Tampa Bay Rays Exploring Splitting Season Between Tampa and Montreal

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Agreed. I can't imagine the players association will go for it. I do see it as a possibility that the team just relocated to Montreal, or this prompts the rays to get a better stadium deal and the long-expected expansion, with that ownership group actually becoming the owners of the revived Expos.

I just hope the revived version plays their first game on the road against the Mets, as the originals did. And because they also played their last game (before moving to Washington) in the same place, on the road against the Mets. Still have the program from that game.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Agreed. I can't imagine the players association will go for it. I do see it as a possibility that the team just relocated to Montreal, or this prompts the rays to get a better stadium deal and the long-expected expansion, with that ownership group actually becoming the owners of the revived Expos.

I just hope the revived version plays their first game on the road against the Mets, as the originals did. And because they also played their last game (before moving to Washington) in the same place, on the road against the Mets. Still have the program from that game.

One major headache for the players that has been overlooked is taxes - Florida has no income tax, Quebec has the highest tax rate in Canada AND the US.

Reactions: oknazevad

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
One major headache for the players that has been overlooked is taxes - Florida has no income tax, Quebec has the highest tax rate in Canada AND the US.

Forbes wrote an article on how an American citizen (Tavares as an example) can save on taxes while playing in Canada.

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

I recall when Pacioretty was traded & signed by Vegas one of the first news we heard was his Flordia house went for sale.

One of the few advantages of a TB/Montreal split would be both locations could have no roof parks (cheaper). Early Spring and late Summer games would be played in TB while middle would be Montreal. TB avoids Summer heat while MTL avoids cold/snow risks. For the rare playoff series would likely alternate. Montreal would probably host these at the Big O anyway due to increased capacity.

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It will be a hard sell in Montreal, don't think fans will go for this. This means no new stadium and back to the Olympic, indefinitely, which is a big reason the Expos failed. Crap stadium, crap location, probably overpriced everything. Don't be surprised when support drops off by year 2.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It will be a hard sell in Montreal, don't think fans will go for this. This means no new stadium and back to the Olympic, indefinitely, which is a big reason the Expos failed. Crap stadium, crap location, probably overpriced everything. Don't be surprised when support drops off by year 2.

MLB will not allow a team to play on a regular base at the Big O. Montreal group already stated intentions to build a new stadium as part of a mega RE development. Official plans are yet to be revealed.

I'm sure MLB owners would want some sort of "half-relocation" fee for the dual city idea.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
More shots fired

https://stpetecatalyst.com/rays-president-names-a-date-for-a-decision-on-2028-play/

Rays president names a date for a decision on 2028 play
Published 19 hours ago on February 20, 2020
By Margie Manning

The Tampa Bay Rays have less than two years to determine where they are going to be playing baseball by opening day 2028.

Speaking at the Suncoast Tiger Bay Club on Thursday, Rays president Brian Auld suggested January 2022 would be the latest the Major League Baseball team could wait to figure out what it will do if its Sister City concept — a proposal to split games between the Tampa Bay area and Montreal — doesn’t work out.

The Rays’ use agreement for Tropicana Field runs out at the end of the 2027 season, and the timeline to make a decision is ticking down quickly, Auld said.

“It is unclear at best and likely that we will not be welcome at Tropicana Field on opening day 2028 so we need to know where we are going to play. We’ve been at this for well over a decade already, so I don’t take lightly how long it could take. We are working on that in earnest right now. If we aren’t able to be successful with this concept, we’re going to have to figure something out I would argue no later than the beginning of 2022 in order to make an appropriate effort at finding that new home relative to 2028,” Auld said. “It’s 2020 and January 2022 is not very far away. We’ve got to get at this. We’ve got to figure it out.

Last edited:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
One step closer. All that's needed now is a shovel-in-the-ground refurb or new facility initiative in Montreal and they're as good as gone.

Sternberg also advocates for a dual city split beyond 2028. While Montreal group is coming with a plan for a new park, Sternberg always wanted TB to subsidize part of a new venue. Will the city still be willing to contribute for half of a team?

On a somehow related note Mets are for sale and Sternberg is a huge fan of them. Still maintains season tickets and was linked in the past to a possible sale. For now ARod with friends are rumored to be in the run for ownership. Pure speculation but given uncertainty around Rays future wonder if he will get more interested. Of course price tag for the Mets will be quite higher than what he can get from a potential Rays sale.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
IF Tampa relocates to Montreal, would they keep Montreal in the AL East? Or would they do a swap with one of the teams in the NL East moving to the AL? I kinda want Toronto and Montreal playing 19 times a year.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
IF Tampa relocates to Montreal, would they keep Montreal in the AL East? Or would they do a swap with one of the teams in the NL East moving to the AL? I kinda want Toronto and Montreal playing 19 times a year.

Playing vs Jays, Yanks and Red Sox would definitely generate quite a lot of local interest and visitors. However when Bronfman (main promoter from Mtl side) was asked this question a while back, his answer was something like "we would like to make the playoffs once in a while". Rays made the playoffs last season and may repeat again which is quite remarkable given payroll. However even with increased revenues from the potential dual split will be hard to fill a competitive lineup against those big markets on a consistent base. MLB (or rather MLBPA) does not seem too eager to adopt a hard cap or other measures for more parity.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Playing vs Jays, Yanks and Red Sox would definitely generate quite a lot of local interest and visitors. However when Bronfman (main promoter from Mtl side) was asked this question a while back, his answer was something like "we would like to make the playoffs once in a while". Rays made the playoffs last season and may repeat again which is quite remarkable given payroll. However even with increased revenues from the potential dual split will be hard to fill a competitive lineup against those big markets on a consistent base. MLB (or rather MLBPA) does not seem too eager to adopt a hard cap or other measures for more parity.

If the dual city happens I can see them staying in the AL East as the Rays wouldn't fully relocate so there's nothing to change with the alignment.

If the expanded 14 team playoff field happens, I doubt Bronfman would have much to worry about. Granted if they do run the dual-city team and the 'pick your opponent' happens....the ExRays will almost certainly never be the one chosen :D

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Sternberg also advocates for a dual city split beyond 2028. While Montreal group is coming with a plan for a new park, Sternberg always wanted TB to subsidize part of a new venue. Will the city still be willing to contribute for half of a team?

On a somehow related note Mets are for sale and Sternberg is a huge fan of them. Still maintains season tickets and was linked in the past to a possible sale. For now ARod with friends are rumored to be in the run for ownership. Pure speculation but given uncertainty around Rays future wonder if he will get more interested. Of course price tag for the Mets will be quite higher than what he can get from a potential Rays sale.

There is zero appetite from Kriseman to entertain a split market plan. Which is no doubt why you are now seeing overtures from the Rays to Mayor Castor in Tampa. I live just north of St Pete and and when talking to Rays fans a majority think its a completely asinine idea, to where some are hoping Stu just sells then buys the Mets and gets the hell outta here. Bring in a new owner to broker a stadium deal in St Pete (still more likely Tampa). And there's a few that feel like me that everything is being done to pull this team from the market and relocate it.

That overture to Tampa was an answer is needed by the end of this year. St Pete now has a two year window. It's acknowledged a CIT like what was done for Raymond James Stadium is a no-go. Funding options only surround this split plan

Specific numbers weren’t discussed, but the two sides agreed that funding mechanisms like community development districts, tax-increment financing and federal opportunity zone investment were “all viable options," Castor said.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Almost guaranteed MLB will open more playoff positions in next few years. Too many fanbases become disengaged when their team is hopelessly out of playoff contention by July and facing the prospect of a multi year build up to get there. It's bad for business.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Bumping this one

Report: Rays owner says split-season plan with Montreal 'the only option'

Mr. Sternberg still focusing on the split city plan 'only option' 2028 onwards.

Not sure where the file is at on the Tampa end...for Montreal, he says he's pleased with the progress.

I take it the progress is the unveiling of the site plans....sans ballpark.....for now

No baseball stadium plans for Peel Basin for now, developer says

With the Rays still locked in the trop for another 7 years...seems like a long ways until anything comes to head

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Again, Kriseman is gone in 2021 due to term limits.

Perhaps the new mayor will allow Tampa Bay to, I dunno, exit the lease early? Perhaps the Rays should invest into politics?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Again, Kriseman is gone in 2021 due to term limits.

Perhaps the new mayor will allow Tampa Bay to, I dunno, exit the lease early? Perhaps the Rays should invest into politics?

My understanding is the lease in the final years is team-friendly and it might be in St Pete's best interest to work out a deal that would allow the Rays to help pay to redevelop the Trop site. If not St. Pete will face the expense of doing that alone.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad