OT: Tank mode - 2019 draft

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We might not get top6 center/winger at this off-season. What if we draft it for instead of hoping it.

1. trade away Berglund and Sobotka this off-season or at least TDL for pick(s).
2. trade away Jbo and Gunnar at TDL for pick(s).
3.re-evaluate Steen is he tradable? What is his value and when trade him? Worth of 1st round pick? Trade him at TDL or next off-season? Steen has 3-years of his contract left, 7mill.$(18-19), 5.50mill.$(19-20) and last year is 3.50mill.$(20-21)

Hold on our 2019 1st round pick no matter what. And add at least 2-3 2nd round pick or more.

4. search @elkranio + add pictures
5. wait and hope the best

AeYSsul.png

RWFqtNY.png

Reactions: STLBLUES44

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I’ll be honest I was very hopeful this team would look different and competitive by this time in the offseason and I’ve been sorely disappointed. I know this isn’t from lack of trying as DA seems to be doing what he can. I expected us to make a couple of upgrades and push for a playoff run this 18-19 season. I’m aware that there is still ample time for moves to be made, but adding an elite player notwithstanding, I don’t believe that we should move futures for help now. Guys like Skinner and ROR don’t make this team a contender, this year or next.

With that being said, if we can’t make two significant moves I’m all on board for playing the kids, saving some cap so that playoff revenue isn’t required to break even, sell off steen, berglund, sobotka, Gunnarsson, Bouwmeester for futures, and take on some bad salary to gain assets. Target high end prospects, and 1/2 round picks for 2019.

Let the kids pave their own path for the next two years and show us what they’ve got, add in picks over the next two years, and pray for Jack Hughes.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Oh God...is this because we didn't land Tavares? Panarin? Some other overpriced elite player?

Did Tavares make it to the SCF this year? Did Panarin?

What is with the panic and dispair in these forms? Get a grip.

Go outside and enjoy the day ... and ask "John Tavares who?"

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Don't really want to see a full tank mode situation. That would be tough to take for the whole season. However, I have no issue with playing the youth and selling off the usual suspects to get picks for next year. Actually, I would much prefer this plan as it would be potentially healthier for the franchise in the long run. The 2019 draft is loaded with centers so it's a good draft to stock up picks.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I’m not in panic mode, I’m perfectly calm!

But seriously, I really think we have to let the kids develop we have a great set of prospects and a core that is going to be there in 2-3 years to be the veteran presence you need. Let’s not mortgage the prospects for mediocre additions

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I’m not in panic mode, I’m perfectly calm!

But seriously, I really think we have to let the kids develop we have a great set of prospects and a core that is going to be there in 2-3 years to be the veteran presence you need. Let’s not mortgage the prospects for mediocre additions

You and I are in agreement then.

I just sense a lot of dispair around here because the rumours have the Blues out of the hunt for Tavares and Panarin.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
We might not get top6 center/winger at this off-season. What if we draft it for instead of hoping it.

1. trade away Berglund and Sobotka this off-season or at least TDL for pick(s).
2. trade away Jbo and Gunnar at TDL for pick(s).
3.re-evaluate Steen is he tradable? What is his value and when trade him? Worth of 1st round pick? Trade him at TDL or next off-season? Steen has 3-years of his contract left, 7mill.$(18-19), 5.50mill.$(19-20) and last year is 3.50mill.$(20-21)

Hold on our 2019 1st round pick no matter what. And add at least 2-3 2nd round pick or more.

4. search @elkranio + add pictures
5. wait and hope the best
The Blues could do all those things and they still probably wouldn't challenge for a bottom 10 finish in the league.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We missed the playoffs by one point even with Jake playing sub par and Schwartz missing a large chunk. Im not sure how playing Thomas and Kyrou will be a downgrade from last years team. Thompson will be another year advanced and so will Dunn, Parayko and Edmundson. I dont see how this team will be worse than last years and thats even without any moves. And big Kostin will be knocking on the door by mideason ready to kick some ass. That boy is a beast.

And Fabbri could be a wild card.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Oh God...is this because we didn't land Tavares? Panarin? Some other overpriced elite player?

Did Tavares make it to the SCF this year? Did Panarin?

What is with the panic and dispair in these forms? Get a grip.

Go outside and enjoy the day ... and ask "John Tavares who?"

I took the family to Chicago/FermiLab today.

:dunno:

Reactions: ChuckLefley

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Health will be the biggest factor next year. Healthy team = playoff team. If the cloud of injuries hangs over us again, we’ll be mediocre again. We have really really really good depth right now... that still needs some time to “get there.” We need our vets to hold the fort until reinforcements arrive.

FWIW, the “villagers marching on Frankenstein’s castle” vibe I’m seeing mostly on twitter really perturbs me

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'd just like to see some of the kids get decent ice time so we can evaluate where we go from here. If we keep trotting out Berglund and Sobotka, et. al. , we just will keep getting what we got.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'd just like to see some of the kids get decent ice time so we can evaluate where we go from here. If we keep trotting out Berglund and Sobotka, et. al. , we just will keep getting what we got.

Id love to move Berglund and Sobotka just so this can happen.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This team has way too much talent to be in full tank mode. Unless we get a run of injuries to our top players

Reactions: Xanadude

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The Blues could do all those things and they still probably wouldn't challenge for a bottom 10 finish in the league.
It would secure we would get at least some return of those players before they walk. Its hard to know what 2019 draft holds, but all the rumours of what I've read it might be better draft then this year draft. Ofc this is bit shibboleth. I don't know was Berglund, Sobotka, Jbo or Gunnar at trade block this year draft. They might have and value wasn't there, so now should be time for trade them when 2019 year draft might not be that high? I'm meaning that those picks might not be that valueable now compare to couple days end 2018 draft same round picks.

Last edited:

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis

Up to this point, I don't think Berglund or Sobotka have been blocking any of our prospects from getting playing time. I agree, though, that they should start getting some looks this coming season. I was pretty surprised that both Berglund and Sobotka made it through the draft, honestly. I'm hoping the case is that a team like Buffalo may be interested in one of them as a replacement for ROR or a similar situation and Armstrong sees them being worth more in a situation like that than they would be had they been moved for a second round pick.

It seems like the Blues are going to give the kids every chance in training camp to prove they deserve the ice time. From the way the FO has been going on, I think we can just about write Thomas' name in pen for the opening roster. It'll be interesting to see who else may make the cut out of the gate.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Ranksu what the hell man, what is with this thread?:snide: All this team needs bare minimum is another adequate top 6 forward and a powerplay that can score once in awhile, that should be doable. The Blues are still one of the better teams out there and hopefully out of all the young talent we have at lest one of them should provide some kind of impact this year, and it could be any of 'em. That's not even counting on Fabbri which will be a huge bonus if he can play.

Although if we add absolutely no one in the off-season and have the same roster come October, I will revisit this thread and and take it more seriously.:laugh:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
We missed the playoffs by one point even with Jake playing sub par and Schwartz missing a large chunk. Im not sure how playing Thomas and Kyrou will be a downgrade from last years team. Thompson will be another year advanced and so will Dunn, Parayko and Edmundson. I dont see how this team will be worse than last years and thats even without any moves. And big Kostin will be knocking on the door by mideason ready to kick some ass. That boy is a beast.

And Fabbri could be a wild card.

Development is not linear. Almost every time someone says "X will be another year along" they are setting themselves up for disappointment because that doesn't mean anything. Dunn and Thompson could easily have setbacks and be not as effective. Dunn in particular is vulnerable to this as he makes his way up the lineup and more film is available for teams to try and attack him. Edmunson is also possible to be targeted for that. We can't just assume guys will play better, that's just not how these things work. If we don't beat the world down in the first 2 months of the season, we likely would have kept our draft pick this season. It's not hard to see that happening if we go into the season doing nothing.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
As much as I want Army to go out and grab one or two top 6 players, I'm also okay with him signing a stopgap FA or two and letting all of these youngsters battle it out while not being thrust into too big a role too soon. Bozak has been mentioned. I think James Neal would be a good signing.

Mar 6, 2012
I think I would prefer a team of motivated fun to watch youngsters in a rebuild than whatever frankenstein patchwork thing we have now that is never going to be a real contender or get great draft picks. Ugh.

Feeling pretty down as a Blues fan right now. Not a lot to be happy about. Bad year, bad offseason so far. They could pull it out, but I worry that they are either going to do nothing or something really stupid.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I’m sorry but if you are seriously claiming that ROR and skinner on top of adding fabbri and Thomas on top of what we already have,while then taking into account the development of eddy, Parayko and Dunn and ridding ourselves of berg and soby in the process which is addition by subtraction DOESNT make us a playoff contender, them you are blinder than a bat. Just for arguments sake:
Schwartz-Schenn-Senko
Skinner-ROR- Fabbri
Steen- Thomas- Thompson/Kyrou/Soshnik
Barbashev-Sundqvist/Brodz-Jaskin

Eddy-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
Bouw/Gunnar-Bortz

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I’m sorry but if you are seriously claiming that ROR and skinner on top of adding fabbri and Thomas on top of what we already have,while then taking into account the development of eddy, Parayko and Dunn and ridding ourselves of berg and soby in the process which is addition by subtraction DOESNT make us a playoff contender, them you are blinder than a bat. Just for arguments sake:
Schwartz-Schenn-Senko
Skinner-ROR- Fabbri
Steen- Thomas- Thompson/Kyrou/Soshnik
Barbashev-Sundqvist/Brodz-Jaskin

Eddy-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
Bouw/Gunnar-Bortz

Just from a point perspective:

Schwartz-Schenn-Senko: Same Points as last year if they can capture the magic at the beginning of the season.

Skinner-ROR- Fabbri: ,Skinner = Steen, Stastny = ROR, +10 points for Fabbri over Sobi

Steen- Thomas- Thompson/Kyrou/Soshnik: first if your trading for Skinner and ROR your losing Tage and Kyro and hopefully not Thomas. So +25 points Steen over Berglund, +15 points Thomas over Barbshev if Thomas manages 30 points. Soshnik = Jaskin

Barbashev-Sundqvist/Brodz-Jaskin: Wash if Brodz comes back and barbshev can manage upshalls numbers.

I know points alone is a crude comparison considering minutes would change for Steen and others; but your adding 50 points to the roster for trading away idk how much of our future. Is that enough to make the playoffs sure. Does that makes us a contender? I don’t think so.

I don’t want us to Tank guaranteed to lose Pie that way. Baring a DA Hail Mary this offseason here to hoping the youth movement works

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad