Tanev Excels as a Unique Player in Today’s Game

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
https://6goaliedefense.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/tanev-excels-as-a-unique-player-in-todays-game/

So I'm a writer hoping to make the big leagues some day, and I run this project right now. I mostly cover the Rangers but I've recently expanded into more general NHL stuff.

I've had such a nice time as a guest in your GDT's I thought this would be a great place to debut that stuff.

This is a little piece on my favorite Canuck, Chris Tanev, and how he blends the brand of defense advanced stats people like with old school flavor.

I hope you like it and hopefully there will be more.

Go Canucks Go! :towel:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
usually hf partner articles are garbage but this completely bucks the trend. I like it a lot + agree with basically everything you say

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's nice seeing Tanev get recognition from outside of Vancouver. Without Tanev this team would be a lot worse imo. He's the most important Dman on this team.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Nice article and I completely agree with the reasoning behind it all. Good to see Tanman getting some love.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tanev is a rock in his own zone and along with Edler forms one of the most underrated shutdown pairings in the entire league....but dammit the guy gets so many scoring chances, but his shot lets him down....if he had a decent one-timer and a heavier point shot, he'd be a 40-50 point guy and we'd be talking about one of the top d-men in the entire league...maybe he needs to invest in and old clothes drier in his basement and practice hitting it like Sid.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
https://6goaliedefense.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/tanev-excels-as-a-unique-player-in-todays-game/

So I'm a writer hoping to make the big leagues some day, and I run this project right now. I mostly cover the Rangers but I've recently expanded into more general NHL stuff.

I've had such a nice time as a guest in your GDT's I thought this would be a great place to debut that stuff.

This is a little piece on my favorite Canuck, Chris Tanev, and how he blends the brand of defense advanced stats people like with old school flavor.

I hope you like it and hopefully there will be more.

Go Canucks Go! :towel:

you are always welcome in our GDT's friend

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Amazing :D

I still get a chuckle over the several people on this forum that told me he's not that great because he's a "low-event" player when I was saying that he was already our best/most important D-man two years ago (day 1 of the Torts season).

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
It can be tough to explain to people who don't watch the Canucks exactly why Tanev is our best defenceman and possibly MVP. This sums it up pretty well. Nice work.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Great article, Machinehead.

You write very well, and you articulate advanced stats in such a way that makes them more relatable to everyone. Keep chasing your dream!!!

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Nice to see Tanev getting some love from someone outside of Vancouver. He's so underrated. This guy makes everyone he plays with look so much better and is a beast defensively.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I forget who was the scout principally responsible for finding this player?

Why can't we have more amateur scouts like this person?:cry:

Seriously, who needs great scouts when we have....

images

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I forget who was the scout principally responsible for finding this player?

Why can't we have more amateur scouts like this person?:cry:

Seriously, who needs great scouts when we have....

images

It was through Dave Gagner's connection that he signed here I believe, though he wasn't a scout.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Calling Tanev a DFD is disrespectful. Just like how EA gives him a 83 overall rate. Which is lower than Jake Gardiner.( btw, they make almost the same exact money)

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Tanev has clearly been the best guy on the blueline this season. His skating and puck-moving ability are both superb and those skills have become the most important things for defencemen in the league today.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
No question, he's our best player. No one else is better at their job, no one else is more difficult to replace, nobody else leaves a bigger hole to fill if and when outta the lineup. Bonafide stud.

This teams defense goes to the trash without him, and the offense struggles far more than you would expect in the absence of a player with his point totals. A true 3rd assist transitional game Dman. Gets the puck outta harms way, and to where it needs to be for the rest of the team to score. Expect him to make some more improvements pushing play over time, but even as is, his status on the team shouldnt be up for debate. The only Canuck without a bad year on his resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad