GDT: TankTown Express, SmashVille 7PM CST

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm combining this one with Armstrong's interview with ESPN a few weeks ago(and also the general vibes I get that may or may not be completely off base). Armstrong spoke about how he doesn't think the city can stomach a rebuild, making the playoffs is important for the franchise, and that we don't need to because Thomas and Kyrou are PPG players. I just disagree with basically everything I've been hearing them say and it's frustrating to hear it.
Do you think we need to tear it all down, move Thomas and Kyrou and start from scratch? I'm pretty sure Army also recently said that he's fine taking 1 step back to take 2 steps forward, or something along those lines. We do have pieces for the next core in place like Thomas and Kyrou. Use the pending UFAs to pick up a few more picks, and wherever our 1st ends up. We should be able to quickly pick up some solid prospects to build the next core around.

Hofer is looking like he could be the real deal, Snuggerud is looking really good, it's really just the defense that needs a big time prospect to come through.

Reactions: Blueston

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Imagine if the world were actually like "all falling short of success is miserable failure, so only miserable fools try." Honestly this is an embarrassing sentiment.

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It's December and we still have 27 more home games. I don't believe any game is a sellout yet and I've been seeing the price on resale tickets creep down a little bit. Ownership has every incentive to keep selling this team as competitive. That video was an intermission interview with our primary rights holder (who is probably not too thrilled with the product they have received this year).

This was marketing and I have zero reason to assume that Stillman's comments offer any insight into the real opinions/plans of ownership or the front office. Teams try to sell tickets around Christmas. There is nothing to gain in remaining silent or announcing a tank. There is tangible money to gain from selling people hope that the next game they spend money to watch will be better than a 3 goal loss.

This ownership and front office has already shown (twice) that they are willing to sell if the team is in playoff contention but not looking like actual Cup contenders. This interview doesn't make me nervous that they've lost the stomach to do that again.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
It's December and we still have 27 more home games. I don't believe any game is a sellout yet and I've been seeing the price on resale tickets creep down a little bit. Ownership has every incentive to keep selling this team as competitive. That video was an intermission interview with our primary rights holder (who is probably not too thrilled with the product they have received this year).

This was marketing and I have zero reason to assume that Stillman's comments offer any insight into the real opinions/plans of ownership or the front office. Teams try to sell tickets around Christmas. There is nothing to gain in remaining silent or announcing a tank. There is tangible money to gain from selling people hope that the next game they spend money to watch will be better than a 3 goal loss.

This ownership and front office has already shown (twice) that they are willing to sell if the team is in playoff contention but not looking like actual Cup contenders. This interview doesn't make me nervous that they've lost the stomach to do that again.
Executives are generally well versed and highly trained to kill with kindness. Most RIF I have been around in corporate space are surrounded by a bunch of salesmanship.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Do you think we need to tear it all down, move Thomas and Kyrou and start from scratch? I'm pretty sure Army also recently said that he's fine taking 1 step back to take 2 steps forward, or something along those lines. We do have pieces for the next core in place like Thomas and Kyrou. Use the pending UFAs to pick up a few more picks, and wherever our 1st ends up. We should be able to quickly pick up some solid prospects to build the next core around.

Hofer is looking like he could be the real deal, Snuggerud is looking really good, it's really just the defense that needs a big time prospect to come through.
I think we're ultimately going to need to go through at least a 3-5 year rebuild based on the average age of our contributors, our prospect pool, & our defense. Thomas, Kyrou, and Buch are great, but every year there's teams with a great line of forwards who aren't really threats because of holes everywhere else. The defense by committee plan has failed and we've locked up all 4 of them to higher prices deals. Ignoring ROR and Tarasenko who are likely gone, we have those 3 and Schenn as legitimate top 6 options and I don't know how long we count on Schenn for that. Other than that, there's Barbashev who looks like a 40 point player again and is a UFA, Accari who's a UFA again, & a lot of middling to not great 4th line options. I just don't see where the help is coming from short or medium term that we can avoid it. Our contract structure says we want to compete during that time but we clearly don't have the talent for it, and we don't have the prospects that we can reasonably expect to be plugged in and take us to contender territory.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
A hamster in a mech suit that only knew how to speak in eye blinks would have a better PK scheme than MacTavish.

A hamster that could design a system to piot a mech suit with no opposable thumbs and create a language out of eye blinks would be a damn smart rodent. Samrter than any human coaching hockey. Promote that little guy to head coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Linkens Mastery

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
A hamster that could design a system to piot a mech suit with no opposable thumbs and create a language out of eye blinks would be a damn smart rodent. Samrter than any human coaching hockey. Promote that little guy to head coach.
Are hamsters in mechs banned from playing in the NHL? Feels like a high IQ D would be huge for this team. And imagine the shot from the point you'd have with that too :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad