Rumor: Tampa Bay Lightning do not qualify Carter Verhaeghe

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's a replaceable fourth liner and arbitration probably would've given him too much money.

Reactions: Morrison

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I think his first play in the final was an egregious slashing penalty. :laugh: Apparently we want him back, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else take a flier on him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's a replaceable fourth liner and arbitration probably would've given him too much money.

He had 8 even strength goals this year which is the same as DeBrincat, Voracek, Gusev, Radulov, Pavelski and Duchene while playingless than 10 minutesa night. His g/60 at 5v5 was better than Kreider, Kane, McKinnon and Laine. I'm not saying he's as good or better than those players but his numbers aren't bad definitely better than a replacement 4th liner like you say.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He had 8 even strength goals this year which is the same as DeBrincat, Voracek, Gusev, Radulov, Pavelski and Duchene while playingless than 10 minutesa night. His g/60 at 5v5 was better than Kreider, Kane, McKinnon and Laine. I'm not saying he's as good or better than those players but his numbers aren't bad definitely better than a replacement 4th liner like you say.

On one of the best teams in the league. Pretty sure Tampa can find someone else to replace him adequately pretty easy if they don't already have that in the system. Volkov for example. Verhaeghe is not a key player on Tampa in the slightest. Winning teams have to let players go.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
On one of the best teams in the league. Pretty sure Tampa can find someone else to replace him adequately pretty easy if they don't already have that in the system. Volkov for example. Verhaeghe is not a key player on Tampa in the slightest. Winning teams have to let players go.

Volkov with his 1 point and 0 goals so far in his 10 NHL games? He could replace him in a 4th line role but he won't be scoring goals at a similar clip. I get they have to let players go but the difference in money between Verheaghe and Volkov will probably be less than 200k, Verheaghe has shown better offensive ability so I would pay the extra for that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Volkov with his 1 point and 0 goals so far in his 10 NHL games? He could replace him in a 4th line role but he won't be scoring goals at a similar clip. I get they have to let players go but the difference in money between Verheaghe and Volkov will probably be less than 200k, Verheaghe has shown better offensive ability so I would pay the extra for that.

Well Tampa aparently thought Verhaeghes arbitration case would award him more than what they thought he was worth. So i doubt he is going to be that cheap.

Reactions: Morrison

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Lightning tax :biglaugh:

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
I mean this isn't new. Hawks had plenty of role players who looked much better while with the Hawks while that team was winning. Many of them went to other teams and didn't look that good. A great system does that.
Fair point. The charitable version of the "Lightning tax" argument is "more than the sum of its parts," but I'm so used to seeing that line of argumentation used to depress evaluations of players, e.g. Brayden Point, Anthony Cirelli. You'd think sometimes that the Lightning don't actually have any good players.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I mean this isn't new. Hawks had plenty of role players who looked much better while with the Hawks while that team was winning. Many of them went to other teams and didn't look that good. A great system does that.
It depends case by case. Not everyone on the Lightning gets to play with Point and Kucherov as some people (not talking about you) seem to think. Some talented players may also be stuck in the lower lines with no real opportunities given, players who could blossom elsewhere (see: Marchessault). JT Miller also just had his career year right after being traded away from Tampa.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I still think we might bring him back. The team said they would like to. They just need him super cheap. Not sure anybody else throws him more than a million.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I hope Detroit signa him he will be a good replacement for Glendenning when they move him at the trade deadline.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hope Detroit signa him he will be a good replacement for Glendenning when they move him at the trade deadline.
That's not a bad landing spot. I feel like Verhaeghe could be a serviceable scoring forward on a bad team. And from his point of view, he's going to want opportunity to turn into a bigger contract.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This guy looked fast but useless in every game I saw him in this year. No big loss.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There's also a chance that there's still some untapped potential there. He didn't show flashes of brilliance like JAM, but he did show them once in a while. So it wouldn't shock me if Detroit could get 40 points out of him in a scoring role.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
There's also a chance that there's still some untapped potential there. He didn't show flashes of brilliance like JAM, but he did show them once in a while. So it wouldn't shock me if Detroit could get 40 points out of him in a scoring role.

I have no watched him enough to know, I liked what I saw from him in the playoffs. I think he is a very low risk player. Cannot wait to see what happens tomorrow

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Led the AHL in scoring a couple of seasons ago so there is potential if he gets the right opportunity on a team not as offensively deep as the Lightning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad