2. Andrei Vasilevskiy (93.81%)
3. Nikita Kucherov (63.27%)
4. Slater Koekkoek (66.67%)
5. Anthony DeAngelo (43.48%)
6. Brett Connolly (33.33%)

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Brett Connolly and Sustr are not prospects. Technically, Kucherov isn't either. If we're throwing them in there then we may as well include Gudas, Barbs, TJ and Palat.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Brett Connolly and Sustr are not prospects. Technically, Kucherov isn't either. If we're throwing them in there then we may as well include Gudas, Barbs, TJ and Palat.

Both Sustr and Kucherov are still prospects by HF standards (65 NHL games is the cut-off, Sustr has played 45 regular season + 3 playoff games, Kucherov 52 regular season + 2 playoff games). I included Connolly since he was also included in last year polls, as voted in this poll. I know that Killorn and Gudas who are in that A group as well but they both just played full NHL seasons. Connolly has only played one season in the NHL, and then the past two season in the AHL. That makes him more or less a prospect, IMO.

But yeah, I probably should have made a poll about including some of these guys, thought that it was unnecessary. Too late to do it now, though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, in Connolly's case, spending two full years in the AHL has to regress a guy to prospect status.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Both Sustr and Kucherov are still prospects by HF standards (65 NHL games is the cut-off, Sustr has played 45 regular season + 3 playoff games, Kucherov 52 regular season + 2 playoff games). I included Connolly since he was also included in last year polls, as voted in this poll. I know that Killorn and Gudas who are in that A group as well but they both just played full NHL seasons. Connolly has only played one season in the NHL, and then the past two season in the AHL. That makes him more or less a prospect, IMO.

But yeah, I probably should have made a poll about including some of these guys, thought that it was unnecessary. Too late to do it now, though.

Well Connolly has a total of 84 NHL games, he isn't a prospect. Kucherov and Sustr I can see the argument but I still don't agree. To me, if you are no longer eligible to win the Calder Trophy, you are no longer a prospect.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I agree with Matt if you aren't a rookie by the NHL'S standards you shouldn't be considered a prospect. Voted for Erne again. If he hits his potential he'll be a more impactful player then Sustr or Namestnikov who are safe picks.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yeah, in Connolly's case, spending two full years in the AHL has to regress a guy to prospect status.

Connolly doesn't match prospect status by HF standards (84 NHL games played) nor rookie status by NHL standards (More than 25 games played in a single season AND played more than 6 games in each of any two seasons). Being unable to crack a lineup doesn't return you to prospect status.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Connolly doesn't match prospect status by HF standards (84 NHL games played) nor rookie status by NHL standards (More than 25 games played in a single season AND played more than 6 games in each of any two seasons). Being unable to crack a lineup doesn't return you to prospect status.

Technically? No.

But we think of him in the exact same light as we think of guys like Drouin, Namestnikov, etc. He's a guy who's not yet a mainstay with our roster and who we're hoping will be, just like every other prospect. The fact that he's not technically a prospect doesn't change that he's in the same boat as every prospect in the organization, so removing him is just semantics.

The poll could have read: "Which of these non-fixtures in our NHL lineup has the most potential?" but it's easier to use the word "prospect."

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Technically? No.

But we think of him in the exact same light as we think of guys like Drouin, Namestnikov, etc. He's a guy who's not yet a mainstay with our roster and who we're hoping will be, just like every other prospect. The fact that he's not technically a prospect doesn't change that he's in the same boat as every prospect in the organization, so removing him is just semantics.

The poll could have read: "Which of these non-fixtures in our NHL lineup has the most potential?" but it's easier to use the word "prospect."

Except "prospect" does not mean "non-fixtures in our NHL lineup". Prospect has it's own definition, so using it as the criteria for a poll and then including player(s) that aren't "prospects" is misleading.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
To me Brett is still a prospect somehow. Either way, I'm going with Sustr again (3rd time's the charm right?).

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Except "prospect" does not mean "non-fixtures in our NHL lineup". Prospect has it's own definition, so using it as the criteria for a poll and then including player(s) that aren't "prospects" is misleading.

Well, I have already said why I included Connolly, don't see why it's such a big deal - majority of the voters in these polls wanted to see him in last years polls, I don't see why Connolly's status would have changed too much from last year. And again, I don't see any reason why I would have excluded Kucherov or Sustr from these polls since both have little NHL experience, not enough to be considered as graduated prospects by HF. Not very misleading to have two guys that are prospects in a poll, neither is to have one guy that most Lightning fans seem to consider as one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Which is why it's semantics.

The poll seems to be simply trying to figure out who we think has the most potential for our future. Would it be technically correct to remove Connolly? Yes. But it wouldn't be practical, because Connolly's situation is exactly the same as everyone on the list. So I don't see what purpose it would serve to remove him from the list other than to maintain the integrity of the word "prospect." If we made a list without Connolly, we'd then just have to figure out where he fits into it.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I just find it laughable that the guy labeled a bust by 90 something percent of our fan base has a higher ceiling than sustr vladdy and erne. Among others. To me that is very funny.

I hope our vote comes out right cause if it does we got another guy in semi superstar status.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Wow Namestnikov is underrated. Wonder if anything would change if brett wasn't drafted so high. He's a non factor in >95% of the games he's played. I might get it if he actually showed flashes of being a really good player when he plays in the NHL but he dosent do that

You can actually see that Sustr is going to be very good but with brett no not at all.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
If Connolly doesnt get traded...oh man I look forward to having some of you guys eat your words. Connolly will be fine if slotted correctly. That means not playing Center - playing RW. That means not top 6 immediately but slotted in the third line and have him time to get his confidence & playmaking ability shining. Panik and Connolly have very high ceilings ... ya'll can't give up on these prospects this fast. Not everyone can be a TJ and Palat - this is the exception.

These kids need time to adjust and develop. Yzerman sent the right message to Panik and Connolly this off-season - that is why their contracts aren't signed yet. Nothing is given to them and having them sweat a bit is the right move. #trustyzerplan

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
If Connolly doesnt get traded...oh man I look forward to having some of you guys eat your words. Connolly will be fine if slotted correctly. That means not playing Center - playing RW. That means not top 6 immediately but slotted in the third line and have him time to get his confidence & playmaking ability shining. Panik and Connolly have very high ceilings ... ya'll can't give up on these prospects this fast. Not everyone can be a TJ and Palat - this is the exception.

These kids need time to adjust and develop. Yzerman sent the right message to Panik and Connolly this off-season - that is why their contracts aren't signed yet. Nothing is given to them and having them sweat a bit is the right move. #trustyzerplan

I remember when a guy went off on Nate Thompson. Nate was a good player a fourth line player doing his job very well actually. Was that you or boltman?

Might be same person? is now saying hey these guys even though they are top six players somewhere should stay and be given a chance when other more talented guys are ahead of them and they are not great bottom line players?

YOUR WORDS

Connolly will be FINE if slotted correctly.

FINE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS TEAM

We are going to run 3 semi scoring lines I have zero doubts but that means is 9 slots.

People like panik who I dont think is a top six player and connolly who I do think is a top six player need to be in upper lines to have worth or more worth than say other guys who are coming.

Kucherov Namestnikov Erne and Paquette

We have
stamkos palat johnson callahan and filppula and
killorn.

Thats 10 spots
JT Brown is better defensively than connolly or Panik and Boyle is keeping his spot.

With brown that is 12 guys who could or should be up this year. Even if not this year say next is two maybe three more guys who will push and two guys who are the type you want on bottom in odonnell and kunyk. Than you have Ikonen who really looks like he is a player and Richard who I expect to blow up this season.

So saying all this good luck to both brett and richard is a numbers game and they will need a lot of help for this roster. We add a RW which I honestly expect is one less role. Is gonna get ugly here fast.

They just are going to get passed by better players. More complete players or players with full toolboxes and deepers skillsets.

Doesnt mean they dont have a use or even a lot of use. Just not here longterm.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I remember when a guy went off on Nate Thompson. Nate was a good player a fourth line player doing his job very well actually.

This same person is now saying hey these guys even though they are top six players somewhere should stay and be given a chance when other more talented guys are ahead of them and they are not great bottom line players?

Kinda out there my friend. YOUR WORDS

Huh? Don't know what you are talking about...my words? What? I have no problems with Name Thompson - never have. Find quote please...I think, as usual, you are confused. I don't even know how this relates to the conversation of Connolly...

Connolly will be FINE if slotted correctly.

FINE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS TEAM

You really need to ease up on them expectations Robert. The whole management team from Yzerman to Cooper is telling you a long way to go still. I get you are excited about what this team could be...but don't get your panties in a bunch - temper your expectations a bit.

We are going to run 3 semi scoring lines I have zero doubts but that means is 9 slots.

People like panik who I dont think is a top six player and connolly who I do think is a top six player need to be in upper lines to have worth or more worth than say other guys who are coming.

Stammer/Palat/Filp/Callahan/Johnson - sounds good to me. That is 5. Hate to brake it to you but Namestnikov/Paquette will be in the AHL as call-ups or in the case of Erne back to Juniors. Kucherov I predict will make the team in top 9. Killorn just got a new contract so he is slotted in top 9 as well. that is 7 of 9 slots filled. Drouin is next slotted in top 9 - I have him centering the third line. Or on the first line as wing as the season progresses.

Panik will be on fourth line with Brown - with Boyle at Center. You still have one spot in the top 9 and that is Connolly's slot.

Odonnell and Richard had a good camp and 3v3 tourney and all of a sudden they are a top prospect ... :rolleyes: I like Ikonen but he is ways away still - if ever.

In your words - we are rolling top 9 as three scoring lines. Connolly fits in a scoring line and per your own analysis since we are not rolling third line checking but third line scoring - Connolly is excellent fit there at 22 yrs old.

You are citing Kunyk who is slotted to play 2C in Syracuse and Richard who played third and fourth line (and was even healthy scratch at times there) at Syracuse last year as guys who may pass up Connolly in a third line scoring line...I don't know what to tell ya man.

**Quick edit here...Kunyk might play 2C with Pacquete on his LW. Or Kunyk at #3C if Pacquette beats him at 2C and organization wants to keep Pacquette at C**

But you know it all man...so I guess no sense in even discussing it with you.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Huh? Don't know what you are talking about...my words? What? I have no problems with Name Thompson - never have. Find quote please...I think, as usual, you are confused. I don't even know how this relates to the conversation of Connolly...

You really need to ease up on them expectations Robert. The whole management team from Yzerman to Cooper is telling you a long way to go still. I get you are excited about what this team could be...but don't get your panties in a bunch - temper your expectations a bit.

Stammer/Palat/Filp/Callahan/Johnson - sounds good to me. That is 5. Hate to brake it to you but Namestnikov/Paquette will be in the AHL as call-ups or in the case of Erne back to Juniors. Kucherov I predict will make the team in top 9. Killorn just got a new contract so he is slotted in top 9 as well. that is 7 of 9 slots filled. Drouin is next slotted in top 9 - I have him centering the third line. Or on the first line as wing as the season progresses.

Panik will be on fourth line with Brown - with Boyle at Center. You still have one spot in the top 9 and that is Connolly's slot.

Odonnell and Richard had a good camp and 3v3 tourney and all of a sudden they are a top prospect ... :rolleyes: I like Ikonen but he is ways away still - if ever.

In your words - we are rolling top 9 as three scoring lines. Connolly fits in a scoring line and per your own analysis since we are not rolling third line checking but third line scoring - Connolly is excellent fit there at 22 yrs old.

You are citing Kunyk who is slotted to play 2C in Syracuse and Richard who played third and fourth line (and was even healthy scratch at times there) at Syracuse last year as guys who may pass up Connolly in a third line scoring line...I don't know what to tell ya man.

**Quick edit here...Kunyk might play 2C with Pacquete on his LW. Or Kunyk at #3C if Pacquette beats him at 2C and organization wants to keep Pacquette at C**

But you know it all man...so I guess no sense in even discussing it with you.

Not sure you read all I wrote I said was you or boltman I get you two mixed up for some reason. You are the one with AHL knowledge he is the one who went off on thompson thing obviously.

Was no disrespect meant and nope I dont know anything or everything. I dont figure to either or have a high attitude in regards to anything like that:)

AHEM

I didnt say odonnell or ANY OF THOSE GUYS ARE TOP 9.

You misunderstood or misinterpreted. Which is cool just as I did on the thompson thing.

Each person is a piece. Connolly is one of our weakest players in two way play. He has improved but he will not be playing as our fourth line guy for long. I also do not see a guy like panik being able to do that myself. Killorn could actually JT Brown can and yes you trade some offense but is a role for fourth line guys.

I thought I was very clear in my thoughts I think you flew off the fence in a minor tantrum of what you thought I was saying or you took it wrong. For that I apologize but dont have such a thin skin OK?

It doesnt really matter will work out how it works out? But 37 years of watching hockey I have imho a good ideal of how it is going to work out with a lot of these guys at this point. I was surprised by one thing that steve has done since he came here in all honesty. One move and that was thompson. Yet knew it had to be for an upgrade type of what he believed and the team decision makers believed we needed.

As said I expect some kids to move this season during the year to clear spots for better players (might not have as high of upside or score as much) but will have more complete and better toolboxes for what the team needs to WIN. Is a huge draft year and will be like the ahl move last year with taormina and tyrell to get younger. I can see steve do that to a few guys myself. Especially with how this draft stacks up.

I hope everyone is ready for the ride cause people could take off a bit like conacher and be gone very quickly and we might have some unhappy fans. Yet you need a complete team to win and being one directional will not work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad