GDT: TankTown Express: Battle Of the Tanks

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
So in the end we swapped Vrana and Perron with Detroit. Could be the same goal potential and got significantly younger.

Starting to feel like next year's retool will not be a complete gong show with the players we've brought in/up. May not be the playoffs, but should have stretches of decent hockey. Fix the defense over the off season

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Vrana is ruining our tank, but if we sign him long term, It’s better than 2-3 spots in a draft….. I think. Unless we miss on a generational talent at # 7 or 8 compared to who’ll we picking at 10-11

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Pretty good crowd last night. Tuesday game against a bad, non-division opponent with the only standings implications bine related to a couple tanks. Like every Blues game right now, I went into last night hoping for an exciting loss. The Blues almost delivered that and at least we gave Vancouver a point. The energy in the building made it pretty easy to cheer for Blues goals last night. This team still has plenty of issues to address and I'm not sold that a new D coach/system is enough to get the team's defense out of the basement. But next year is shaping up to have some fun hockey.

Not thrilled about a banking 11 points in our last 7 games, because that has really hurt the draft odds. But at least a lot of the success is being driven by new players who are under contract for next season. I don't expect Vrana to keep up the current pace and be a 50+ goal guy moving forward, but he is certainly looking like a guy who can be a long-term goal scoring winger for the Blues or a guy who can return a very solid asset at the deadline next year. His release looks so damn good in person. Blais is looking like the best version of himself from his first stint here and once again looks like a guy who is capable of playing a passenger role on a variety of lines. Kapanen has looked better than I expected.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Forgot to mention Neighbours in my post!

Loved his fight. Burroughs can scrap and has 7 fights over 40 games played this year. This was a couple weight classes up from Jake's fight a couple months ago and it would have been completely reasonable for a rookie to simply tie up and wrestle the fight to a gentler conclusion after the first couple punches he ate. Instead, he tied up for a second while he collected himself, changed his grip and quickly landed the best punch of the fight.

I also liked that they didn't call an instigator here. I support the league trying to crack down on some of the fights following clean hits, but this was not a situation to penalize for going after Neighbours. His hit was bad enough that he should have had to answer the bell.

I get why the organization likes this kid so much. He is still a ways away from being a complete NHLer, but he just feels like an NHL player. That didn't look like a rookie fighting his first middleweight.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Forgot to mention Neighbours in my post!

Loved his fight. Burroughs can scrap and has 7 fights over 40 games played this year. This was a couple weight classes up from Jake's fight a couple months ago and it would have been completely reasonable for a rookie to simply tie up and wrestle the fight to a gentler conclusion after the first couple punches he ate. Instead, he tied up for a second while he collected himself, changed his grip and quickly landed the best punch of the fight.

I also liked that they didn't call an instigator here. I support the league trying to crack down on some of the fights following clean hits, but this was not a situation to penalize for going after Neighbours. His hit was bad enough that he should have had to answer the bell.

I get why the organization likes this kid so much. He is still a ways away from being a complete NHLer, but he just feels like an NHL player. That didn't look like a rookie fighting his first middleweight.
Yes, Jake's hit was dangerous, similar to the near neck-breaking hit that Barbie absorbed prior to the trade. I didn't mind at all Burroughs jumping Jake.

Also agree that, while he is incomplete, Jake simply oozes NHLer. It was easy to see in his brief stint last season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yes, Jake's hit was dangerous, similar to the near neck-breaking hit that Barbie absorbed prior to the trade. I didn't mind at all Burroughs jumping Jake.

Also agree that, while he is incomplete, Jake simply oozes NHLer. It was easy to see in his brief stint last season.
I thought this played out appropriately last night. Jake's hit was borderline dirty, Canuck tough guy was rightfully upset and challenged him, and Jake answered bell. And then he sang along with Beastie Boys while in sin bin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad