Tampa's Draft 2013

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Guys you want Tampa to draft, why and so on ;)

I will start:

I love Mirko Müller, but it's questionable if we will be in position to draft him, most likely late first round and I doubt he will be available when we pick in the second.

I really hope we take a flyer on Slepyshev in the later rounds, if he is avaiable, just like we did with Gusev.

My obvious homer vote for Dominik Kahun, could be available for cheap, as he is stone cold since the WJC, but should explode like Rieder did after his draft year, but he is undersized.

And I really like Dillon Heatherington and Steve Santini, one of those would be nice, if we can't get Müller.

In the first round I would love Zadorov, Nurse, maybe the falling foward as I expect us to pick between 13-20. So there should be one guy surprisingly faling out of the top ten and I really hope we pick this guy.

Last edited:

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon for me :). No reasons needed, the names speak for themselves!

I don't have much faith in mid to late 1st round picks as most are generally projects (I hope we'll be picking there after we make the playoffs :) ), but a big center like Frederik Gauthier of Rimouski would be a nice addition. We don't have much center depth in our prospect pool and definitely none that are 6'5, 210 lbs.

He's very good defensively (also always first man back on forecheck), strong on the puck, has a good shot and skates very well for his size (albeit a little uncoordinated). Could be the ideal 3rd line center we're lacking and he has a ton of untapped potential offensively. I would not be surprised if he eventually took over the 2nd center spot down the line as Vinny ages.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
I've seen Darnell Nurse projected to go low in the first and I like him a lot. That's I guy I'd be happy to target.

Of course, I hardly know anything about the draft prospects at this point either.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I really like Tie Domi anywhere below 15. Zadorov is also a beast, he'll likely go between 8-15.

One of those guys would be nice.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Really want us to pick up Spencer Martin. Also any one of Horvat/Lazar/Monahan for forwards would be nice too. For D I wouldn't mind Zadorov, Morin, or Pulock.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Really want us to pick up Spencer Martin. Also any one of Horvat/Lazar/Monahan for forwards would be nice too. For D I wouldn't mind Zadorov, Morin, or Pulock.

Those two are likely out of our reach, as they're projected to go top 8. Monahan is supposed to be the next Couturier, so I would not mind grabbing him at all but I'm confident that he'll be long gone before we pick.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I've seen Darnell Nurse projected to go low in the first and I like him a lot. That's I guy I'd be happy to target.

Of course, I hardly know anything about the draft prospects at this point either.

I think his draft stock has risen and I believe he's projected top 15 now.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Those two are likely out of our reach, as they're projected to go top 8. Monahan is supposed to be the next Couturier, so I would not mind grabbing him at all but I'm confident that he'll be long gone before we pick.

Anything can happen ;). But Monahan's overall game is a lot more like Toews than Couturier. Only reason he's fallen on people's rankings is due to others playing really well, he's still be terrific with a below average Ottawa team.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Darnell Nurse is my favorite, doubt he'll be around when it's our turn though.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Anything can happen ;). But Monahan's overall game is a lot more like Toews than Couturier. Only reason he's fallen on people's rankings is due to others playing really well, he's still be terrific with a below average Ottawa team.

I don't think there's a large separation between Monahan and Toews, but I feel Monahan's skating is not at the elite level Toews was at, and his hands aren't as good either. However, he definitely has the complete game, faceoff acumen, playmaking, intangibles and ability to make his linemates better that we've seen from Toews. He's probably got more offensive potential than Couturier though, and maybe not quite as astute as Couturier is defensively.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I really like Tie Domi anywhere below 15. Zadorov is also a beast, he'll likely go between 8-15.

One of those guys would be nice.

You mean Max Domi? I mean, I'd take Tie as we lack toughness, but I'm not sure he'd be able to hack it at 43. However, having Kelly Carlson at games alone would be worth it :nod:.

I would definitely take Max Domi at 15 if he's still around. He's a favourite of Dale Hunter's in London and we all know he demands effort in all three zones. Domi works harder than most kids, always plays with heart and has great playmaking and stick handling ability. He could stand to improve his skating stride and acceleration though.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Robert Hagg please. That kid is going to be a stud, although it would give us a glut of offensive defenseman. I think he plays well on both sides of the puck though.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
You mean Max Domi? I mean, I'd take Tie as we lack toughness, but I'm not sure he'd be able to hack it at 43. However, having Kelly Carlson at games alone would be worth it :nod:.

I would definitely take Max Domi at 15 if he's still around. He's a favourite of Dale Hunter's in London and we all know he demands effort in all three zones. Domi works harder than most kids, always plays with heart and has great playmaking and stick handling ability. He could stand to improve his skating stride and acceleration though.

Yeah, Max lol. If we could get Tie out of retirement though...

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
A lot of the prospects mentioned in this thread are likely out of our reach imho (though players always rise and drop on draft day). I full expect our team to make the playoffs in the 3rd spot, since one team from the SE is guaranteed to make it. So first, let's establish where we'll likely be drafting.

For me, I believe we'll make the playoffs and unfortunately be knocked out in the first round by a tough, Atlantic division team. So with that said, we'd likely be selecting 15-17 since in terms of points, we likely will not be much better than the teams in 8th that made the playoffs.

Prospects currently in that range that appeal to me are: Max Domi, Anthony Mantha, Frederik Gauthier, Hunter Shinkaruk, Adam Erne, Ryan Pulock and Bo Horvat.

I think prospects like Darnell Nurse, Valeri Nichushkin, Sean Monahan, Robert Hagg, etc. are all out of reach right now.

Last edited:

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Curtis Lazar recently mentioned he has red-green color blindness. I think that could hinder his passing ability when making quick decisions, so I'd rather we pass on him.

There will be a lot of great players available in our 20-25 range: Gauthier, Horvat, Wennberg, Wallmark, McCoshen, Hurley, Hagg, Zykov, Mueller. Maybe Nichushkin will drop because of his KHL contract. 2nd round will also get us a great prospect this year: Compher, Hill, Dauphin, Poirier, Bowey, Heatherington, Dano, Bigras,....so many to choose from this year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Mantha! We need LW's, size, and scoring and he brings all three. We can't go wrong with the best D available as that's still a lack of depth in the system.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Curtis Lazar recently mentioned he has red-green color blindness. I think that could hinder his passing ability when making quick decisions, so I'd rather we pass on him.

It depends how bad it is.

I have it too but remembered it just when it came up with Lazar. Hasn't hurt me at all thought I'm not prof. hockey player.

But anyway, if it's not bad he should be able to see the diff. between red and green in uniforms. Easy.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hagg...can't go wrong with a Swedish defenseman
Gauthier...can't go wrong with a Center from Rimouski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad