GDT: TankTown Express, Canadian Roadtrip Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Kyrou had the most TOI of all Blues forwards almost breaking 24 mins. And was only behind Krug and Faulk in TOI.

McDavid played almost 30 minutes.
Kyrou played really well tonight. +3! Thomas played well, too. Barbashev seems to be a good complement with them. That gives The Blues 3 good scoring lines. Maybe they're on their way to a decent last season before the re-tooling. I don't mind them not tanking. They can't get low enough to get a super player, anyway.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
How do we constantly keep McDavid to 1 point or less?
unicorn-magic.gif

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
lol at the Oilers fans blaming the refs instead of looking inwards. McJesus getting stripped by Kyrou on the tying goal was so awesome. What a great game by him

Reactions: Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kyrou played really well tonight. +3! Thomas played well, too. Barbashev seems to be a good complement with them. That gives The Blues 3 good scoring lines. Maybe they're on their way to a decent last season before the re-tooling. I don't mind them not tanking. They can't get low enough to get a super player, anyway.

Unfortunately, there is no re-tooling without trading ROR, Tarasenko and Barbs. I’m having a hard time believe Army will trade them knowing this is our last shot before the closes for a while.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
You have to admire the championship heart this team still has. Berube has taught them well.

The overall talent level is lacking but there are players on this team that will never quit trying and the veterans are passing that along to the kids.

I totally support a tear down. Without new contracts, you have to trade O'Reilly, Tarasenko and Barbashev. Can't just let them walk for nothing.

But games like this one show there are still Stanley Cup champ bones in this group.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Unfortunately, there is no re-tooling without trading ROR, Tarasenko and Barbs. I’m having a hard time believe Army will trade them knowing this is our last shot before the closes for a while.
But do we really have a shot? Even our wins lately don’t inspire confidence.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
lol at the Oilers fans blaming the refs instead of looking inwards. McJesus getting stripped by Kyrou on the tying goal was so awesome. What a great game by him

Yep, he was great last night. Binnington also made some huge saves to keep us in the game. He looked very solid as well. Easily the best two players for the Blues in that game.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I love watching a goalie battle to keep his team in a game and then get rewarded with 2 points. That 3 save sequence Binner made in the 3rd was enormous. Pure battle and desperation that did just enough to keep out a puck that absolutely should have gone in.

Marek and Friedman have talked a lot this year about what a #1 goalie looks like in the modern NHL. They have spent a ton of airtime selling the idea that you can no longer ask your goalie to steal you full games, but that you can just ask him to steal 1-2 periods and then make 1 more save than the other guy. We got that last night and he outdueled Saros in a 1-0 OT win on Monday. He put the team on his back this week and got us 5 of 6 possible points (including playing both games of a home B2B).

Binner's lows can be very low and I'm not sold that he can give us enough good nights over a 60+ game workload to get this team to the playoffs. But that top gear he has is something else. I completely understand why the organization has a difficult time punting the season when you have a goalie with that kind of A game. He's a guy that can turn a series that the team has no business winning.

Last edited:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
McDavid literally does not touch the puck in the offensive zone until after both Parayko and Draisaitl have touched it, and they are screaming that McDavid must be deemed in control of the puck during this time.

Anyone can watch the replay. He does not touch the puck in the offensive zone until after it is passed to him by Draisaitl, who got the puck after Parayko batted it. To believe that this entire process in the zone was McDavid being in control of the puck is embarrassing homerism. Really weak sauce Oiler fans, truly weak.

I get that it's McDavid, and thus nobody is allowed to make a pro's defensive play on him tying up his stick so that he loses control. Only McDavid can be intending to make hockey plays, ROR merely accidentally tied him up.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
McDavid literally does not touch the puck in the offensive zone until after both Parayko and Draisaitl have touched it, and they are screaming that McDavid must be deemed in control of the puck during this time.

Anyone can watch the replay. He does not touch the puck in the offensive zone until after it is passed to him by Draisaitl, who got the puck after Parayko batted it. To believe that this entire process in the zone was McDavid being in control of the puck is embarrassing homerism. Really weak sauce Oiler fans, truly weak.

I get that it's McDavid, and thus nobody is allowed to make a pro's defensive play on him tying up his stick so that he loses control. Only McDavid can be intending to make hockey plays, ROR merely accidentally tied him up.
I don't think you have to go so far as saying he was in control the entire process in the zone in order to argue that he was onside. You can argue that he had control until the moment ROR stick checked his stick and prevented him from touching the puck. That would mean that he was in control at the moment the puck crossed the blueline and was thus onside.

I think the NHL correctly determined that it was a contested puck at the time he crossed the line and ROR's stick check to prevent McDavid from touching it just inside the blueline demonstrated that. But I get the argument the other way and it doesn't require someone to say that he then continued to maintain control as the puck skittered 15 feet in front of him.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
I get the Oiler annoyance/confusion over this one (and the Makar goal). I don't like either. Obviously I'm happy we won. But I'd hate that call if it were going against us.

I think most hockey fans had a "spirit of the rule" view of offside up until Makar's goal -- i.e. Makar clearly had possession and control of the puck, even if the puck wasn't making physical contact with his blade. We've since learned the NHL has some kind of weird black/white interpretation of offside where the most important thing is the precise moment the puck carrier makes physical contact with the puck. In a game as fast as hockey, this makes it that much harder to make the right call in real time, necessitating these horrendous reviews.

The thing that really chaps my ass is that no one cared about a play being a hair's width offside prior to these reviews -- because we operated under the aforementioned spirit of the rule. We allowed for some element of human error in the game. That's gone, possibly forever, and now all the other human errors in the game that aren't reviewable look that much worse. Review everything!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Frobbo

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I don't think you have to go so far as saying he was in control the entire process in the zone in order to argue that he was onside. You can argue that he had control until the moment ROR stick checked his stick and prevented him from touching the puck. That would mean that he was in control at the moment the puck crossed the blueline and was thus onside.

I think the NHL correctly determined that it was a contested puck at the time he crossed the line and ROR's stick check to prevent McDavid from touching it just inside the blueline demonstrated that. But I get the argument the other way and it doesn't require someone to say that he then continued to maintain control as the puck skittered 15 feet in front of him.
I see what you are saying, but the way I see the rule is that the "player remains in control" is the exception to the statutory rule of physical offsides. We were only in the "does this meet the exception" debate once he was conclusively determined physically offside. So if I'm trying to let the exception kick in and allow the goal to be valid I need to see the player touch the puck again.

In other words, we have to see affirmative visual evidence that the exception is met once we've seen definitively the statutory part was broken, and we never get that. In fact we get the opposite.

Edit: an Oiler fan helpfully provided the key demand for a further data point in the rule. The player is deemed in control of the puck and meets the exception to the physical offsides rule "provided the player in control of the puck continues propelling the puck." He quite plainly fails this textual rule requirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Maybe a shot and sneaking into the last WC, which maybe cause him to hold. I don’t agree with it, but I can understand that mentality
we absolutely can make playoffs, but do we realistically have a chance to win Cup? that should be question.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I get the Oiler annoyance/confusion over this one (and the Makar goal). I don't like either. Obviously I'm happy we won. But I'd hate that call if it were going against us.

I think most hockey fans had a "spirit of the rule" view of offside up until Makar's goal -- i.e. Makar clearly had possession and control of the puck, even if the puck wasn't making physical contact with his blade. We've since learned the NHL has some kind of weird black/white interpretation of offside where the most important thing is the precise moment the puck carrier makes physical contact with the puck. In a game as fast as hockey, this makes it that much harder to make the right call in real time, necessitating these horrendous reviews.

The thing that really chaps my ass is that no one cared about a play being a hair's width offside prior to these reviews -- because we operated under the aforementioned spirit of the rule. We allowed for some element of human error in the game. That's gone, possibly forever, and now all the other human errors in the game that aren't reviewable look that much worse. Review everything!!!!!!!!!
that's the rub.. to proceed the puck into the zone it has to be on your stick

the McDavid play was def offsides, cause he didn't get his stick back on it till after he was already in the zone, and the puck was already in the zone. that's offsides... no interpretation about it

we absolutely can make playoffs, but do we realistically have a chance to win Cup? that should be question.
regardless of how hot the team was, what were the odds in 18/19 to win the cup? I honestly don't know, but I'd like to lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad