Tanked season not hindering Ennis... Played his way into the "future core"?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Absolutely terrific tonight.

He was. But this is how he has been since Girgensons went down. And all year it has been good, but this is marvelous.

I'm waiting for someone to say "tone it down, he's not playing that well and we suck"... I don't think that's fair. He has been as good as people say...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Far to often people look at what a player doesn't have opposed to what he actually does have. Ennis will never been a great defensive player, or a guy who is going to make the perfect play all the time, or ever lead a team to a cup. What he has is an unbelievable compete level which will never be questioned, can create offense with pretty much anyone, and be a guy who can really compliment guys like Reinhart and Girgensons. Him being 5-9 is really just a number, because he plays alot bigger then that.

There is a reason why guys like Tim Murray, Lindy Ruff, Craig Button and Pierre McGuire really like him, but on here it seems every player needs to the perfect hockey player. He is in on .29% of our goals, which would equate to him having 58 points right now on a team with 200 goals.

The interesting thing is, does his production go up when we improve and he gets to slip into the background instead of being the focal point? or does it decrease as talent passes him?

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Ennis is absolutely a top 6 forward on a contender. I would be glad to have Ennis as our LW2. I would say we have about half of our top 9 locked up for the next few years.

Ennis, Girgensons, Moulson, Reinhart and Kane. Foligno probably too. I think Ennis can be a 25-35-60 type player on the Sabres when we are contending for cups.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Far to often people look at what a player doesn't have opposed to what he actually does have. Ennis will never been a great defensive player, or a guy who is going to make the perfect play all the time, or ever lead a team to a cup. What he has is an unbelievable compete level which will never be questioned, can create offense with pretty much anyone, and be a guy who can really compliment guys like Reinhart and Girgensons. Him being 5-9 is really just a number, because he plays alot bigger then that.

There is a reason why guys like Tim Murray, Lindy Ruff, Craig Button and Pierre McGuire really like him, but on here it seems every player needs to the perfect hockey player. He is in on .29% of our goals, which would equate to him having 58 points right now on a team with 200 goals.

The interesting thing is, does his production go up when we improve and he gets to slip into the background instead of being the focal point? or does it decrease as talent passes him?

Completely agree. Ennis will be a 60 pt player on a good team.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I've stayed out of this thread so far, but I can't believe this is even a question. He's one of the few unquestionable bright spots on the team. Absolutely dynamic offensive player with high skill and compete levels. He's not going to win the Selke, but so what. He could play 1st line wing on most teams in the league. I can't wait to see what he can do with better players around him.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I've stayed out of this thread so far, but I can't believe this is even a question. He's one of the few unquestionable bright spots on the team. Absolutely dynamic offensive player with high skill and compete levels. He's not going to win the Selke, but so what. He could play 1st line wing on most teams in the league. I can't wait to see what he can do with better players around him.

People seem to not understand this, the reality is Perry, Nash, Ovechkin are not typical 1st line wingers, they are superstars. He isn't going to be a driver on a first line, but he could run with Eichel or McDavid and be a productive first liner.

Presten

Feb 21, 2010
Berlin

I like Ennis a lot, but I dont view him as a first line wing on most teams, if any. So out of curiosity; which top line wingers would you (or any of the other posters in this thread) demote to a second line spot to fit Ennis on the top line?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Pretty hilarious moment on Dallas broadcast last night. They were raving about Ennis all night and on the Dallas 3rd goal (their) Rayzor talks about how phenomenal he thinks Ennis is... as Matt Moulson, Meszaros and Strachan stand around and watch the puck go into Buffalo's net.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I like Ennis a lot, but I dont view him as a first line wing on most teams, if any. So out of curiosity; which top line wingers would you (or any of the other posters in this thread) demote to a second line spot to fit Ennis on the top line?

OK, I'm using this link for info (I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, but it is current info on teams' "top lines"): http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nhl.aspx

I would say Ennis is roughly as good as, or better than, or almost as good as, the following "top line" wingers. I know some of these guys are better defensively or are better forecheckers, but I think Ennis could hang on these top lines:

ANA - Beleskey (or Silfverberg if he's 1st)

BOS - Ennis has as many points as Lucic and Eriksson. Whether he's "better" than they are is obviously debatable. But he could certainly play on that line and not be out of place. This applies to several other guys below, as well

CAR - Lindholm

CBJ - Atkinson

DAL - Hemsky

FLA - Jagr, Boyes

LAK - Brown, Lewis

MTL - Gallagher

NSH - Cullen

NJD - Henrique, Bernier

NYI - Okposo

OTT - MacArthur (if he's really playing 1st line)

PHI - Schenn

ARI - Boedker, Doan

SJS - Wingels

TOR - JVR (probably not, but he's not playing that great this year according to most TML fans)

WSH - Brouwer

The point is that not every top line winger in the NHL is an elite player. Flame away.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
People seem to not understand this, the reality is Perry, Nash, Ovechkin are not typical 1st line wingers, they are superstars. He isn't going to be a driver on a first line, but he could run with Eichel or McDavid and be a productive first liner.

This. Hes our best RW in the organization. He will fit in just fine on the top line.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Totally agree. The fact this this is not only a question, but that there are actually people that are saying he's merely a 3rd liner, is mind-boggling.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
solid list, but dont like Barrie at 1...not sure Wheeler should be on there, Patches definitely not.

i'd have Nick Foligno & Kris Russell in there

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Well, Pysyk is not an NHLer yet....

I like in the article,"Ennis is becoming a committed physical presence."

What do they use to measure this? Oh SI, stick to football.

Maybe they have some who watch games?

I don't love SI for hockey fodder, but you need to watch about five minutes of Ennis in about two games to see how much more he has committed himself physically.

He never shied away in the past, but this year, he engages. And he doesn't get tossed around or obliterated like you'd expect would happen on occasion to the diminutive forward.

Not you, HFR, but in general:

Why won't people give him credit in areas they don't want to believe he is decent in, or has improved in? Like his physical game in the neutral and offensive zones on the forecheck; or his play with possession now being a positive and not an Afinogenegative; or his play away from the puck in our zone...

People really love holding grudges or personal vendettas.

I have never seen Steen's name mention but has always put up solid numbers.

He's a top six winger for sure IMO

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Crawford doesn't belong on that list.

Agreed.

He's not an elite starter.

The only way to think he is overrated is that he gets a lot of criticism because of his mediocre play related to his salary. Basically the same thing as with Dion Phaneuf.

Phaneuf is not as bad d-man as he get criticism. It's just that he has too big contract and too much burden and responsibility. Is he "underrated" because of that? Not sure is that the right term for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad