Tampa Bay vs. Toronto from a Columbus Fans Perspective

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Hello

Delayed Congrats on your win over the Leafs

I understand you guys are in the middle of a hard fought series with Tampa, but was curious what your guys thoughts are to my question.

I was curious as to your opinion on what the biggest difference between playing Tampa and Toronto is? Everyone in Toronto has a billion different reasons as to whats wrong with the team, but I think you guys would know best. For the record I predicted Columbus would win in 5 games in the main boards.

Is it lack of intensity? Poor Systems Defense? Lack of a # 1 defenseman. Poor Goaltending? Zero Depth? All of the above? What does Tampa do better or period that Toronto does not. Are their superstars just that much better than Toronto's?

Final Note I am a Buckeyes Fan and have been down to the Horseshoe for a few games. Kinda bummed out the Big Ten has cancelled football this fall.

Hang on Sloopy, Sloopy hang on

Our honor defend
So we’ll fight to the end for O-hi-o.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Can it be all of the things you suggested (intensity, system, etc) in small degrees? Don't overlook experience too. Despite our win last season, Tampa has a better winning pedigree than Columbus or Toronto.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Leafs did some things pretty well.

Auston Matthews was a lot better than Kucherov is. He took work to shut down. The depth lines were fine. When Engvall came in, that unit with Clifford and Spezza became a problem to deal with every shift. Freddy Andersen made a lot of very good saves, he was put in a lot of tire-fire situations and did relatively well.

The difference on the backend can't be overstated. The Leafs D are just turnover machines below the hashmarks. The lightest breeze of a forecheck and the Jackets would get the puck back. Tampa is a tough team to forecheck, they know how to evade pressure and they are so damn clean on the breakout with a center swinging low to provide support. The Leafs forwards just think offense from the second the team gets the puck, they don't focus on getting out of their zone carefully.

A big problem playing Tampa is dealing with Yanni Gourde driving the net. He's always getting in Korpi's face. His line with Coleman and Goodrow has been a handful every game. There's no line you can take a breath against versus the Lightning. There isn't a Maple Leafs equivalent to that. The Leafs top forwards don't go to the hard areas enough. They'll have the puck with speed coming wide and don't seem to ever try and charge across the netmouth, they prefer to loop around the perimeter and look for a passing play. It's more of a problem for the Jackets when the other team goes hard into the crease area, it causes breakdowns in coverage. Look at Nylander's goal in game 4 as a positive example. There's no issue defending fancy passing plays on the outside. On some level, the Leafs strengths just don't work as well vs the Jackets, but in general I think these things have to change for them to be a strong playoff team.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Thanks for the responses. I am kinda seeing a pattern that is pretty evident to evaluate. A weak defense that isn't assisted by a forward group that plays perimeter hockey and thus creating an overall weak defense. The lack of intensity and drive to the net is pretty evident and is why I think Toronto needs to replace some of their skilled guys with grit.

I appreciate you guys and am not shocked by the class your fan base displayed during the series.

I think you guys being mostly Ohio State fans know what its like to have the Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, SEC trolls come into every Ohio State conversation and derail any conversation. I appreciate that some of you were the first ones to call out the Leafs trolls in that thread.

For the life of me I hope Columbus is able to attract some quality players in the near future because the city is a very nice modern one and isn't typical to many other cities in the Great Lakes States region.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Also Tampa learned from last year and dont't panic this year. Stick to their gameplan more and look more comfortable in tight games. They really stepped up the mental side of the game to match the talent level and Toronto isnt there yet

Reactions: majormajor

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Tampa made a big adjustment after Game 2 and started to play our game against us. Toronto does not have the defensive talent (and forwards with a strong 200 foot game) to do that.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Okay....I’ll play. And these answers are ranked by most problematic to least.

First, you can call it depth or you can call it balance or you can call it scheme. If somebody defensively can cool down 4 guys (or $40m) Toronto doesn’t have a lot left, offensively or defensively.

Next, losing Muzzin hurt, but the Leaf blue line just doesn’t have a shut down pair or that great outlet pass to start the break. Tampa’s blue line is 2x or 3x what Toronto offers.

Third, the players can say they are sick of losing, but until somebody straps that team on their back and says “no more”, it will continue. Some call it will over skill. Maybe that fits. It is leadership. It could be the goaltender, it could be Tavares as captain or it could be Matthews, or it could be Muzzin or a 3rd liner. But somebody has to say it and live it and never, ever give up.

The entire team needs more patience. Tampa has been much more patience this year with Columbus scheme. They knew what to expect based upon last year’s embarrassing result. Toronto tried to bring regular season effort to playing the same team between 3-5 times. This is coaching. Sheldon Keefe will probably be fine, but he got out coached in the Columbus series.

Last, I thought Toronto’s goaltending left a little to be desired. Tampa has a stud. McEhielny is his back up. You guys know him. Today you have to have good goal tending in the SC playoffs. Name me a Cup winner or even finalist that had average goal tending.

Great question. Best of luck in the future.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Add in Tampa changed their game to match.

They always had D back, usually both.
They put pucks to the net with traffic in the lanes rather than opting for open looks or pretty passes.
They cycled in the corners and battled along the boards. They played down low more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad