Tampa Bay Sports Commission and Lightning planning to apply to host 2018 WJC

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith · 11m 11 minutes ago
The Tampa Bay Sports Commission + #TBLightning plan to apply to host 2018 WJC, will know for sure next month upon seeing req for proposal

Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith · 8m 8 minutes ago
#TBLightning owner Jeff Vinik has made it known he'd love to host a major NHL event (All Star Game, etc). WJC would be quite a get

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith · 11m 11 minutes ago
The Tampa Bay Sports Commission + #TBLightning plan to apply to host 2018 WJC, will know for sure next month upon seeing req for proposal

Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith · 8m 8 minutes ago
#TBLightning owner Jeff Vinik has made it known he'd love to host a major NHL event (All Star Game, etc). WJC would be quite a get

a WJC needs a second site besides the Amalie Arena. Wondering where that would be.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
that's my thinking.

question though, is TB-Miami/Sunrise a stronger ticket than TB-Orlando?

That's a good question. Both certainly have their appeal. If the high speed rail between Tampa and Orlando were to be built between now and 2018, that would settle the debate.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I think Tampa makes a very strong case to host this event. We would have the right weather for it at least to bring people to the city haha.

Hosting an event like the Womens Final Four this year is a good place to see how ready the city would be for an event like this. Thats a lot of people coming to town.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I think Tampa makes a very strong case to host this event. We would have the right weather for it at least to bring people to the city haha.

Hosting an event like the Womens Final Four this year is a good place to see how ready the city would be for an event like this. Thats a lot of people coming to town.

They've hosted a Womens Final Four before.

The arena, also home to the Arena Football League’s Tampa Bay Storm, has hosted numerous high-profile events including the 1999 NHL All-Star Game, the 2007 ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament, the 2008 NCAA Women’s Final Four, the 2009 SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament, a rally for then-presidential candidate Barack Obama, the 2012 NCAA Men's Frozen Four and more. The Tampa Bay Times Forum is scheduled to host the 2012 Republican National Convention in August.

We're also hosting the 2016 Frozen Four and the 2019 Women's Final Four.

And the college football national title game will be at Raymond James Stadium in 2017.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They've hosted a Womens Final Four before.

We're also hosting the 2016 Frozen Four and the 2019 Women's Final Four.

And the college football national title game will be at Raymond James Stadium in 2017.

Wait what? Is the National title game confirmed? The Outback bowl isn't even one of the top New Years bowls, how'd they get that game? The Citrus bowl is higher up the pecking order for Bowls.

I can't see why the WJC can't work, they just need to get that second big rink (Orlando/Miami). The area has great hotels, the public transportation isn't that good but I'm sure people would drive around and check the theme parks and make a bigger trip out of it. Not sure what the capacity is in Estero but that could work or Lakeland, the civic center holds probably 10k, played at both and they aren't bad while being fairly close.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Wait what? Is the National title game confirmed? The Outback bowl isn't even one of the top New Years bowls, how'd they get that game? The Citrus bowl is higher up the pecking order for Bowls.

I can't see why the WJC can't work, they just need to get that second big rink (Orlando/Miami). The area has great hotels, the public transportation isn't that good but I'm sure people would drive around and check the theme parks and make a bigger trip out of it. Not sure what the capacity is in Estero but that could work or Lakeland, the civic center holds probably 10k, played at both and they aren't bad while being fairly close.

It's confirmed

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/coll...ollege-football-national-championship/2157272

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Why do they need a second huge arena? Only Canada and USA games will have big attendance most likely. Gotta think Estero will be enough for the rest.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Is there a requirement on the size though? Obviously a second rink is needed for the number of games played. The WJCs have been played in some pretty small arenas, like 5000 seats.. I don't think Orlando is necessary.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Is there a requirement on the size though? Obviously a second rink is needed for the number of games played. The WJCs have been played in some pretty small arenas, like 5000 seats.. I don't think Orlando is necessary.

Estero would be viable. When the event was held in Sweden for the 2014 edition one of the two arenas had a capacity of 5800. I can see them wanting a bigger stadium but Estero would be adequate should the Amway arena be too far out of their price range. I can also see them putting the second venue down in Sunrise.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

but I live closer to Orlando than Tampa.

real talk though, Orlando or Miami as the second site makes for a stronger bid ticket and the benefit of the additional exposure of the game in those markets is going to help long-term.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Why do they need a second huge arena? Only Canada and USA games will have big attendance most likely. Gotta think Estero will be enough for the rest.

Because you are going against Buffalo which has three rinks in two connected buildings as well as two more rinks at university less than half an hour away. Mind you all the secondary rinks are more in the 5k range (like Estero). Same with Detroit. Both of those cities have the advantage of being a border town and Canadians will fill those cities even for 2nd tier games. What Tampa does have is the idea of a nice climate in the winter so you can combine the "get out of the winter" vacation and WJC trip into one. *That* may have some pull.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Because you are going against Buffalo which has three rinks in two connected buildings as well as two more rinks at university less than half an hour away. Mind you all the secondary rinks are more in the 5k range (like Estero). Same with Detroit. Both of those cities have the advantage of being a border town and Canadians will fill those cities even for 2nd tier games. What Tampa does have is the idea of a nice climate in the winter so you can combine the "get out of the winter" vacation and WJC trip into one. *That* may have some pull.

They packed the house when the hosted the Frozen Four so it's been proven that if you put hockey there they will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad