Post-Game Talk (GBU): Tank is getting depressing

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It really hurts that this is Miller's end. For all his faults I always felt much more true to the idea of rooting for him for Buffalo than I did with Hasek. Just happy to watch a world class talent like him.
Also, as for Hodgson, I agree with prior sentiments that he is being underutilized with our current lines. Its wrong to blame Nolan though. The man is working with scraps.

Trobes

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo
All I could think about last night was how I cant wait till we have elite players. The Penguins picked three great players in a row and I wont go into everything that we all know already. The fact is you need elite players and generally you have to be bad to get them. In the next two years we will get 2-3 elite players (thanks to the NYI pick) and be well on our way. We wont be like Edmonton because we actually have amazing depth at D just waiting in the wings. It sucks now watching Crosby last night, but it will be worth it in the end.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Bad
Roenick and Milbury
Milbury is Milbury. The problem (there are more than one, but I'm running late) with Roenick is, he's clearly and grossly uninformed when it comes to all but the top 10 or so teams. Maybe even that's too generous. He makes comments based on perceived sentiment around the league, not based on any actual, direct knowledge. His comments on Myers last night demonstrated that perfectly, but I've heard the same thing from him in other contexts, with other teams. Understandable considering the Sabres sit in 30th place? No, not for a supposed professional.
Frustrating-I hate how well MAF plays against us.
He's a pretty darn good goaltender. Well, these days only up until April, but still...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Very much true, but I will forever remember this as the game where Fleury stole a highlight reel play from Flynn+Zemgus and robbed us all of the best goal John Scott would have ever scored.

To be fair, it wouldn't be hard for any goal to be the best Scott has ever scored. Not a lot of competition. :laugh:

But man, I wish Zemgus had been able to cash in on that beauty chance.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
All I could think about last night was how I cant wait till we have elite players. The Penguins picked three great players in a row and I wont go into everything that we all know already. The fact is you need elite players and generally you have to be bad to get them. In the next two years we will get 2-3 elite players (thanks to the NYI pick) and be well on our way. We wont be like Edmonton because we actually have amazing depth at D just waiting in the wings. It sucks now watching Crosby last night, but it will be worth it in the end.

Literally the first thing that popped into my head after Crosby's goal was McDavid.

Please God...

KennyFnPowers*

So many Canadian 'Penguins' (Crosby jerseys) fans @ game last night.. Depressing. Left after 2nd

Karate Johnson*

Milbury is Milbury. The problem (there are more than one, but I'm running late) with Roenick is, he's clearly and grossly uninformed when it comes to all but the top 10 or so teams. Maybe even that's too generous. He makes comments based on perceived sentiment around the league, not based on any actual, direct knowledge. His comments on Myers last night demonstrated that perfectly, but I've heard the same thing from him in other contexts, with other teams. Understandable considering the Sabres sit in 30th place? No, not for a supposed professional.

Those comments by Roenick are exactly what I was thinking about.

He just doesn't know about the Sabres yet he insists on making statements like he did.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
well... made it to each Pens/Sabres game live this year. Fool me once, shame on you... Fool me twice, shame on me... Fool me 3 times, um, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment? 2 GF and 12 GA in those 3 games.. ugh. I need to make it to another game that has a chance to not be quite so depressing. Maybe that Islanders game last game of the season?

Just realized checking the schedule - only 10 more home games for the sabres the rest of the way, and 3 of them are the first 3 games after the Olympic break. Only 7 out of 22 games in March and April are in Buffalo. Is there anyone out there still worried about not finishing dead last by the end of the season?

Hey on the plus side I did find a team USA white jersey blank in my size in the Sabres store after the game. Just need to find some place around Cleveland that can put Miller's name and number on it. :)

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I fell asleep around the time when sabres lost the lead and the pens just seemed to be toying with us for a little bit. Then i woke up and saw the final score. It's pretty sad to see after the team seemed to come out with a fire under their ass.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is a truism. So depressing, disheartening really, watching Hodgson's tape passes thrown away again and again, seeing him get the puck back to a winger and then open himself in front for a play only for the winger to chase a useless hit rather than actually return the puck....

I wholly get the school of thought Nolan expressed back when divvying up the players to try and generate "two scoring lines", but that was when Moulson was an option and it makes zero sense to continue watching both Hodgson and Girgs, each of whom could actually produce some offense, trying to carry 3rd line grinders - who grind only enough to destroy play making in the offensive zone and not enough to be useful defensively either. Sucks.

There isn't much that can be done about it right now. We just don't have enough talent on the wings particularly with Girgs back at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad