Talking The Avs Ep 11 - “A trade is happening soonâ€

AvsFanJosh

Aug 27, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Honestly id trade our 1st for drouin. We need winger depth and yea its nice to draft top 10 but we'd probably have to wait a year or two for that prospect to develop. Drouin would probably be ready to play a full season on the avs. He's highly skilled and has had chemistry with mack in the past. I think he just wasn't used properly in tampa or didn't fit in their system.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Honestly id trade our 1st for drouin. We need winger depth and yea its nice to draft top 10 but we'd probably have to wait a year or two for that prospect to develop. Drouin would probably be ready to play a full season on the avs. He's highly skilled and has had chemistry with mack in the past. I think he just wasn't used properly in tampa or didn't fit in their system.

I'm also willing to deal the first, however, it's looking less and less likely that we'll even pick top ten. All the more reason to deal it away, IMO. Still rather have Rychel than Drouin, we need a power forward in the top six, but I wouldn't cry about Drouin wearing an Avs sweater.

AvsFanJosh

Aug 27, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
I'm also willing to deal the first, however, it's looking less and less likely that we'll even pick top ten. All the more reason to deal it away, IMO. Still rather have Rychel than Drouin, we need a power forward in the top six, but I wouldn't cry about Drouin wearing an Avs sweater.
Never seen Rychel play so i have no idea who he is or the type of player he is. But ive seen a couple people here saying they'd be happy with either player in a trade so he must be good or show some strong potential.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Never seen Rychel play so i have no idea who he is or the type of player he is. But ive seen a couple people here saying they'd be happy with either player in a trade so he must be good or show some strong potential.

He projects to me like a Landeskog type power forward, as opposed to the flashier Drouin. Rychel just seems to make more sense for our needs going forward.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Only way I'd trade our 1st this year is if it's top 10 protected.

What would we pick with a top 10 pick though? A promising 18yo winger, the top 10 is full of those. If we trade the pick for a promising young winger with some development on him, what do we really lose? Unless it's a top 3 and we can land a game-changer like Chychrun, Matthews or Laine, of course.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What would we pick with a top 10 pick though? A promising 18yo winger, the top 10 is full of those. If we trade the pick for a promising young winger with some development on him, what do we really lose? Unless it's a top 3 and we can land a game-changer like Chychrun, Matthews or Laine, of course.

We cover this in the podcast but yeah if the first can bring in a young winger who has a few years of development under his belt sure it makes sense but the first isn't even close to getting Drouin. I do not want an average NHL roster player or God forbid a rental for our first.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We cover this in the podcast but yeah if the first can bring in a young winger who has a few years of development under his belt sure it makes sense but the first isn't even close to getting Drouin. I do not want an average NHL roster player or God forbid a rental for our first.

Ugh. Yeah, a rental would be the absolute worst thing I can imagine for the first.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nick Holden's turned himself into a good dman. No need to snicker about him there at the end when he's looking like a nice middle pairing dman this year and signed for cheap third-pairing money. He'll be good to help cover for Biegs & Zads, especially after we've driven Beauch into the ground sometime around next christmas.

Hopefully some team gets tricked by Redmond's advanced stats and give something of value up for him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm laughing at the folks who think Holden is trade bait at the deadline, I said he deserves credit for the way he's played. Ive seen people actually suggest that the Avs might look to unload his contract. I'm not kidding when I say he's safer than MacKinnon. And yes for the play he's given and the money he's making he is worth that contract.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A first alone isn't going to get it done for Drouin folks. We're going to have to add a good prospect and maybe another piece. Also asking for it top 10 protected makes it even worse. Top 5 protected or lottery protected might work but top 10 definitely not.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
A first alone isn't going to get it done for Drouin folks. We're going to have to add a good prospect and maybe another piece. Also asking for it top 10 protected makes it even worse. Top 5 protected or lottery protected might work but top 10 definitely not.
Lottery protection is top 14 protection now.

"Beginning in 2016, the Draft Lottery will be utilized to assign the top three drafting slots in the NHL Draft, an expansion over previous years when the Draft Lottery was used to determine the winner of the first overall selection only.

Three draws will be held: the 1st Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery draw will determine the club selecting third overall."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

Edit: This means even if the Avs miss the playoffs by 1 point they'll have a small chance to draft 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
By lottery protected I meant if they win one of those lottery spots the pick isn't moved. I'm aware of the new lottery rules.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Any conditional pick would be turned over after the lottery. Top 5 protection would protect the Avs in case they got a top 3 pick.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Would people do 1st+Compher or 1st+Compher+Siemens for Droiun or is it too steep at that point?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd do Wood+Compher+2016 1st(has to be top 10 protected) for Drouin.

IMO, you don't top 10 protect a 1st round pick for Drouin. The most you might get away with is to protect it against 1st O/A.

Seeing as how Drouin was a 3rd over all pick himself, that's two years further along in his development.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
IMO, you don't top 10 protect a 1st round pick for Drouin. The most you might get away with is to protect it against 1st O/A.

Seeing as how Drouin was a 3rd over all pick himself, that's two years further along in his development.

It has to be top 3 protected, at least!

If you miss one of the Finns because of Drouin, you should be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad