Take that Ole chant! Habs win 3-2

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
You're one of my favourite posters, but this was not well thought out.

The ice-time over the last 4:10 was;

Plekanec: 2:19
Parenteau: 1:41
Galchenyuk: 1:39
Eller: 1:36
Prust: 1:27
Bourque: 1:25
Moen: 0:45
Pacioretty: 0:45
Malhotra: 0:21
Gallagher: 0:21
Desharnais: 0:11
Sekac: 0:00

What was Therrien supposed to do for those few seconds? Leave Plekanec out there for the last 4 minutes entirely? He had a 1 1/2 minute shift and had only been off the ice for about 1 minute. Eller's line just got off the ice after a 75 second shift.

I really see no need to complain about this. Unless we just leave Plekanec out there for the entire 4-minutes, that sounds good.

Quite literally one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.

Cheering for your team not to score in a 1-goal game? Makes sense.

shhhhhhh
Read the HFB rules.
If Plekanec and Galchenyuk have a good game you must bash Therrien and DD for any ice time he gets.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
PAP and Plekanec are the perfect linemmates for Chucky. Neither of the former two players like to hold on to the puck, while Chucky does. Galchenyuk is at his best when he's controlling the play and dishing the puck. Both Plekanec and PAP constantly are giving Galchenyuk the puck and he's doing his thing with it. PAP is having a blast waiting in the slot for Chucky's feeds (Plekanec's too). Galchenyuk is obviously loving the fact that he's seeing the puck more often than he ever has in the past.

This line needs to be the first wave on the PP. They are much more dynamic than DD, Pacioretty and Gallagher.

The DD line has been slightly better on the PP lately but I still dislike him and Gallagher on the first wave. Galchenyuk should be there.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You're one of my favourite posters, but this was not well thought out.

The ice-time over the last 4:10 was;

Plekanec: 2:19
Parenteau: 1:41
Galchenyuk: 1:39
Eller: 1:36
Prust: 1:27
Bourque: 1:25
Moen: 0:45
Pacioretty: 0:45
Malhotra: 0:21
Gallagher: 0:21
Desharnais: 0:11
Sekac: 0:00

What was Therrien supposed to do for those few seconds? Leave Plekanec out there for the last 4 minutes entirely? He had a 1 1/2 minute shift and had only been off the ice for about 1 minute. Eller's line just got off the ice after a 75 second shift.

I really see no need to complain about this. Unless we just leave Plekanec out there for the entire 4-minutes, that sounds good.

Quite literally one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.

Cheering for your team not to score in a 1-goal game? Makes sense.

Yeah, let's leave our defensive players out there forever, so we get scored on when they can't move anymore! It was a short breather for Eller/Plekanec lines, preparing for the last hurrah from Colorado. Pacioretty overstayed his shift, but when doesn't he?

Seeing them at all was a shock to my system. :nod:
You are right Davey jumped right off the ice.
I could have sworn they got the start but now i realize the goalie was pulled as they were out there.
Max did overstay his welcome

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
shhhhhhh
Read the HFB rules.
If Plekanec and Galchenyuk have a good game you must bash Therrien and DD for any ice time he gets.

:laugh: This. And now Patches which is absurd! He is the third most valuable player on this team and is getting bashed. Has there even been a goal scored against the habs while he's been on the ice?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Because they are. They are the go to offensive line at ES and on the PP. 90% of the time they are the first wave on the PP. When the Habs force an o-zone FO, they get it 90% of the time unless they had just previously been on the ice.

The go to offensive line is the first line. It's hilarious that this has actually become a thing now, where people need to deflect from the fact that they are MT's go to line. He leans on them when he needs a goal all the time.

I get why you don't want to call it the first line, doing so changes what we expect from DD-Pacioretty and Gallagher in terms of production, so that when they exceed those expectations you can say, "well look at how well they produce for a second line". They are the first offensive threat MT employs. He does it quite consistently and has done it quite consistently for the better part of two years now.

Outside the Eller giveaway in game 1, I don't recall any goal against that was the 3rd line's fault. Again, yesterday Subban made a bad pinch that led to a 2 on 1. How is this the line's fault? Sekac was even in the process of going to cover point, but Subban made the error before Sekac could even up the rush. On the second minus, they once again stepped on the ice while the play was in progress.

My guess is that MT keeps employing them despite the minuses because he knows that they are not the lines fault. We all know how much of a hardass MT can be when it comes to errors. The fact that he hasn't punished either of the three players suggests that he very well knows that the minuses are matter of ill-timing as opposed to anything egregious in their play.

The +/- is the most misleading stat and carefully analyzing the 3rd line's minuses exemplifies that.

Goal 1 of yesterday. Sekac rings it around the boards for Subban. Two Avs players are close to the puck, Subban pinches anyway. Avs win the board battle, they spring it to a forward which leads to a 2 on 1.

Goal 2: Puck is deep behind the avs net, Galchenyuk, PAP and Plekanec are on the ice. The Avs defender gains control of the puck, the three habs go for a line change. As Iginla received the pass from Duchene just at the defensive blueline, Eller's line comes on the ice, they take enough strides to get passed the blue line, and Duchene tips Iginla's shot. The goal is actually Gilbert's fault as he failed to tie up Duchene who was streaking right between him and Emelin, this allowed him to get some space for a deflection. If you really want to be nitpicky, you can even fault PAP who put 0 pressure on Duchene in his own end and just skated lazily towards the bench. Duchene was able as a result to pick up speed him d-zone and go right between Emelin and Gilbert for a tip.

How are any one these the result of bad defensive ability by Eller's line?
I had an entire post written out, but I missed your line telling me what I think. So there's no point in replying if you're just going to put words in my mouth.

Good day, sir.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
My response to #1: Buy a TV, hippies!

But yeah, agreed. Must suck though, being 1-2 minutes behind. As you're posting "THIS IS INSANE!" you see posts above you reading "All we do is win!" :laugh:
I had to watch the Tampa game on Gamecenter... wasn't a big deal because we got killed. But I saw 2-3 goals in here before I saw them on the stream. :laugh:

I could just imagine the buzzkill during the Flyers game, lol.

I have a TV, but I got Gamecenter for when I move because it's just so much cheaper than cable or satellite. WWE Network + Netflix + Gamecenter = approx $325 per year, and I can stream the Raptors and Blue Jays without caring too much about quality. Satellite would cost closer to $1000 per year. :laugh: And I go to my dad's to watch The Walking Dead every Sunday (except PPV Sunday's) so, I'm good there! lol.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Here's what I'm happy about: We FINALLY have another scoring line. The DD line produces like it or not, but their production and true effectiveness is hindered by a matchup focus.

Pacioretty might not be the first target for oppoments if Galchy can keep it up. I'm not too worried about Max, he'll get on a streak and put up numbers. His real weakness is his goals come playoff time can be few and far between. Now that he doesn't have as much pressure to be the only goal scorer, maybe he'll be able to produce more regularly against weaker defenders

we've come a looooooooooong way since 2012

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I've seen enough good Habs starts that never materialized into much so I don't get too high or low early in the season. I enjoy the wins for sure and last night they looked a little more solid.

However, this is starting to remind me of the smoke and mirrors good start of 08-09, the results don't reflect the on ice performance. Hopefully they clamp down and capitalize on this good start and stay ahead of the pack.
The difference being that this is actually a pretty horrible start for the team, but they're still winning. That's something that great teams do.. find ways to win when you're playing poorly.

Last night was not an example of this as we played pretty good, but the previous batch of games were.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Here's what I'm happy about: We FINALLY have another scoring line. The DD line produces like it or not, but their production and true effectiveness is hindered by a matchup focus.

Pacioretty might not be the first target for oppoments if Galchy can keep it up. I'm not too worried about Max, he'll get on a streak and put up numbers. His real weakness is his goals come playoff time can be few and far between. Now that he doesn't have as much pressure to be the only goal scorer, maybe he'll be able to produce more regularly against weaker defenders

we've come a looooooooooong way since 2012
If Galchy and Pleky and PAP keep it up, our other scoring line (to please Andy) will be even more dangerous than before. Teams won't be targeting them. They'll likely get a little more room too which should help DD's ridiculous pass to Pacioretty no matter what mentality.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If Galchy and Pleky and PAP keep it up, our other scoring line (to please Andy) will be even more dangerous than before. Teams won't be targeting them. They'll likely get a little more room too which should help DD's ridiculous pass to Pacioretty no matter what mentality.

Exactly what I mean! Also its great that each line attacks in a different style, which makes strategy a bit harder (Actually our current 3rd line is pretty different too)

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
It's a nice change to see the Habs beating the teams that they're actually supposed to beat. For the most part, they're not sinking down to the level of lesser opponents.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Don't worry. It's only 6 games and the habs are 5-1-0.

optimism.jpeg

ee70fcd0f0f3a361ccd88a9376a9ccb11e74fa969c8a5128820641cd063689b2.jpg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
:laugh: This. And now Patches which is absurd! He is the third most valuable player on this team and is getting bashed. Has there even been a goal scored against the habs while he's been on the ice?

Max is our third most valuable player.
Which is an excellent reason why he needs to stop using laziness as a pretense for intellect.:sarcasm:
Which some folks would clearly have us believe is happening out there.?

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
PK knows what's up:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

#Habs Subban on Galchenyuk: "It's going to be scary how good he's going to be once he gets a couple more years under his belt"

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
PK knows what's up:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

#Habs Subban on Galchenyuk: "It's going to be scary how good he's going to be once he gets a couple more years under his belt"
He's definitely right.

Yet when he talks about how good Desharnais is, he's just being a good teammate or doesn't know what he's talking about. :laugh:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Exactly what I mean! Also its great that each line attacks in a different style, which makes strategy a bit harder (Actually our current 3rd line is pretty different too)
Our third line is great at controlling the puck.

Here's the things I want each line to fix;

Pleks: A little soft. Would be nice if they could dig in the corners a bit, but it's working right now.

DD: Too dependent on Pacioretty shooting. Pacioretty needs to take a lot of the shots, but Gallagher and DD need to keep the opposition guessing. Work ethic for Pacioretty is questionable too.

Eller: Loving the strong forecheck and how much each player battles for the pucks. They need to focus a little less on the cycle (even though it's great being so different from the other lines) and get a few more quality shots on net. I think the issue is that they just don't know each other enough, so they elect to continue cycling rather than making that pass. Oh, and I think Bourque needs to get glasses so he can keep the puck on his stick. :laugh:

You can even add the 4th line;

Malhotra: Great 4th line, would be even better with Bournival instead of Prust. Moen is actually much more defensively sound and smarter than Prust with the puck, even if he's not as flashy or charismatic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's definitely right.

Yet when he talks about how good Desharnais is, he's just being a good teammate or doesn't know what he's talking about. :laugh:

I know you like to defend DD, and he's a pretty decent player, but he has no business centering your 39 goal scorer. It's Pejorative Slured. He's a freaking 50pt player for god's sakes. Can we stop this nonsense?? People have every right to want an improvement over DD for that specific role.
People criticized Koivu, Ribeiro, Plekanec all for not being real #1 centers. They are/were all better than DD, and agreed or not with the way some went about their criticism, everybody agreed that we needed more talent for our #1 center. For some reason though, to some people, DD must be defended no matter what. It's ridiculous.¸

Ya, maybe some people hate on DD a little too much, but the reason why they do it (improve our go-to center) is very valid.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Malhotra: Great 4th line, would be even better with Bournival instead of Prust. Moen is actually much more defensively sound and smarter than Prust with the puck, even if he's not as flashy or charismatic.

But can he fight?

And for once this sentence is not said as a joke.

Prust does bring that aspect to the game that I don't think Moen should be doing anymore.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
He's definitely right.

Galchenyuk just looks so confident and assertive out there, like a kid realizing that he actually is more talented than most of the players on the ice. I bet this is how he looked in the juniors.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I know you like to defend DD, and he's a pretty decent player, but he has no business centering your 39 goal scorer. It's Pejorative Slured. He's a freaking 50pt player for god's sakes. Can we stop this nonsense?? People have every right to want an improvement over DD for that specific role.
People criticized Koivu, Ribeiro, Plekanec all for not being real #1 centers. They are/were all better than DD, and agreed or not with the way some went about their criticism, everybody agreed that we needed more talent for our #1 center. For some reason though, to some people, DD must be defended no matter what. It's ridiculous.¸

Ya, maybe some people hate on DD a little too much, but the reason why they do it (improve our go-to center) is very valid.
Maybe because most of the hate is ridiculous? Maybe because he gets shot taken at him all game long? Maybe because it's a joke?

I have no problem wanting to upgrade any position and/or the team. If trading Desharnais helps the team? Yes please. If trading Galchenyuk helps the team? Yes please. If trading Subban helps the team? Yes please.

But right now, the guy is a Montreal Canadien. He wears the colours proudly, he loves playing for the team, he works his ass off almost every shift, and he's a pretty solid good player for his price range. Is he an elite #1 center? No. Is he a useful player? Damn right he can be.

I'd like to improve lots of places on the team, but I don't sit here bashing a playing a non-stop.

I didn't like Bouillon, and I got on his case - but not to the extent some people did. Same thing with Spacek. It just makes no sense.

I'd love to upgrade Pacioretty in a power forward who can score and give a consistent effort every night. Probably not going to happen overnight, so why sit here and hate on Pacioretty because he's not exactly what I want?

Hate on the management for not finding the moves? Sure. Hate on Therrien for playing him in a role he's probably not best suited for? Sure. Hating on the player who works his ass off for the CH is ridiculous.

Didn't say he was the greatest player ever, but he is in fact underrated like Subban said. Of course, TVA and RDS overrates him, but whatever - I don't listen to that crap, so that's as much as I know on the subject.

Galchenyuk just looks so confident and assertive out there, like a kid realizing that he actually is more talented than most of the players on the ice. I bet this is how he looked in the juniors.
He looked even better in juniors. He knew he was the most talented and it showed. Surprisingly, unlike a lot of players, his effort level didn't suffer even when he knew he was that much better.

But can he fight?

And for once this sentence is not said as a joke.

Prust does bring that aspect to the game that I don't think Moen should be doing anymore.
I like seeing a good hockey tilt for entertainment value, but I could care less if we have a guys that can go on the 4th line.

I want to win hockey games, not fights.

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario

Perfect description of his play this year. We knew he had the tools, but he was still a boy among men before this year. Now, you can see he's comfortable at the NHL level, willing to make the extra move or hold onto the puck a little longer to make a play.
Next step is for him to find a consistent scoring touch and he'll be scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad