Taking a Moment to Enjoy the Journey!

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
With the dog days of summer in full swing, I was pondering my excitement for the rebuild (actually, just "build" if you ask Shanny). While the casual fan is mostly concerned with what the big club does on the ice – we on HF Boards – those who can name the Leafs scouts, nutritionists, and players on AHL contracts – are far more invested in the journey of building this team.

We know the product on the ice this year for the Leafs will not win a lot of games, but it will still be fun cheering for guys like Matthias and Arcobello to play well while speculating the return we'll get for them at the deadline. It will be fun seeing if Kadri steps up in his last shot to become part of the core, or if Bernier and JVR can return to form.

The most fun this year will likely be watching the Marlies, and all of our prospects for that matter as they develop in their respective leagues. How does Nylander do as a #1 Center for the Marlies? Does Kapanen step up beside him, and does Brown continue to prove the doubters wrong? Who steps forward on the Blue line to exceed expectations? Can Marner win the scoring title again? Can Timashov? Can Dzierkals shoot for the rookie-of-the-year in the Q?

And then there's the upcoming draft. With potentially multiple picks in almost every round, we may follow this draft class closer and longer than we ever have. How many more picks will we get? Who will potentially fall enough to garner a 'steal'?

With the start of the 2016/17 season – and for the next couple of seasons afterwards, we should start to see the outer shell of a core start to take shape. As kids like Nylander, Marner, Gauthier, Kapanen, and Brown begin to graduate, the on ice product will start to gradually improve. We'll begin aiming for a climb in the standings rather than a bottom 5 finish. Loaded with one of the league's top prospects pools (post 2016 draft), a wealth of assets, cap space to burn, and (finally) a respected organization that can potentially attract talent – will we have a shot a big name UFA? Will we be in a position to steal a top end RFA from a cap-strapped team?

Don't get me wrong – I am very excited at the prospect of my Leafs finally doing things right and becoming a perennial contender. I would project that we'll be fighting for a playoff spot in 2-3 years, with a steady progression up the standing from there. I can't wait to shut up my friends who have spent years making Leaf jokes at my expense. I don't know what I'd do if we won a cup – but it would involve days of intense celebration and multiple of bottles of good whiskey!
However – I, like I assume many on these boards, also LOVE the process of the build. I love having a lot of draft picks, picking at the top end of the draft, watching the tantalizing potential of our kids as they develop. I love the fact that on any day there could be a huge trade with another core player being shipped out.

I can't remember the last time I've been this excited to be a Leafs fan.

• We have what could potentially be one of the best and brightest management teams in the league.
  • We have a scouting department that is getting kudos and credit from media and other teams alike
  • We have a potentially top 10/12 prospect pool, with a shot at being top 5 a year from now.

It's like Christmas morning with the presents wrapped and overflowing out the bottom of the tree – that anticipation and excitement of colorfully wrapped boxes and your imagination spinning with the possibilities of what those boxes could contain.

Soon enough, those presents will be unwrapped, and we'll know what we have. That excited anticipation will be over, even though we'll still have the fun and joy of a potentially great team.

I just thought that during these slower days, it might be worth taking a moment to appreciate the fun and exciting journey we're embarking on. Things will change on these boards soon enough, as the picks get later, the trades are fewer and further between, and the Leafs are playing hockey longer each year. We'll eventually move from topics around how well or where to develop our prospects, excitement of who to can be part of the future core, and move into things like what is that last piece of the puzzle we need.

What are some of the things during this journey that you are most excited about? As much as we all want to win – being honest – what part of excitement during the building process do you think you'll miss the most?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Making a couple of bold predictions:

1. Leafs will make the play-off's
- lots of 1 year deals
- replace kessels minutes with defensive players
- mike babcock head coach

2. Marner plays season in NHL
- electric skill
- too advanced for Junior

As for what im excited for. Pumped that the leafs are drafting "skill". Next season we will get to follow Marner, Dermott, Korstelev, in the O. Will also get to follow arguable to most talented player heading to college in Bracco.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What will I miss the most, what am I most excited about?

For me right now, it's the anticipation of what our shiny new toys will be like. Marner and Nylander the most, but also all our other prospects - will one of them turn out to be a top pairing d-man for example? These are exciting things to think about.

I also look forward to the day when my friends who aren't Leaf fans won't be making fun of our team any more. That's been a long time coming.

I'll no doubt be drinking whiskey when we win the cup as well! :thumbu:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What will I miss the most, what am I most excited about?

For me right now, it's the anticipation of what our shiny new toys will be like. Marner and Nylander the most, but also all our other prospects - will one of them turn out to be a top pairing d-man for example? These are exciting things to think about.

I also look forward to the day when my friends who aren't Leaf fans won't be making fun of our team any more. That's been a long time coming.

I'll no doubt be drinking whiskey when we win the cup as well! :thumbu:

:laugh: we're Leafs fans dear. they'll always make fun of our team. :) eat it with a spoon ;)

I am just excited how everything works out. I believe it will.
we're trending up :)

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Even though it's probably a few years down the road, I cant wait for the leafs to no longer be the punch line to hockey jokes. Can't wait to have a team we can brag about/be proud of. I can't wait to look every other fan base in the eye and say: Suck it bit ches, we're the champs!

...sorry got a little carried away there

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Can't wait to see Nylander and Marner put up stupidly good numbers in their respective leagues this year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Looking forward most to the next edition of the World Cup of Hockey. Been far too long since I've seen good hockey played at the ACC.

LeafsFIO*

I'm very excited. I just pray we don't make any picks that leave us face palming afterwards. I know Pittsburgh has their cup but imagine if they hadn't taken Fleury and Staal. They could've had a top six of ?-Crosby-Perry, Malkin-Toews-?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'm very excited. I just pray we don't make any picks that leave us face palming afterwards. I know Pittsburgh has their cup but imagine if they hadn't taken Fleury and Staal. They could've had a top six of ?-Crosby-Perry, Malkin-Toews-?

Perry was drafted 28th overall.
Millions of teams passed on him. If anything you should say Eric Staal who was selected 1 pick after Fleury.

They could have essentially had.

Crosby, Malkin, E Staal, Toews.

But thats a different universe. If they selected Staal instead of Fleury, who knows if they would have finished as bad in the standings as they did in the future.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have been waiting for a full draft rebuild for the past 3 decades in Toronto where we will finally focus on drafting and developing and building a team from the ground up and the majority of the team being comprised of that process.

We as fans can now look forward to the entry draft and also follow the progress of those youngsters selected as they make their way up the ranks and eventually on to the Leafs.

This is an exciting time for Leaf Nation were hopefully patience will pay off in future Leafs success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad