News Article: Tampa Bay Lightning Draft Preview (THW) + Free 2014 NHL Draft Guide

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Tampa Bay Lightning Draft Preview by THW's Roger Gorbet

Excerpt

"...there are several players available in this year’s draft that can help dreams of glory come to life. In the first installment of the Lightning draft preview, a pair of prospects who would be nice fits in the Tampa Bay organization are put under the microscope. Should either, or both, be available for the Lightning at 19 overall, it is difficult to see Tampa passing on them."

Link to full article here

The official THW draft HQ page is live as well:

2014 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones

Much to be added (we constantly updated as new material published), but a great starting point for your draft needs.

- featuring profiles (>75 thus far), rankings, mocks, unique perspectives & much more

____

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I think we'll have a shot at 2 out of the four on my list...Kempe/Barbashev and R. Mckown/Honka. I'd be happy with any combination of the four...if we can nab Barbashev and Kempe that would be my dream scenario. Hopefully DeAngelo falls to 50th!! One can only dream...

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Whoa, Roger Gorbet? He's my oldest brother's best friend and I've known this dude for years. I had no idea he was doing hockey writing for a living. Good stuff!

Sorry, but you know that feeling when a name just jumps off the page at you? That's what this post is, more-or-less.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I will fist pump if we get Barbashev to a slightly lesser degree than last year when we took Drouin. I reaaaally wanted Drouin over Jones and was kind of shocked when it happened.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
This is a very well written article. I can only hope we can get Barbashev or Honka with the 19th. Either would be a great fit in our system. It sounds like Honka's been falling in the draft as well, so if we could get Barbashev at 19 and Honka at 28, we would be killing it.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
This is a very well written article. I can only hope we can get Barbashev or Honka with the 19th. Either would be a great fit in our system. It sounds like Honka's been falling in the draft as well, so if we could get Barbashev at 19 and Honka at 28, we would be killing it.

That wouldn't be just simply killing it, more like murdering it in a very bloody manner

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I will fist pump if we get Barbashev to a slightly lesser degree than last year when we took Drouin. I reaaaally wanted Drouin over Jones and was kind of shocked when it happened.

I remember I was out bowling with my girlfriend and her little one during the draft and my phone had zero internet signal. I tried in vain to research what happened and got lucky enough to find info twice. The first time I thought we had selected Barkov and assumed Drouin went to Florida. An hour later when I tried again and I realized my error I jumped like I just won a million dollars.

Barkov is going to be a great player but he's not the one we needed. I really hope we snag Barbashev, we are LOADED at center for one, and I think he would be the best available at 19 if he was still up for grabs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I just hope the Kapitals don't go after Barbashev. It seems almost every year for the last 10 years they either draft a Swede or Russian with their top pick. The trend is undeniable.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I remember I was out bowling with my girlfriend and her little one during the draft and my phone had zero internet signal. I tried in vain to research what happened and got lucky enough to find info twice. The first time I thought we had selected Barkov and assumed Drouin went to Florida. An hour later when I tried again and I realized my error I jumped like I just won a million dollars.

Barkov is going to be a great player but he's not the one we needed. I really hope we snag Barbashev, we are LOADED at center for one, and I think he would be the best available at 19 if he was still up for grabs.

Wouldn't have complained about getting Barkov either :laugh:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wouldn't have complained about getting Barkov either :laugh:

I can't see how anyone could. I just figured (at the time) we already had our franchise center in Stamkos, our franchise defenseman in Hedman and franchise goalie in Vasilevski. All we needed was a franchise winger and Drouin (until we are apparently using him as a center) was certainly that I don't know how many goals he's going to score but if Drouin reaches his full potential in a few years he should come close to the neighborhood 100 points. He cracked 100 in Halifax no sweat in his comfort zone and I think he could do that with us at his peak as a player.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I'm still pretty dumbfounded by how spread the opinions are on the draft this year. The draft is in a week, and yet I still can't find any two articles that agree on almost any player. I feel like by now there should be a little bit more of an idea of who ranks where. This is going to be a fun draft to watch at the least.

gorbs27

Feb 20, 2006

Thanks for the kind words! I really need to start posting here more often. I agree that either would be great for the system, which is going to make Friday night quite nerve-wracking. I don't know that Barbashev gets to 19. I like Honka's chances of being on the board more, but I could see him being selected ahead of the Lightning as well. I hope that isn't the case. We'll see how it goes.

Whoa, Roger Gorbet? He's my oldest brother's best friend and I've known this dude for years. I had no idea he was doing hockey writing for a living. Good stuff!

Sorry, but you know that feeling when a name just jumps off the page at you? That's what this post is, more-or-less.

Hey buddy! It has been a while. Hope you are doing well!

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
Tampa Bay Lightning Draft Preview by THW's Roger Gorbet

Excerpt

Link to full article here

The official THW draft HQ page is live as well:

2014 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones

Much to be added (we constantly updated as new material published), but a great starting point for your draft needs.

- featuring profiles (>75 thus far), rankings, mocks, unique perspectives & much more

____

I've read most of your articles, The Next ones, ect. Love your work! It's one of the only sites available for the draft that is free. Thank you for your hard work.

PS Everytime I have a chance I RT your articles on twitter! Keep up the good work!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad