these last two games. We've been much more aggressive then we were previously this year and so far the results have been nothing but positive.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He's also not an owner that gets too involved in these things, so I'd be absolutely shocked if he ever came out publicly and made negative comments, he's just never given me that type of vibe.

He could also have just not said anything and instructed the interview to not mention it. You can also say "we know we're not very good and have a plan to fix it" without explicitly saying that. Looking at this team and its body of work and coming to say "we're staying the course" is incredibly disappointing and doesn't bode well for the future.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He could also have just not said anything and instructed the interview to not mention it. You can also say "we know we're not very good and have a plan to fix it" without explicitly saying that. Looking at this team and its body of work and coming to say "we're staying the course" is incredibly disappointing and doesn't bode well for the future.
I think you're reading too much into it. I seriously doubt he's going to Armstrong and telling him this is the group that we have to work with, or the opposite, of these guys must be traded. He lets Army do his thing, and he's takes more of a fan role. He's just always given me the vibe of being the positive personality, so it rubs off on people around him.

Reactions: Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

So you'd rather he said we're throwing in the towel? Just because a lot of fans have given up on this season doesn't mean the players, coaches and front office has. I'd say it's a lot easier to give up when you're not personally invested in the team, but ownership doesn't spend all that money to give up 1/3 of the way through the season.

Kind of crazy that fans find something to be salty about even after a big win, but here we are.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Right. He also recently gave his GM a contract that runs through 2025-26. There probably isn’t a GM in the league that is more trusted by his owner the Stillman/Army relationship nor is there a GM with more job security than Army. Fans just need to let things play out the next few months.

Also, Stillman’s voice sounds like a 90s pro wrestler that got up at noon after an all night bender to cut a promo.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So you'd rather he said we're throwing in the towel? Just because a lot of fans have given up on this season doesn't mean the players, coaches and front office has. I'd say it's a lot easier to give up when you're not personally invested in the team, but ownership doesn't spend all that money to give up 1/3 of the way through the season.

Kind of crazy that fans find something to be salty about even after a big win, but here we are.
Yeah, I took that as we are too good to lose by 4 every night. That we need to stay positive and make sure fans keep coming to the building for next few months. Not a mandate that we have to make playoffs at all costs.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Yes. I would rather the front office look the problem in the face and create a plan to fix it instead of throwing out vague feelings of belief in the roster.

Strickland is wrong; the goal every year isn't to make the playoffs. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup. If your roster cannot do that you need to be working on a path to do that. Saying "they're too good to miss the playoffs" about a team trending downwards, is under .500, has a bare prospect pool, and is already one of the oldest teams in the league is how you waste a decade picking 14th in the draft. It's prioritizing short term gratification over long term success.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yes. I would rather the front office look the problem in the face and create a plan to fix it instead of throwing out vague feelings of belief in the roster.

Strickland is wrong; the goal every year isn't to make the playoffs. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup. If your roster cannot do that you need to be working on a path to do that. Saying "they're too good to miss the playoffs" about a team trending downwards, is under .500, has a bare prospect pool, and is already one of the oldest teams in the league is how you waste a decade picking 14th in the draft. It's prioritizing short term gratification over long term success.
I agree with your premise, but only if we think Stillman speaks for the front office. Hopefully that isn't how DA will approach remainder of season/TDL. I don't think it is.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

32 teams, so you will win a cup on average about 3 times a century
if that is all that matters, it is a completely miserable way to approach something that is supposed to be fun

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Damn it we won.

AdorableSlipperyHarvestmen-max-1mb.gif

LgNtXH6.gif

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
32 teams, so you will win a cup on average about 3 times a century
if that is all that matters, it is a completely miserable way to approach something that is supposed to be fun
So wait, the jobs of an NHL player, coach, and GM are miserable ones when they’re whole reason to play/manage is to win a Stanley Cup?

I guess I should tell all of the athletes I train to find something that will make them happy instead of training to compete at high levels.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
So wait, the jobs of an NHL player, coach, and GM are miserable ones when they’re whole reason to play/manage is to win a Stanley Cup?

I guess I should tell all of the athletes I train to find something that will make them happy instead of training to compete at high levels.
no team, not one, is going to win every year
setting and working for a goal is great, but if it something that is unattainable, by how someone has defined their goal, it is ultimately useless -- it is why I see all those people clogging my gym in January and not the rest of the year, their "goal" and "reality" are mutually exclusive

over the course of time in a hard cap league, bad gm's, bad coaches, bad players, bad owners, statistically, will be evenly spread out across the league
so if someone wants to be miserable over the statistical probability that 93 out of 96 years their team won't win, go ahead, but I won't be joining in

setting a goal of making the playoffs is something that is attainable most years, and if you make the playoffs your chance of winning a championship, by mathematical definition, are infinitely greater than if you miss the playoffs

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I agree with your premise, but only if we think Stillman speaks for the front office. Hopefully that isn't how DA will approach remainder of season/TDL. I don't think it is.
I'm combining this one with Armstrong's interview with ESPN a few weeks ago(and also the general vibes I get that may or may not be completely off base). Armstrong spoke about how he doesn't think the city can stomach a rebuild, making the playoffs is important for the franchise, and that we don't need to because Thomas and Kyrou are PPG players. I just disagree with basically everything I've been hearing them say and it's frustrating to hear it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad