Speculation: Tanking?

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
maybe unintentionally but by design no. if they were they would be selling off some key pieces and not replacing them.

James Reimer

I Stop Pucks
Oct 25, 2011
Toronto
Should wait and see what happens at FA before making this thread

depends who we pick up tbh

I wouldnt mind another bad year for the Leafs if it means we get McDavid or Eichel

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Bit of a stretch, but why not wait to see how the dust settles before making assumptions. Millions of dollars in playoff revenues, and shareholders of MLSE will tell you not making the playoffs is not an option.

CaymanIslands

Apr 12, 2014
Cayman Islands
1. Draft picked a player who won't make the team like Ritchie might
2. Let Kulimen walk
3. Lost Raymond
4. Lost McClement
5. Polak is good but lost offense
6. No big trade

I think we slide before we raise

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
But have to wonder what direction this club is taking. and ya I guess lets wait and see. Maybe a bit early to assume. But I think they are but not telling anyone ;)

Guess we will see what happens in the coming days/months.

Just thought since they claim there not bringing back those 4,5 guys mentioned. They will suit up Marlies on the cheap.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
With the new draft lottery system being put in place (pending ratification from the nhlpa) can teams even tank anymore? Nonetheless, I think our roster is too good to tank, but not good enough to contend. Middle of the pack.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Nope, Nonis has said we're looking to be competitive next year!

It's alright, he sucks at that too. I'm counting on another 9th-12th place finish because potatoes.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
How much did everyone love picking Nylander?
Would you like some more?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Bit of a stretch, but why not wait to see how the dust settles before making assumptions. Millions of dollars in playoff revenues, and shareholders of MLSE will tell you not making the playoffs is not an option.[/QUOTE]

Would they now? Suddenly they are going to speak up? :amazed:

leafstilldeath*

We couldnt fail for Nail
We couldnt be enough bad for Elblad
But
We gotta be horrid for McDavid

Tank full on :yo:

;)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
1. Draft picked a player who won't make the team like Ritchie might
2. Let Kulimen walk
3. Lost Raymond
4. Lost McClement
5. Polak is good but lost offense
6. No big trade

I think we slide before we raise
1. Leafs chose a skilled potential #1 centre over gritty offensive winger
2. Kulemin hasn't walked
3. Raymond hasn't walked
4. McClement hasn't walked but hasn't played as well as he has years prior
5. Leafs defence needs to focus on defence first. Offence is not as big of an issue compared to shots against
6. Big trades = shaking things up but points 2-5 look like you don't want change. Big trades guarantee nothing.

Going back to #2-4, let's see who the Leafs plan on replacing them with before we assume the team will be worse. The Leafs can't just throw a ton of money to pay Kulemin and McClement tons of money in long-term contracts and have none left over afterwards. They have to look at the budget and sign Gardiner now, and account for Kadri and Bernier next year. Would we need to find new replacements for our PK? Absolutely. With Mason Raymond, we were fortunate to have him for a year at $1million and that was a bargain. But when you throw a few more million at him, the bargain is gone and you have to compare the pros with the cons. Even at $1million, we constantly heard Leafs fans complaining about the cons too.

Just my opinion, but I don't think any of your points show that the Leafs are planning to tank.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Bit of a stretch, but why not wait to see how the dust settles before making assumptions. Millions of dollars in playoff revenues, and shareholders of MLSE will tell you not making the playoffs is not an option.[/QUOTE]

Would they now? Suddenly they are going to speak up? :amazed:

What exactly are you talking about? Are you suggesting that MLSE and their shareholders don't value the importance of playoff revenue? Or are you disappointed that Keith Pelley and Keith Crull have not reached out to you personally to assure you, of not only the blatantly obvious, but that they actually want to the team to do well? There is no collusion, but it is in the best interest of the entire NHL from a revenue standpoint, for the Leafs to not only do well, but be a Stanley cup contender year in and year out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad