Long Island
:bolts

Rick Nash (2M retained) (5.8M)
Kevin Klein (2.9M)

:rangers

Ryan Callahan (5.8M)
Braydon Coburn (3.7M)
Jonathan Drouin (894k)

I've been spending the past hour trying to make something work and man is it tough to work out cap hits and working out if it works for both teams beyond this year. Wasn't sure on the Rangers retaining, but with the OTT trade today, I believe it does.

TB gets the best player in the deal (although after reading their boards, a lot of TB fans believe Drouin will score 60-70 pts next year) in Nash. At 5.8M he could be a key contributor to a TB team that is on the cusp of winning a Cup where he is able to play in all situations.

They get Klein who is a top 4 D on a very nice contract for the next two years.

I know TB is in a cap crunch trying to get Kucherov, Namestnikov and I believe another player signed and they'd save 1.7M on this deal.

Rangers end up taking on some longer contracts with taking back Callahan and Coburn which may not make this possible cap wise for the future (didn't do that much work) but get back Drouin who has the potential to be the best player in the deal.

Also, I realize there are some NMC/NTC belonging to players which make it unrealistic, but I just wanted to throw it out there based off a pure value perspective as 99% of deals obviously do not come to fruition.

Again, first proposal so go easy :laugh::help:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Drouin alone fetches more than Klein and Nash

While Callahan and Coburns contracts arent favorable, it still doesnt wash out drouins value, who looked every bit as deadly as they hoped once he came back, and at times looked like the best player on the ice

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Getting rid of Callahan and Coburn isn't worth giving up Drouin. Besides, Coburn is a solid defenseman.

The proposal isn't that bad if you add another good piece from the Rangers to make up for Drouin's potential, but I think TB can find a different partner for Callahan for their cap crunch.

Replacing Drouin with Nash is a poison pill that TB would regret for a long time. I suppose if you see it as Callahan for Nash (straight salary swap), then it becomes Drouin and Coburn for Klein.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
I like how drouin is just kinda snuck in there.
He's almost a throw in by how it's structured, lol ..

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah TB could probably move Callahan without having to attach Drouin if they really needed to.

They'd probably have to retain though. And maybe add a pick for a sweetener. And the return would be not so glamourous.

Last edited:

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
If we're moving Nash I'm hoping its for a long term option on the right side of the D, I'm not implying that Drouin isn't a brilliant piece I just dont think he's the right piece for us right now.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I feel like a lot of teams would beat that offer should Drouin be available, which I don't believe he is

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Tampa gets the best player? You serious?

Rangers EASILY get the better player which is the goal here clearly. Not a chance Tampa does this.

If that was all it took to get Drouin, every other team would do this.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think a lot of people would have taken this in February, but not anymore. Kudos for the creativity, I think if you replaced Drouin with a lesser young player, it would work, but I don't think we have any of those that would make it worth it for NYR.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Bolts don't want Nash as we just signed Killorn who in my opinion is the same player for almost half the salary, and forget us trading Drouin.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I've been spending the past hour trying to make something work and man is it tough to work out cap hits and working out if it works for both teams beyond this year. Wasn't sure on the Rangers retaining, but with the OTT trade today, I believe it does.

I don't think this works for the Rangers beyond this year. Retain 2 mil on Nash for 2 years. Callahan has 4 years left on his contract and Coburn has 3 years. Both Drouin and Zibanejad are RFAs next year and will be getting significant raises.

As a Ranger fan I would do it otherwise, but it just doesn't work with the cap long term unless we can move out other salary. We could buy out Girardi next year, but the cap savings in 2017-18 isn't that much and I'd rather not have dead cap space for 6 years. If we could find a way to trade Staal without bringing back too much, then it would be possible.

I think something like Nash@50% + Klein for Garrison/Coburn + Drouin might work. Add picks or prospects as needed to balance it value-wise, though I'm sure Tampa fans will be asking for Buchnevich and/or Skjei.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not a chance. It gives the Lightning much needed cap relief but makes us a far worse team in the process. The only thing I want less than Rick Nash is to trade Jonathan Drouin.

The only part of that deal that seems realistic is Callahan going back to the NYR, because I am sure he would waive his NMC if asked. But we're a long way from that right now and he's probably one of the last pieces to move in the salary game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad