OT: Tailgate music

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I do not tailgate. But Coldplay.

GO AHEAD, SAY SOMETHING.

First of all, I don't really get the massive amounts of love Coldplay gets. Yeah, Chris Martin has a pleasing voice. But nothing about their musicianship otherwise is really anything special. I'm not saying that you're wrong for liking Coldplay...I just don't see the appeal.

But either way...I just can't see somebody listening to Coldplay at a tailgate.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
I know full well nobody would pick Coldplay for a tailgate... except me! I'd have the most poppin tailgate obvs.

But I am sad that you do not like Coldplay. Lots of people don't, unfortunately. :(

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
First of all, I don't really get the massive amounts of love Coldplay gets. Yeah, Chris Martin has a pleasing voice. But nothing about their musicianship otherwise is really anything special. I'm not saying that you're wrong for liking Coldplay...I just don't see the appeal.

Coldplay is the legitimate heir to the power pop throne. Great voice, great writing, great hooks. But hey, it's cool to hate, so.

But either way...I just can't see somebody listening to Coldplay at a tailgate.

No.

--hank

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I know full well nobody would pick Coldplay for a tailgate... except me! I'd have the most poppin tailgate obvs.

But I am sad that you do not like Coldplay. Lots of people don't, unfortunately. :(

It's not necessarily that I "do not like" Coldplay. I just wouldn't go out of my way to work in a Coldplay song or two among other musical choices. I'll still listen to whatever songs of theirs come on the radio, although I do change the station half the time whenever "Magic" plays about 30 times a day.

Then again, my musical tastes are different than yours, and I can't really fault you for your own opinions. I'm more of a modern rock/alternative guy, with some acceptance towards various metal and certain classic rock groups. I used to listen to 100.3 back before it changed (both station and music type) to 105.7, but now I keep it on 95.3 with the occasional switch to 100.7 or 96.1.

Honestly, I'm a guy that gets kinda locked in on a certain thing. I listened to Cage the Elephant all day one day...literally playing Melophobia thrice, Cage the Elephant (the album) twice, and Thank You, Happy Birthday once. There were a couple days where I went through three or four Chevelle albums back to back while studying for exams. Every once in a while I'll get on a Rush kick, or feel like listening to blink-182. But it's pretty crazy, almost obsessive -- I listen to what I feel like listening to, and kinda binge on it a bit. I'll go through whatever it is I'm in the mood for, and absolutely nothing else. Almost like when I get on Netflix and go through entire seasons of a TV show in a day without interruption (thanks, Weeds...although I did a season and a half in one day with you).

I certainly prefer Coldplay to country music though, so at least there's that. :laugh:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
DON'T CALL THEM POWER POP :cry:

WTF is the matter with you? They ARE power pop! Like Big Star and Todd Rundgren and Badfinger and Teenage Fanclub and Oasis and Band of Horses and the ****ing BEATLES.

Power pop is awesome. If you love Coldplay and don't love Power Pop, then I don't know where the hell your mind is, son.

--hank

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
I heard "power pop" and thought of all the teenybopper stuff that comes on the radio... I didn't think those bands fit that genre. Is it obvious I'm not a music guy? :laugh:

although I do change the station half the time whenever "Magic" plays about 30 times a day.
Magic was the best song from their new album thoughhhhhh :(

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
WTF is the matter with you? They ARE power pop! Like Big Star and Todd Rundgren and Badfinger and Teenage Fanclub and Oasis and Band of Horses and the ****ing BEATLES.

Power pop is awesome. If you love Coldplay and don't love Power Pop, then I don't know where the hell your mind is, son.

--hank

I'm not too big on any of the above, although I don't think anybody really hates Wonderwall. That and Champagne Supernova...those are legit.

I heard "power pop" and thought of all the teenybopper stuff that comes on the radio... I didn't think those bands fit that genre. Is it obvious I'm not a music guy? :laugh:

Magic was the best song from their new album thoughhhhhh:(

Which is why it was the lead single. Again, I'm not saying I hate the song, but it just wears on me if it's likely that I hear it both on the 15 minute drive to and from work. Same thing with Lorde songs (although I truly do despise Lorde).

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
This is why I don't usually talk music with ten-year-olds. :rolleyes: :laugh:

--hank

Uhh...shots fired? Am I not allowed to like two of the most popular songs from Oasis, despite not really caring for their musical style overall?

I will tell you this: Coldplay is amazing live. That much cannot be debated.

Fair enough. I can't comment on that, as I've never been. I HAVE, however, always wanted to attend a Muse concert. That, and a Foo Fighters concert.

Seeing certain things live certainly are more intriguing than hearing them in studio. For instance, seeing Apocalyptica at Rock on the Range back several years ago was fascinating. Actually seeing them perform their music on their cellos rather than just hearing it brought a new perspective.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Uhh...shots fired? Am I not allowed to like two of the most popular songs from Oasis, despite not really caring for their musical style overall?

No. Those songs are great. It was more the "not really caring for those other bands," like, y'know, the Beatles, that I was remarking on.

--hank

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
No. Those songs are great. It was more the "not really caring for those other bands," like, y'know, the Beatles, that I was remarking on.

--hank

So it's a "problem" that the Beatles aren't really my thing? I've just never really had any inclination towards becoming a fan of their music, despite plenty of opportunity to do so. Nothing against them, of course.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
So it's a "problem" that the Beatles aren't really my thing? I've just never really had any inclination towards becoming a fan of their music, despite plenty of opportunity to do so. Nothing against them, of course.

No, it's not a problem. Not at all. My point was something else entirely.

I grew up in a time when it simply wasn't an option to not have a serious opinion on the Beatles. You loved them, or you hated them and loved the Stones, or you loved their early work but hated their later work, or you loved their later work but hated their early work, or you loved John's stuff but not Paul's stuff, or you loved George's stuff up until he went to India, etc., etc.

"I've just never had any inclination towards becoming a fan of their music" is something that you can only say if you're significantly younger than I am.

In short: I am ****ing old.

--hank

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
No, it's not a problem. Not at all. My point was something else entirely.

I grew up in a time when it simply wasn't an option to not have a serious opinion on the Beatles. You loved them, or you hated them and loved the Stones, or you loved their early work but hated their later work, or you loved their later work but hated their early work, or you loved John's stuff but not Paul's stuff, or you loved George's stuff up until he went to India, etc., etc.

"I've just never had any inclination towards becoming a fan of their music" is something that you can only say if you're significantly younger than I am.

In short: I am ****ing old.

--hank

Oh, I gotcha. Sorry for the playful hostility in that case, then. I just turned 21, though I have had several friends who were/are Beatles diehards. I'm just not one of them. Since you referenced the Stones too...I also like only a few of their songs. I guess it's easier to do that when their albums aren't being released in the same decade as when you're listening to them. I'd probably have more of an opinion had I been this age back when they were in their prime.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Oh, I gotcha. Sorry for the playful hostility in that case, then. I just turned 21, though I have had several friends who were/are Beatles diehards. I'm just not one of them. Since you referenced the Stones too...I also like only a few of their songs. I guess it's easier to do that when their albums aren't being released in the same decade as when you're listening to them. I'd probably have more of an opinion had I been this age back when they were in their prime.

I was in my music-listening prime in the late '80s and early '90s, so not exactly their prime -- but the Beatles still had a huge reach even then, two decades after they split up; radio stations still did "all Beatles weekends" and so on. Crazy to think that Hard Day's Night, the movie, is 50 years old this month. Half a freaking century.

The more I listen to the Beatles, the more it feels like they basically invented pop music. Just blows my mind.

--hank

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I enjoy tailgating to the musical stylings of such classic bands as: Dimmu Borgir, Marduk, Behemoth, Immortal, Emperor, Deicide, Arch Enemy, Enslaved, Gorgoroth, Bathory, Rotting Christ & of course, Finntroll.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So as another 21 year old here...
Then again, my musical tastes are different than yours, and I can't really fault you for your own opinions. I'm more of a modern rock/alternative guy, with some acceptance towards various metal and certain classic rock groups. I used to listen to 100.3 back before it changed (both station and music type) to 105.7, but now I keep it on 95.3 with the occasional switch to 100.7 or 96.1.

100.7 is my jam.

I certainly prefer Coldplay to country music though, so at least there's that. :laugh:

I don't mind country, although I'm kinda fickle with which country I like.

I'm not too big on any of the above, although I don't think anybody really hates Wonderwall. That and Champagne Supernova...those are legit.

I like Oasis, and those two are aight, but it's all about "Don't look back in anger" ...I heard you say...

Which is why it was the lead single. Again, I'm not saying I hate the song, but it just wears on me if it's likely that I hear it both on the 15 minute drive to and from work. Same thing with Lorde songs (although I truly do despise Lorde).

I'm like that with certain pop music, I don't really like or dislike them, pretty much indifferent. Lorde is a good example, I can totally see how she is annoying, but also catchy at the same time, so I don't really care if it's playing or not...my suitemates last year, however, could not stand Lorde, so I had a lot of fun whenever I was driving people places and she came on the radio (Rush Hour rules). ...that applies to white man's radio, too, right?

Oh, and back to the tailgating: set Pandora to Led Zeppelin radio.

--hank

This.

Also, I'm a weird 21 year old because Billy Joel is my all-time favorite musical artist...really gets me jazzed.

And Coldplay is...alright. I like Fix you.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I enjoyed Coldplay's first two albums. Can't say I own anything else or that I'd even listen to Coldplay while tailgating. Gotta say that getting my hands on The White Album from the Beatles was life changing. I can only say that about a handful of albums. If you're into the whole rock/alternative thing set your Pandora station to Tame Impala for some good tunes. In fact, just buy all of their music. Actually do people still buy music? Or has spotify/Pandora/illegally downloading taken over?

EDIT: Don't know how many people know this but if you use google chrome with a certain advertisement preventer whilst using Pandora you won't get any commercials.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad