Post-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning at New York Rangers 12/1/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
The money Lundqvist makes is a result of his elite play over the previous 9 years. He got his retirement contract because of everything that happened from the moment he filled in for Kevin Weeks, to last December when he signed his new contract.

This fan base have been spoiled having him as your goalie. Many don't realize how much worse this team would be, and how little playoff experience this team would have in the past 8 years without him.

He's been the main reason the Rangers have been relevant for a majority of his tenure here.

Are you his agent or something? So he should make more money than any player on the team, more than any goalie in the NHL by a solid margin, and he should be immune to criticism because he has been good in the past?

On what planet is that ok, and an effective way to run a hockey team?

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Previous posters and yourself are taking my response completely out of context. I was simply explaining that the money he is paid has nothing to do with the situation as a whole. He is paid because of his previous accomplishments. Put his contract aside.

No where did I say this is justification for him not making saves.

It's also not to say that he isn't making saves on high-percentage chances. He DOES. But no one remembers those as much as the ones that end up in the back of the net.

My point in a nutshell was this:

The team in front of him is directly responsible for allowing those high-percentage scoring opportunities to arise, which in the NHL are going to be capitalized on more so than not.

If the team in front of him plays better, he will as well. He can only do so much to carry a team on his shoulders day in, day out.

So, in other words, we'd be just as good with, say, Cory Crawford? Because if it's all about the team in front of you, why pay a goalie elite money? I'm only going on what you, the goalie expert, are saying.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
So, in other words, we'd be just as good with, say, Cory Crawford? Because if it's all about the team in front of you, why pay a goalie elite money?

We aren't the Chicago Blackhawks. That is the difference.

If Crawford was the goalie on the New York Rangers, this season would look A LOT different, and trust me not in a good way.

However, if Henrik Lundqvist was the goalie of the Chicago Blackhawks, you'd most likely be looking at a dynasty a la the New York Islanders of the early 80's.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
If anyone is familiar with Mitch Korn, (goaltending coach of the Washington Capitals), and also runs world-renowned goalie camps, this quote speaks to my point.

What Korn has come to understand about goaltending in the NHL is that whether you’re “cool and calm” like Carey Price or “dynamic” like Jonathan Quick or just trying to find your groove like Holtby, what’s happening in front of you is just as important as anything you’re doing:

Who’s the best goalie in the league? Is it the best goalie in the league, or the guy who can play the best because the team in front of him allows him to? You can only play the game that you’re dealt.”

You win and lose as a team. When the team elevates their play, eliminates mindless defensive breakdowns, turnovers, and odd-man rushes your goaltender is given a better chance to be successful.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York

If Crawford was the goalie on the New York Rangers, this season would look A LOT different, and trust me not in a good way.

However, if Henrik Lundqvist was the goalie of the Chicago Blackhawks, you'd most likely be looking at a dynasty a la the New York Islanders of the early 80's.

Wrong. An NHL goalie is only as good as his defense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Those are some big predictions. I love how you're predicting a team winning 4 cups in a row in a cap league without breaking a sweat. Especially based on one player that apparently is only as good as his team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If anyone is familiar with Mitch Korn, (goaltending coach of the Washington Capitals), and also runs world-renowned goalie camps, this quote speaks to my point.

You win and lose as a team. When the team elevates their play, eliminates mindless defensive breakdowns, turnovers, and odd-man rushes your goaltender is given a better chance to be successful.

So you constantly say that the goalie is only as good as the team in front of him, yet changing goalies would make the Blackhawks into a dynasty. :laugh:

Goaltending is very important when it comes to the Blackhawks, but not that important when it comes to the Rangers because that would make Lundqvist look bad.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
So you constantly say that the goalie is only as good as the team in front of him, yet changing goalies would make the Blackhawks into a dynasty. :laugh:

Goaltending is very important when it comes to the Blackhawks, but not that important when it comes to the Rangers because that would make Lundqvist look bad.

Agreed. I'm a fan of Lundqvist through and through, but that argument is kinda talking out of both sides of your mouth.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Here's a thought: where do we rank, league-wide, on faceoffs? It's gotta be damn near the bottom. Our lack of success in the face-off dot is contributing to our terrible PP and PK

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Our PP has been improving and currently sits at 19th; PK is at 17th (average).

I think it's less a face-off and more a Lack-of-Stepan issue.

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Buffalo just beat Tampa 2-1 in a shootout. Obviously they're going to show up more against us than Buffalo, but...Enroth with a .963 SV%.

You can't read that box score and tell me you didn't just die a little inside.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Buffalo just beat Tampa 2-1 in a shootout. Obviously they're going to show up more against us than Buffalo, but...Enroth with a .963 SV%.

I didn't just die a little inside. Anyone who did is a bit off in the sanity department.

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
I didn't just die a little inside. Anyone who did is a bit off in the sanity department.

It doesn't sting even a little to know friggin Buffalo just managed to limit the 2nd highest scoring team in the league, the team that scored 15 goals on us in 3 games AND completed the season sweep, to 1 goal? That sucks.

Obviously I'm not trying to act like the world is on fire and our season's over, it's just embarrassing.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It doesn't sting even a little to know friggin Buffalo just managed to limit the 2nd highest scoring team in the league, the team that scored 15 goals on us in 3 games AND completed the season sweep, to 1 goal? That sucks.

Obviously I'm not trying to act like the world is on fire and our season's over, it's just embarrassing.

Some teams don't match up well. Our defense is also still not completely healthy (almost 30 games into the season, ugh)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Another thing that sucks is that man to man takes about 5-15 games to get used to, and that goes for every single individual defender on the team.

McDonagh looks like crap because he's hardly played this season... Same for Boyle

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

I surprisingly don't give a **** at all actually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad