GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning (38-14-3) @ Toronto Maple Leafs (33-19-5) | 7:00 PM EST | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
cut.jpg

Tampa Bay Lightning (38-14-3) @ Toronto Maple Leafs (33-19-5)
Air Canada Centre
7:00 PM EST
TV: TSN4
Radio: TSN1050

After a hyped up game on January 2nd ended up being relatively boring and a 2-0 loss for Toronto, the Maple Leafs and Lightning meet again for the 2nd time this season in what could be a potential 1st round matchup. Freddy Andersen is expected to get the start for the Leafs, Andrei Vasilevskiy is expected to start for TB.

:leafs
Forwards
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Kapanen

Defence
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak

Goalies
Andersen
McElhinney

Extras/Injured
Soshnikov (Away from team until Tuesday)
Martin (healthy scratch)
Leivo (healthy scratch)
Carrick (healthy scratch)

:bolts
Forwards
Gourde - Stamkos - Johnson
Killorn - Point - Kucherov
Conacher - Namestnikov - Erne
Kunitz - Peca - Callahan

Defence
Hedman - Stralman
Sergachev - Girardi
Coburn - Sustr

Goalies
Vasilevskiy
Budaj

TB lineup taken from their last GDT, could be changes

GO LEAFS GO!

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
maxresdefault.jpg

667255746.jpg.0.jpg

Monday game preview: Tampa Bay Lightning at Toronto Maple Leafs

Lightning forward Stamkos has scored 20 goals for the ninth time.

Monday game preview: Tampa Bay Lightning at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

av.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x707.jpg

Andrei Vasilevskiy, left, posted his league-leading 33rd win Saturday. (Chris O'Meara / The Associated Press)

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Sun., Feb. 11, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
PUCK DROP:
7 p.m.
TV: TSN
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Vasilevskiy/Andersen
This game should pit two of the leading Vezina Trophy candidates against each other. Tampa Bay’s Andrei Vasilevskiy has the inside track on the award: He faced a season- high 44 shots Saturday in a 4-3 win over Los Angeles, including brilliant stops on Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty. Vasilevskiy won his NHL leading 33rd game, and is 6-1-0 in his last seven outings. Frederik Andersen has also been in good form, with three straight wins and six in his last eight.
NEED TO KNOW
Leafs winger Nikita Soshnikov finished his five-game conditioning stint with the Marlies on Sunday, and is due back with the team . . . Saturday reports suggested the Leafs, not surprisingly, will not shop impending free agent James van Riemsdyk at the trade deadline. He leads the Leafs in shots with 166, and is second in goals with 22 . . . Markham native Steven Stamkos fired his 20th goal of the season last week, giving him nine 20-goal seasons and tying him with Martin St. Louis for second in Lightning history.
UP NEXT
Wednesday, vs. Columbus, 7 p.m.

Game Day: Lightning at Maple Leafs
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan

Game Day: Lightning at Maple Leafs

point4webb-e1518394065625.jpg

Brayden Point of the Tampa Bay Lightning. (MIKE EHRMANN/Getty Images files)

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Monday, 7 p.m., Air Canada Centre
TV: TSN4, Radio: 1050 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
Brayden Point vs. Morgan Rielly

While Rielly might see more of the Steven Stamkos line, you can bet he will be wary if he goes up against the small but speedy Point. Rielly and Point know each other well, going back to their days as teammates from 2011-13 with the Moose Jaw Warriors. Rielly has hit a career high with 28 assists while Point, two years Rielly’s junior, has been solid for Tampa Bay in his two NHL seasons.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
Tampa D a challenge
It was one thing for the Maple Leafs to overwhelm the Ottawa Senators with a relentless forecheck on Saturday; it will be quite another to make Victor Hedman, Anton Stralman, and the deep Lightning defence corps look foolish. Mike Babcock is fond of saying he always wants more. The Leafs’ cohesion will have to be close to perfect on Monday.
Pride of Markham
Rumours of a Leafs trade involving Steven Stamkos died a quick death when he re-signed with Tampa Bay two years ago. Stamkos always has loved playing against the Leafs, putting up 38 points in 32 games (against only Atlanta/Winnipeg and Florida does Stamkos have more). One of Auston Matthews or Nazem Kadri will try to keep him in check.
Matthews and friends
The line of Kadri between Mitch Marner and Patrick Marleau produced 10 points versus Ottawa, and Matthews, William Nylander and Zach Hyman worked some magic with the puck too. The Leafs have been shut out twice this season, with one of the zeroes coming versus Tampa Bay on Jan. 2. Matthews will be among those wanting to atone.
Then there’s Kucherov
Hands up, all two of you, who had Nikita Kucherov winning the Art Ross Trophy. Kucherov, who Morgan Rielly once told us was one of the more underrated players in the NHL, is in the driver’s seat with a league-high 69 points. After going 11 games without a goal, Kucherov, whose release is just one of his weapons, has scored in consecutive games.
Goalie duel on tap?
Frederik Andersen’s 47 starts in 2017-18 led the NHL going into Sunday, though Andrei Vasilevskiy was not exactly lagging, starting 45 for the Lightning. The latter has a .929 save percentage and a league-best seven shutouts; Andersen is at .921 and four shutouts. Both are in the Vezina Trophy conversation. Safe bet? Low-scoring match.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW
Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Leo Komarov-Dominic Moore-Kasperi Kapanen
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Connor Carrick
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
LIGHTNING LINES
LW-C-RW
Yanni Gourde-Steven Stamkos-Tyler Johnson
Alex Killorn-Brayden Point-Nikita Kucherov
Cory Conacher-Vladislav Namestikov-Adam Erne
Chris Kunitz-Cedric Paquette-Ryan Callahan
Defence pairs
Victor Hedman-Anton Stralman
Mikhail Sergachev-Dan Girardi
Braydon Coburn-Andrej Sustr
Goaltenders
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Louis Domingue
INJURIES
Lightning — G Peter Budaj (leg), F Ondrej Palat (lower body).
Maple Leafs — None.
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Lightning: 24.1% (3rd)
Maple Leafs: 20.6% (15th)
Penalty kill
Lightning: 78.6% (22nd)
Maple Leafs: 82.8% (5th)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ultimate measuring stick match. Both teams know they may meet R1 or R2 and will be playing as such to send a message. We failed the first real Boston match so lets take it to the lightning!

Go Leafs Go!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
if they get a PP tonight they better bury it because this is Yampa, this isn't Ottawa, this isn't Buffalo this is a team where if you have a chance to bury them you better do it

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It will be a good test, but I wouldn't read too much into it win or lose

Good advice which I'm quite sure will be ignored. From my POV, I don't care as much about the result as I do about how we play. I'd much rather play a complete game at both ends of the ice and lose a close one than win the way we did against NSH. In any case, no matter what happens it's just one game and it's still a couple of months until the playoffs start.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TB is and was my Cup favourite all year long, so this will be a great test and measure stick to compare our Leafs against.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Is Polak out? Or are the lineups posted just matching the ones from Saturday?

Pretty sure it's just from saturday. There has to be a roster move made due to the Soshnikov situation. Our 4th line may not look like that either
I don’t see why Polak would be in, we were pretty good Saturday.

As for Soshnikov, yes I just read earlier he is supposed to be back today, so I’ll edit the lineups whenever I see the changes. PRAYING he or Leivo are just traded or something though so Kapanen doesn’t have to go back down.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don’t see why Polak would be in, we were pretty good Saturday.

As for Soshnikov, yes I just read earlier he is supposed to be back today, so I’ll edit the lineups whenever I see the changes. PRAYING he or Leivo are just traded or something though so Kapanen doesn’t have to go back down.

Soshnikov played Saturday and Sunday, so I can't see them playing him 3 games in 3 days.

So reasonable option is to demote Kapanen and dress Leivo, or trade someone.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Soshnikov played Saturday and Sunday, so I can't see them playing him 3 games in 3 days.

Reasonable option is to Waive Moore, who does nothing for us. Move Komarov to C and play Martin on the wing.

Tampa is a physical team to go along with their skill.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I don't know how you possibly justify demoting Kapanen, even if it's temporary...

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't know how you possibly justify demoting Kapanen, even if it's temporary...

It's just business.

It's just 1 game and depending on your slant some people are saying the result isn't worth worrying about. Now let's wait for those same people to respond that you can't demote Kapanen because ... so he misses one day of NHL salary.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It is just business, but we have other players that should be demoted before Kapanen. I understand why he's suggested, but we have a big game against Tampa tonight and we're a better team with Kapanen than without him.

Our eyes should be squarely on the teams ahead of us. I don't see the argument to saying this game result isn't worth worrying about personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad