Prospect Info: Tampa Bay Lightning top-25 prospects 2014

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
DeAngelo's vision is probably better than Koekkoek. When I look at DeAngelo, he reminds me of PK Subban as an Offensive Dmen, but no matter how good he becomes in his defensive zone, he will always be considered an average defender in his own zone. Another year in the OHL, and more than likely 1-2 years in AHL will help him at least get to an average defender in his own zone.

Koekkoek on the other hand (if healthy), will be a defensive first Dmen who will chip in offensively eventually in his career. His skating is probably already top 5 on the Lightning roster. A healthy season in Syracuse will go a long way in his development.

I didn't like the DeAngelo pick as I thought we could land him at 28, mostly because I wanted Robby Fabbri, but the pick is growing on me and I trust Steve Yzerman and Al Murray. Also we got steals in Cameron Darcy and Brayden point IMHO.

I have no issues with and who we drafted or when besides one I think is about 25 to 30 teams going to kick selves in HEAD in a couple years on the russian barbashev. I mean the kid is going to be a beast imho. One of those players like brown callahan kopitar bergeron.

We really should have made sure we got him.

I like getting the machine and love the point pick and the others are ok but man am I already kicking self on the russian:(

I dont mind deangelo at 19 cause he was our guy. I just wish barbashev had been our number two guy cause he brings it all leadership all the intangibles arghhh gonna grumble on this for a long time I think haha

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
I have no issues with and who we drafted or when besides one I think is about 25 to 30 teams going to kick selves in HEAD in a couple years on the russian barbashev. I mean the kid is going to be a beast imho. One of those players like brown callahan kopitar bergeron.

We really should have made sure we got him.

I like getting the machine and love the point pick and the others are ok but man am I already kicking self on the russian:(

I dont mind deangelo at 19 cause he was our guy. I just wish barbashev had been our number two guy cause he brings it all leadership all the intangibles arghhh gonna grumble on this for a long time I think haha

One scout said Barbashev's ceiling is 3rd line C in which he would provide good defense, Grit, ect (to be honest he doesn't have the sizefor that). Also I've watched Barbashev for 2 years now (I live in Moncton) I don't completely agree with this scout, but I see where he's coming from. Barbashev gained a lot from Jaskin 1st year in the point department, and this year once Tkachev came over his point pretty much doubled. I hate to say this but anyone that plays with Jaskin or Tkachev can put up a lot of point. In other don't just look at his point production.

Our NEED was on D not really at C, but anything can happen If DeAngelo wouldn't have had all these suspension he would've been a top 10-15 IMHO. Which means SY and the almost 12 other guys that went on stage to make the pick got enough investigations, background check, interviews, ect. to know that he can get through whatever happened this year. I'm sure SY and AM would've thrilled to pick Barbashev instead of Masin. I still think DeAngelo > Barbashev is a no brainer considering where we are at as a team.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
DeAngelo's vision is probably better than Koekkoek. When I look at DeAngelo, he reminds me of PK Subban as an Offensive Dmen, but no matter how good he becomes in his defensive zone, he will always be considered an average defender in his own zone. Another year in the OHL, and more than likely 1-2 years in AHL will help him at least get to an average defender in his own zone.

Koekkoek on the other hand (if healthy), will be a defensive first Dmen who will chip in offensively eventually in his career. His skating is probably already top 5 on the Lightning roster. A healthy season in Syracuse will go a long way in his development.

I didn't like the DeAngelo pick as I thought we could land him at 28, mostly because I wanted Robby Fabbri, but the pick is growing on me and I trust Steve Yzerman and Al Murray. Also we got steals in Cameron Darcy and Brayden point IMHO.

The Sharks would have taken DeAngelo at 20 if we had not taken him at 19.

"Originally holding the No. 20 overall pick in the 2014 NHL Draft, the San Jose Sharks elected to trade back with the Chicago Blackhawks"

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/sharks-trade-back-blackhawks-2014-nhl-draft

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I agree on deangelo worth more. I figure he was 6th to 8th overall pick without any baggage or issues.

4 games in worlds barbashev has 4 goals 2 assists. I get he is playing with tacky but the kid has the game leadership and I think the intangibles you look for.

Is what it is we became overall a better team. I like our picks and we added more which allowed us to get some guys point machine etc.. others out of place etc..

Was a good draft maybe in time another great one lol.

Barbashev without the russian factor is 15-20 pick. So is what it is. He is type of player I like a lot.

The wilcox gudslevskis thing is I really think wilcox is going to become great even though is smaller goalie than guds. Is just a feeling.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
So how is Ikonen doing in the NA so far? Florida held prospect camp a couple of weeks ago, was it the same in TB/other NHL teams? I'd like to hear some feedback please

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
Last edited:

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
So how is Ikonen doing in the NA so far? Florida held prospect camp a couple of weeks ago, was it the same in TB/other NHL teams? I'd like to hear some feedback please

Henri Ikonen had a very good year in junior this year, 70pts in 54 games. He then suited up for Syracuse (AHL) for their last 6 games after his junior season was over. He had 2 assists in limited playing time.

He will more than likely begin his season in Syracuse this season. he'll get to play against bigger, faster guys. It's going to be interesting to see how he handles a full AHL season.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
That's interesting, I think they were hoping one of Sanhiem, Tuch, Vrana, or Fiala would slip to 20.

I think it's most likely true that they tried to snatch Deangelo, given that they knew Boyle was gone and they don't have any high-end puck movers in their system. They're mighty fine with their forward corps but they're seriously lacking of offensive dmen.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
As much as I like Tanner Richard's game, he is not ready for the NHL. He needs to firmly graps his nitch here in Syracuse at the AHL level and grow as a player from there. He may get a game or two over the course of the season, but his game will improve a lot more getting quality minutes here than fourth line or press box seats in Tampa. Let us see how his game improves/degrades with more responsibility before we add him to the Tampa roster.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"TSP: 2014 NHL Organizational Prospect Rankings Top 10"

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/07/tsp-2014-nhl-organizational-prospect-rankings-top-10

"2) Tampa Bay Lightning (A+)

The only team with two prospects in our top ten also features our number one prospect overall in superstud Jonathan Drouin. Andrey Vasilevski was our number two rated goaltender. Behind Vasilevsky, the goaltending is extremely deep with Latvian Olympic Hero Krister Gudlevskis and Jaroslav Janus also in the system.

On defense, Slater Koekkoek is a top prospect who has the tools, but needs to stay healthy. He is joined by four 2014 draft picks (including first rounder Anthony DeAngelo) as well as Dylan Blujus, and Nikita Nesterov to form a solid group.

Meanwhile, the forwards behind Drouin include Adam Erne, Vladislav Namestnikov, Henri Ikonen, Jonathan Marchessault, and newly drafted Brayden Point. While not a prospect for our rankings (and not included in this grade) due to NHL games played, Brett Connolly had a solid AHL season and continues to knock on the door for the NHL team. He’s still just 22-years-old, which is easy to forget. The Bolts also had two Calder contenders in Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat. Overall, the team’s prospect group is led by the two absolute studs and features excellent depth in all positions earning the Lightning an A+ ranking"

More kudos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad