5. Anthony DeAngelo (43.48%)
6. Brett Connolly (33.33%)
7. Andrej Sustr (40.48%)
8. Vladislav Namestnikov (67.57%)
9. Adam Erne (78.57%)
10. Kristers Gudlevskis (61.76%)
11. Dominik Masin (46.67%)
12. Cédric Paquette (64.86%)
13. Henri Ikonen (34.62% tied with Point, won the tiebreaker by getting 56.25% of the votes)
14. Brayden Point (46.34%)
15. Adam Wilcox (36.00%)
16. Matthew Peca (50.00%)
17. Dylan Blujus (25.00%)
18. Brian Hart (35.00%)
19. Tanner Richard (18.52% tied with MacLeod and Kunyk, won the tiebreaker by getting 42.31% of the votes)
20. Johnatan MacLeod (36.36%)
21. Nikita Nesterov (31.58%)
22. Jonathan Marchessault (33.33%)
23. Cody Kunyk (46.15%)
24. Ben Thomas (43.75%)
25. Luke Witkowski (30.77%)

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
How did Kunyk tie with Richard and MacLeod at 19 and then not win a poll until 23?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
1. Jonathan Drouin (90.91%)
2. Andrei Vasilevskiy (93.81%)
3. Nikita Kucherov (63.27%)
4. Slater Koekkoek (66.67%)
7. Andrej Sustr (40.48%)
9. Adam Erne (78.57%)
13. Henri Ikonen (34.62% tied with Point, won the tiebreaker by getting 56.25% of the votes)
15. Adam Wilcox (36.00%)
18. Brian Hart (35.00%)
19. Tanner Richard (18.52% tied with MacLeod and Kunyk, won the tiebreaker by getting 42.31% of the votes)
23. Cody Kunyk (46.15%)
24. Ben Thomas (43.75%)

1. drouin 2. vasi 3. clutch 4. deangelo 5. slater 6. vladdy 7. erne 8. sustr 9. connolly 10. wilcox 11. point 12. masin 13. gudlevskis 14. ikonen 15. paquette 16. peca. 17 richard 18 nesterov 19. dotchin 20. oddonell 21 kunyk 22 hart 23 blujus 24 thomas 25 marchessault would put macleod than witkowski after those picks like macloed need a longer look

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
By the way, looks like HF really liked Lightning's draft:

DeAngelo 8.0C
Masin 7.5C
Point 7.5C
MacLeod 6.5B
Darcy 7.0C
Thomas 7.0C
DiGiacinto 6.5C

Either they are starting to be much more generous with the grades or they just thought we had a great draft (I would say that most of those are a tad too high, personally).

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

DeAngelo 8.0C
Masin 7.5C
Point 7.5C
MacLeod 6.5B
Darcy 7.0C
Thomas 7.0C
DiGiacinto 6.5C

Either they are starting to be much more generous with the grades or they just thought we had a great draft (I would say that most of those are a tad too high, personally).

Not a bad ranking. Here's how I would personally rate them based on what I know.

DeAngelo 8.0C
Masin 7.0C
Point 7.0D
MacLeod 6.5B
Darcy 6.5C
Thomas 6.5C
DiGiacinto 5.5C

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Not a bad ranking. Here's how I would personally rate them based on what I know.

DeAngelo 8.0C
Masin 7.0C
Point 7.0D
MacLeod 6.5B
Darcy 6.5C
Thomas 6.5C
DiGiacinto 5.5C

Yeah, that's closer to where I'd rank them, too. I mean, just for comparison, there's no way that Masin should be 7.5C when Koekkoek is 7.0C (it should be vice versa) or that Point is as talented as Kucherov is.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yeah, that's closer to where I'd rank them, too. I mean, just for comparison, there's no way that Masin should be 7.5C when Koekkoek is 7.0C (it should be vice versa) or that Point is as talented as Kucherov is.

Agreed. Koekkoek is already really underrated when he was arguably the best defenseman in the OHL this year (yes, including Ekblad). I like Masin a lot and really hope he pans out, but Koekkoek is far more talented.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay

DeAngelo 8.0C
Masin 7.5C
Point 7.5C
MacLeod 6.5B
Darcy 7.0C
Thomas 7.0C
DiGiacinto 6.5C

Wow, those numbers do seem to be high, especially given how stringent they normally are. However, I guess they liked our draft as much as I did, because this helps show that we got some solid defensive talent at all rounds this year.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Wow, those numbers do seem to be high, especially given how stringent they normally are. However, I guess they liked our draft as much as I did, because this helps show that we got some solid defensive talent at all rounds this year.

They liked almost everyones draft. So crazy many 8.0s this draft year..

For comparison prior to the draft there were 26 propsects ranked with 8,0 or better. In this draft are 15 by now with Vrana and Fleury having no ranking yet.. This is just crazy. They are way to generous, especially considering most of them are even Cs and no Ds.

My rankings for our players would be:
DeAngelo 8.0 D
Masin 7.0 C
MacLeod 6.5 B
Point 7.5 D (but I am really high on him and had him in the late first/early second..)
Ben Thomas 6.5 C
DiGiacinto 5.5 B
Darcy 6.0 C

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed. Koekkoek is already really underrated when he was arguably the best defenseman in the OHL this year (yes, including Ekblad). I like Masin a lot and really hope he pans out, but Koekkoek is far more talented.

Koekkoek has had shoulder issues-maybe 7.5 or 8.0D for talent and injury proneness

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Koekkoek has had shoulder issues-maybe 7.5 or 8.0D for talent and injury proneness

I would be OK with an 8.0D. At least then they are acknowledging the potential and are just unsure on whether he'll realize it. 7.0C is just too low for a player that skilled.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, Koekkoek's talent level is definitely 8.0 - smooth-skating, smart two-way defenseman, that kind of players don't grow on trees. I would have given him a 7.5C but seeing how many players got 8.0C this year, well in that case Koekkoek deserves that just the same. He's a better prospect than DeAngelo IMO.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yeah, Koekkoek's talent level is definitely 8.0 - smooth-skating, smart two-way defenseman, that kind of players don't grow on trees. I would have given him a 7.5C but seeing how many players got 8.0C this year, well in that case Koekkoek deserves that just the same. He's a better prospect than DeAngelo IMO.

different not sure better is right word for deangelo to koekkoek.

I think deangelo is going to be a high scoring pmd force. A very special player in his own right and I think deangelo's path is easier one myself to hit his plateau so to speak:)

Koekkoek has a chance to be a player like vladimar konstantinov we are talking another whole level of special.

Not sure he reaches that but if he does wow. I know that is a lot to put out there for slater but he reminds me of vladdy a lot with the little i have watched.

I ranked deangelo higher right now myself because is hard to fathom koekkoek hitting that level. Even though I think he can? It is rare when it happens but slater has everything to be great super great elite even. Deangelo is gonna score he just has to be adequate on defense to be great lol. Is a lot easier path why have one over other myself. I hope both get there though:)

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
different not sure better is right word for deangelo to koekkoek.

I think deangelo is going to be a high scoring pmd force. A very special player in his own right and I think deangelo's path is easier one myself to hit his plateau so to speak:)

Koekkoek has a chance to be a player like vladimar konstantinov we are talking another whole level of special.

Not sure he reaches that but if he does wow. I know that is a lot to put out there for slater but he reminds me of vladdy a lot with the little i have watched.

I ranked deangelo higher right now myself because is hard to fathom koekkoek hitting that level. Even though I think he can? It is rare when it happens but slater has everything to be great super great elite even. Deangelo is gonna score he just has to be adequate on defense to be great lol. Is a lot easier path why have one over other myself. I hope both get there though:)

Well, better in my opinion that is. I didn't like the DeAngelo pick when it happened, still don't love it but it has been growing for me; once I hopefully see a bit more of him next season and get to follow him actively, perhaps I'll love the pick, even. I think DeAngelo has some nice upside, I just see Koekkoek having a very nice upside as well and more likely to reach it.

The thing is that prospects like DeAngelo are rare; dynamic offensive defenders with big shots. That's why the pick is growing for me, there really aren't so many that kind of prospects. But in the same time, prospects like Koekkoek aren't very common, either. Smart, smooth skating two-way defenseman like Koekkoek is IMO more valuable than a player like DeAngelo.

I wouldn't really compare Koekkoek to Konstantinov. He was way more physical than Koekkoek is and was much more of a shutdown guy, albeit with a good shot and decent passing. Koekkoek is more like Bouwmeester. Not overly physical but can use size as an advantage and an amazing skater.

But overall, Koekkoek brings a lot of the same things to the table as DeAngelo does in terms of offense, his transition game is perhaps even better and his overall puck-moving ability is pretty much around the same level as DeAngelo's. The difference between these two players offensively is their shot; DeAngelo has better shot and knows how to use it. So just all in all, if DeAngelo reaches his potential he will be a good guy to have on your PP and to help with your transition game etc. Koekkoek (if he reaches his potential) will be a #3 that can play big ES minutes, PK and PP.

Both are good defense prospects, though and it's nice to have that kind of guys on your pipeline, especially when defense has been a big concern for this franchise for nearly 10 years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well, better in my opinion that is. I didn't like the DeAngelo pick when it happened, still don't love it but it has been growing for me; once I hopefully see a bit more of him next season and get to follow him actively, perhaps I'll love the pick, even. I think DeAngelo has some nice upside, I just see Koekkoek having a very nice upside as well and more likely to reach it.

The thing is that prospects like DeAngelo are rare; dynamic offensive defenders with big shots. That's why the pick is growing for me, there really aren't so many that kind of prospects. But in the same time, prospects like Koekkoek aren't very common, either. Smart, smooth skating two-way defenseman like Koekkoek is IMO more valuable than a player like DeAngelo.

I wouldn't really compare Koekkoek to Konstantinov. He was way more physical than Koekkoek is and was much more of a shutdown guy, albeit with a good shot and decent passing. Koekkoek is more like Bouwmeester. Not overly physical but can use size as an advantage and an amazing skater.

But overall, Koekkoek brings a lot of the same things to the table as DeAngelo does in terms of offense, his transition game is perhaps even better and his overall puck-moving ability is pretty much around the same level as DeAngelo's. The difference between these two players offensively is their shot; DeAngelo has better shot and knows how to use it. So just all in all, if DeAngelo reaches his potential he will be a good guy to have on your PP and to help with your transition game etc. Koekkoek (if he reaches his potential) will be a #3 that can play big ES minutes, PK and PP.

Both are good defense prospects, though and it's nice to have that kind of guys on your pipeline, especially when defense has been a big concern for this franchise for nearly 10 years.

The shoulder issues still scare me with Koekkoek. I'm just not sure how realistic it is to expect someone to come back 100% from three consecutive pretty major shoulder injuries. I'm sure SK and company are saying all the right things about it, but I think it's something we should be concerned about in terms of whether or not SK will be as good as we'd hoped.

I'm with you on the Konstantinov comparison. I don't see that at all. Konstantinov was one of the three or four nastiest players I've ever seen (and also one of the dirtiest). He was like a ball of intense hatred and a pair of skates. He was like a faster, more cerebral and less maniacal (and far dirtier) version of Radko Gudas. His defense was top-notch, but his offense was somewhere between "okay" and "pretty good." ...although I seem to remember him being weirdly good on breakaways. I think we're hoping for SK to be a bit more of an offensive threat while it's a stretch to assume he, or anyone, will be as good as Konstantinov was defensively.

SK to me looks a lot more like that sort of generic top-end D prospect who does everything well and skates better than almost everyone. I don't say "generic" in a bad way. It's hard to find a specific comparison because a lot of very good defensemen play that style.

DeAngelo, to me, feels like a project. He could be something special if he learns to play defense (at least from what I've read), and he's entering a developmental system where he's going to need to submit to that in order to advance. I've heard a number of coaches say something along the lines of, "I can't teach a defensive guy how to score, but I can teach a scorer how to play defense." And I think that line of thinking went into the pick.

But he's such a project that it's hard to evaluate him right now against our other prospects because we know that what we're seeing is probably going to be much different than the finished product. A guy like Adam Erne, or even Jonathan Drouin, it's not hard to imagine what that guy will look like in the NHL. But, at least it seems to me, DeAngelo's game is probably going to change a lot between now and 3-4 years from now. And yeah, my guess is he'll spent 1-2 years in the AHL, where the majority of his learning will likely take place.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I get everyone looked at konny as an agitator and his big hits but that wasnt what he was to me I always think about the skating a couple years before stanley cup guy had three short handed goals lmfao, think he had two on the stanley cup year:). Think of that to me what stood out was the skating and positioning he was becoming better than lidstrom and that is saying something. His skating was sooo smooth so just good was really fun to watch konny lol. He became my favorite before the accident and think he might have became argue wise best defender ever. He was getting better and better scary good.

slater seems to have all those extra things all of them so if he can reach his top form not be injury prone he could be scary good and I love watching him skate. Not sure slater ever gets super physical but the skating I think is better than hedman already.

P.S. in regards to deangelo's defense from what I saw in prospect camp etc.. I have zero worries he has to the two factors I want to see speed/skill and tenacity. He has that attitude wish was bigger but those attributes will make him just fine and a number one d guy on some team. Not on us cause we will have others lol who are bigger etc.. but power play etc.. he is gonna be our guy imho the kid has skillz in offense unbelievable skills to me.

Last edited:

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
1. Jonathan Drouin (90.91%)
2. Andrei Vasilevskiy (93.81%)
3. Nikita Kucherov (63.27%)
4. Slater Koekkoek (66.67%)
7. Andrej Sustr (40.48%)
9. Adam Erne (78.57%)
15. Adam Wilcox (36.00%)
18. Brian Hart (35.00%)
23. Cody Kunyk (46.15%)
24. Ben Thomas (43.75%)

1. drouin 2. vasi 3. clutch 4. deangelo 5. slater 6. vladdy 7. erne 8. sustr 9. connolly 10. wilcox 11. point 12. masin 13. gudlevskis 14. ikonen 15. paquette 16. peca. 17 richard 18 nesterov 19. dotchin 20. oddonell 21 kunyk 22 hart 23 blujus 24 thomas 25 marchessault would put macleod than witkowski after those picks like macloed need a longer look

Wilcox over Gudlevskis? I don't think so.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB

DeAngelo's vision is probably better than Koekkoek. When I look at DeAngelo, he reminds me of PK Subban as an Offensive Dmen, but no matter how good he becomes in his defensive zone, he will always be considered an average defender in his own zone. Another year in the OHL, and more than likely 1-2 years in AHL will help him at least get to an average defender in his own zone.

Koekkoek on the other hand (if healthy), will be a defensive first Dmen who will chip in offensively eventually in his career. His skating is probably already top 5 on the Lightning roster. A healthy season in Syracuse will go a long way in his development.

I didn't like the DeAngelo pick as I thought we could land him at 28, mostly because I wanted Robby Fabbri, but the pick is growing on me and I trust Steve Yzerman and Al Murray. Also we got steals in Cameron Darcy and Brayden point IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad