taking on Cap Dumps

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not against Semin, but not sure why we wouldn't make them eat the salary difference between the two. Weiss showed a lot more with his minutes last year than Semin did.

Weiss would have been the top scorer on the Leafs in points per ice time.

It isn't going the way we hoped, but offensively he actually isn't quite as bad as people make him out to be, especially when he actually plays with some talent.

Interestingly the guy that seemed to do best with Pulkkinen was Weiss. I wonder what Blashill's plans are with him.

I would still trade him for Semin, but the Wings don't like Semin so it would be a remarkable shift from them to entertain this. Datsyuk also made no push for him the first time around when he was a more attractive asset, so the Dats will babysit him logic doesn't seem to hold.

Still he is an incredible talent, and he actually plays two way hockey. The Canes struggled mightily E. Staal, Jordan Staal, Skinner, Semin and Tlusty were all bad. Even Faulk was bad for their first half. They actually played decent hockey as a team in the middle stretch of the season but completely ko'd themselves in the opening month. It would be an interesting experiment and certainly a big risk to bring him in but I wouldn't kill a Weiss for Semin swap, it would be a bold move in my opinion.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Don't see it happening, but I'd love it. I wanted Semin here when he was a free agent, and despite his meltdown, I'd sooner take a chance on that type of player than give Weiss the benefit of the doubt.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Don't know how many of you saw this:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline · 16h hours ago
NHL GM over the weekend, noting teams' salary cap woes: "You can get a hell of a player with a second-round pick (at this year's draft)."

Well thanks for rubbing it in Mr. GM over the weekend

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
I'd rather have Weiss sitting in the press box than Semin.

That sounds like a good way to hurt your team's on-ice play. For all the crap Semin has gotten about his drop off in production, his team has generally been better on both sides of the puck when he's been out there. Weiss has been deadweight for the last 5yrs.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That sounds like a good way to hurt your team's on-ice play. For all the crap Semin has gotten about his drop off in production, his team has generally been better on both sides of the puck when he's been out there. Weiss has been deadweight for the last 5yrs.

Semin is trash. No amount of cherry-picked stats is going to help your argument.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Semin is trash. No amount of cherry-picked stats is going to help your argument.

I was hoping maybe you could fashion a decent argument, find some "cherry-picked stats" of your own...but who needs fancy stats? We ought to just take your word for it :sarcasm:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

and vlasic is depth dman.

you have to cherry pick stats to not make semin look good. outside of last season. i'd like to hear why you think semin is trash.

if you could elaborate that earlier 'vlasic is depth dman', even better.

if semin is trash, vlasic is depth dman, then 70% of the red wings team is trash and all are depth players. except datsyuk for short stretches when he's healthy.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
you have to cherry pick stats to not make semin look good. outside of last season. i'd like to hear why you think semin is trash.

I think "trash" is overstating it a bit - assuming he doesn't repeat his numbers from this past season - but his goal scoring does seem to have dipped the past four years, he has a reputed compete level/effort problem, he's on the wrong side of thirty, and he carries a massive price tag for the next three years.

It stands out a bit that, by all appearances, he would seem to be a tailor made fit for all of our needs the past four years or so, and that we would seem to have an "in" with Datsyuk sharing various national teams with him. Yet we were never rumored to be chasing him at all when he's been available.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
If you're analyzing Semin on his merits alone, you're not going to find much to like about him considering his contract. He's being paid like a top-line winger, and he's not producing like one-- there's no way around that. But if you look at Carolina's top players, they've all underperformed the last couple seasons. Part of that is Rutherford's work (oversized contracts), part of that seems to be something cultural or managerial.

If you're looking at the situation as Semin or no Semin, it's clear you don't want the guy on that contract; there's usually only room for one big mulligan on contending teams. But I've been discussing it as Semin in relation to one of our own awful contracts, namely Weiss (I believe that was how the OP premised this topic). That's where things start to make sense, as we can only expect to be able to rid ourselves of Weiss in an exchange of bad contracts (even retaining salary on Weiss isn't likely to bring in a worthwhile asset, similarly buying him out probably won't result in anything good either-- what would Holland do with the additional cap space?)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think "trash" is overstating it a bit - assuming he doesn't repeat his numbers from this past season - but his goal scoring does seem to have dipped the past four years, he has a reputed compete level/effort problem, he's on the wrong side of thirty, and he carries a massive price tag for the next three years.

It stands out a bit that, by all appearances, he would seem to be a tailor made fit for all of our needs the past four years or so, and that we would seem to have an "in" with Datsyuk sharing various national teams with him. Yet we were never rumored to be chasing him at all when he's been available.

those are all real concerns. i wouldn't pay big assets to get him.

what is more concerning than drop in goal scoring (might be randomness or bad luck, is the huge decline in shot rate. he reportedly had wrist issues last year and shot the puck 30% less last year 5on5 (over 50% on the pp). his shot, especially wrister (was one of the best in the league a while ago) is one thing that made him an excellent player. if he doesn't have it anymore, he's not as big threat offensively.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
btw, we were rumored to have been interested in him a few years ago, but it's not clear whether there was much substance to those rumors. Friedman was feeding in to what was at the very least speculation, we were also tabbed here as being interested but there's no clear source behind it

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
I really hope it was a case of Wisniewsky not willing to play for Detroit that prevented Holland from being able to get in on what was essentially just a cap dump move between the Ducks and Canes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad