Tanked season not hindering Ennis... Played his way into the "future core"?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
One Sabre has turned in his best all-around season

In a year that has seen such a dreadful collective showing put forth... And a year in which the end really can't come soon enough...I think it's definitely time to praise Ennis for being the one consistent thing from start to finish.

But in this miserable 2015 season, one forward has done something remarkable, given what’s around him. Something that has unfairly gone unspoken throughout the season for which I am running out of adjectives to justly depict it.

Tyler Ennis has turned in his best all-around season as a professional. He has been the one consistent and present factor for the Sabres, and has firmly played his way into the core of the Sabres’ future.

In prior years, he was about as polarizing as they come. But wouldn't even his biggest detractors commend him for the season he has put forth? The last sentence is the stickler:

In a season like this, good things are hard to come by, but should be acknowledged when present. Tyler Ennis has turned in a solid season. Is it fair to say he can’t be counted on to be the top guy? Yes. Is it fair to say he can’t be a key contributor in a top-9 role on a winning team? No way.

If he wasn't already there in your mind, has Ennis played his way into the future solution? Or is he still the last remaining piece from the old regime that we need to turn out?

Last edited:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I always liked Ennis and I think he's put together a solid season. He does a lot of good things, using his speed and puck handling to open space for himself and his linemates. And most nights, I'd imagine, against the toughest defence opponents can bring. Because Ennis' line is about the only threat we've got. And still he puts up points and highlight plays.

On top of that, he also shows leadership quality because he doesn't quit on his team, he goes into the dirty areas and despite his not so terrifying size he throws some good hits. I would say his allround game has improved. We always knew he had offensive upside.

Yes, Ennis is part of the future core. With Myers out of town, he's the veteran of that core.

One thing this season has done is finally kill the Ennis vs Hodgson debate. ;)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
As a detractor, this was by far his best season.

My takeaways:
Don't ever try to put him at center again

He has a top 9 scoring role on the wing until someone bigger, stronger, and better takes it from him

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He's still an asset to me. I don't trust him as a first line scorer, he can't play on the checking line, and the opportunity cost of returning him to a sheltered, offensive zone role, is huge.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
It could still go either way. I doubt Murray's overly attached to him, so if a deal comes along for something that he likes involving Ennis, he'll be traded. If he ends up staying on the team, he's played well enough where he'll have a spot. It's a solid place for Murray to be in since either option is good.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
He's still an asset to me. I don't trust him as a first line scorer, he can't play on the checking line, and the opportunity cost of returning him to a sheltered, offensive zone role, is huge.

Sure, you can't use him on a checking or shut down line, but don't we have plenty of Swiss army knifes to go around? I think we can afford to have a pure offensive guy on the team.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
As a detractor, this was by far his best season.

My takeaways:
Don't ever try to put him at center again

He has a top 9 scoring role on the wing until someone bigger, stronger, and better takes it from him

I agree with this. Ennis should not ever play center, but he is a top 9 (or even top 6) talent in this rebuild. Hodgson on the other hand........

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Sure, you can't use him on a checking or shut down line, but don't we have plenty of Swiss army knifes to go around? I think we can afford to have a pure offensive guy on the team.
But playing him there likely tips the balance of that line from one guy in need of sheltering to two.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Ideally when this team is contending he should be feasting on tge third line with grigo or Larsson or whichever young prospect turns out.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I think he's definitely a second line RW at least on a good team. I can see him putting up huge numbers with Reinhart and Girgensons or someone a few years down the line.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
He's the only player on this team who's consistently looked like an actual top 6 forward over the last two seasons.

I'd say there's no doubt he's a part of the future core. Even more than that, I don't really see anyone in the Sabres system who could replace him and move him down to the 3rd line in the near future.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He's the only player on this team who's consistently looked like an actual top 6 forward over the last two seasons.

I'd say there's no doubt he's a part of the future core. Even more than that, I don't really see anyone in the Sabres system who could replace him and move him down to the 3rd line in the near future.

Devils broadcast had Nolan pegging Ennis as a "38-40g scorer if he plays with a talented center - not meant to be a slight on Larsson"...

Yep you read it right. Hope it's not too confusing.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think if Ennis were on a better team he'd be a household name at least in the realms of a Sharp, Kunitz etc 2nd or 3rd tier

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Ennis is useful but TM should trade him if he gets good+ value.
I would keep him, hope for more EV goals as the team improves and then determine his future in summer 2017.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ennis is useful but TM should trade him if he gets good+ value.
I would keep him, hope for more EV goals as the team improves and then determine his future in summer 2017.

Determine his future as in another test year to see if he "earns" a spot with his play? Or gauge the trades in an inevitable deal of some form? The latter is a bit absurd

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
He's a useful asset, and entirely dispensable should the right trade arise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad