Confirmed with Link: Tank thread: All over but the shouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Four years and counting, and five years out of the last six with no playoffs. In fact over the past four seasons, no team in the NHl has had as poor a winning percentage as the Canucks.

You'd think with top-10 draft picks in five of the last six seasons, the Canucks would be a lot further ahead. But the whiffs have been well documented. And poor trades and UFA signings haven't helped either.

But if you believe conventional wisdom, nobody in the Canucks front office is going to pay with their jobs for this mediocrity. Amazing really.

Actually the Canucks got quite lucky with some picks despite some terrible picks early with Juolevi and Virtanen. Boeser and Pettersson make up that difference just fine. They really do need Lind to become something though as the D that went right after him are... well showing a lot better than Lind right now.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Actually the Canucks got quite lucky with some picks despite some terrible picks early with Juolevi and Virtanen. Boeser and Pettersson make up that difference just fine. They really do need Lind to become something though as the D that went right after him are... well showing a lot better than Lind right now.
2016 hurt us really bad...not just the Juolevi pick but trading that 33rd overall pick in the guddy trade. Debrinct was right there

Reactions: y2kcanucks

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
#firebenning

Now that we're officially eliminated, brace yourselves for the barrage of excuses why we didn't make it this year.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I can't wait until I can actually cheer for this team to be successful. Benning needs to go before this team excites me again. We have shiny new prospects but with a drunk captain, you have to wonder if these guys jump overboard after enough icebergs tear massive holes into the body of the ship and it continues to sink. Can we get someone that actually has a chance at sailing to the promised land, please?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
2016 hurt us really bad...not just the Juolevi pick but trading that 33rd overall pick in the guddy trade. Debrinct was right there

I dont like this logic.

33rd is worth a 33rd,not the player that the team holding the 33rd picked (or a player that was picked right after etc.)

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Juolevi is a wildcard, if he can make the lineup next year and put up 20-30 points it would have to be considered a massive success.

Virtanen is another one. Can he build off this 15 goal season or was it a fluke?

Both players need to become consistent contributing members of this team. They were picked way too high not to be.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Juolevi is a wildcard, if he can make the lineup next year and put up 20-30 points it would have to be considered a massive success.

Virtanen is another one. Can he build off this 15 goal season or was it a fluke?

Both players need to become consistent contributing members of this team. They were picked way too high not to be.
Feel like theres been no news about Juolevi following his surgery.

I can't wait until I can actually cheer for this team to be successful. Benning needs to go before this team excites me again. We have shiny new prospects but with a drunk captain, you have to wonder if these guys jump overboard after enough icebergs tear massive holes into the body of the ship and it continues to sink. Can we get someone that actually has a chance at sailing to the promised land, please?
The dream is a complete wipeout of upper management followed by a new GM reemplimenting the progressive thinking and processes put in by Gillis and trading away redundant assets for picks. I long for the days where players like Sutter, Eriksson, Granlund, Schaller, Spooner, and Pouliot are all gone. The winger depth on this team is garbage, yuck.

Reactions: Luckylarry

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Hell no. Both these players would be big wins if they provide marginally adequate depth in the bottom six and on the bottom pair. Expecting anything else is a low probability event.

Virtanen should probably be shopped. Juolevi is an AHL PP defenseman with questionable defensive play even at that level.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tell that to Edmonton and Toronto who had nothing on defense coming out of their rebuilds

I think in round one a team should always pick BPA from their list. Then, if needed, trade one of the young forward assets for D help. Chia Pet tried doing that in Edmonton (Griffin and Adam) but failed miserably in identifying talent. The Leafs got Muzzin.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I'm all for losing every single game remaining this season in order to strengthen our draft position. As long as our youth (Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Demko, Gaudette), put up points and continue to improve, then I'm a happy man.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Most years I would be more into the tank but I actually really like the forwards at 5-8 this year as well and I don't see a huge difference between them. Better odds for the top 3 would be better for sure but there's not much spots to move up or down now regardless.

I sorta feel the same way about the players but a better draft position gives you more choices and a better chance of picking a guy you really like before he gets poached by a team drafting before you.This goes in every other round as well.
2017 the Rangers wanted Pettersson in a bad way and wanted to trade up but couldn't and he went to us 2 picks before they got their selection.They had to settle for Lias Andersson instead and he's been underwhelming while Pettersson has been breaking scoring records and will win the Calder going away.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Both had/have the option of trading one of their forward prospects for defensive depth. Edmonton just has ****ty pro scouting, much like Vancouver.

BPA, always.

I think that Benning would not have drafted Lindros if in Quebec's shoes. "BPA, BPA". That should be the chant at Rogers these remaining games.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
You are simply wrong.

You dont pick for position ever.
Except Byram is possibly the #1 talent in this draft. He should be mentioned more often with the top2 because he’s that damn good. He’s got the fire in his belly, the talent on the ice and smarts in his head to be the best player from this draft.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Even if we loose out a bottom 5 finish is unlikely. The tank is dead, hoping Boldy is available in the 8/9 slot

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Except Byram is possibly the #1 talent in this draft. He should be mentioned more often with the top2 because he’s that damn good. He’s got the fire in his belly, the talent on the ice and smarts in his head to be the best player from this draft.

That is not the argument Yultron is making. If he said I think Forward X will be available and will be the best player there, I have no problem with that.

He is advocating skipping a better prospect in favor of a position he wants to see filled through the draft.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
I dont like this logic.

33rd is worth a 33rd,not the player that the team holding the 33rd picked (or a player that was picked right after etc.)
He was high on the canucks list apparently...jimbo even personally scouted him during a eastren road trip

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's not over yet, we still need to lose the remaining 4 games.

Then on to the 2019-20 Tank Season. Tank for Lafreniere.

I can't/won't cheer for this team until Benning is fired. It's not in me to support stupidity.

Reactions: yvrtojfk and HSD19

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The furthest I can see us falling is 5th last, in all likelihood we will finish 25th and pick somewhere around 7th or 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad