• Tage Thompson

Votes: 55 28.4%
  • Jason Robertson

Votes: 139 71.6%

• Total voters

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think these are the NHL’s two “unexpected superstars”. Probably both top 10 players in the league right now. Robertson is a year and a half younger, but they both look to be entering their primes and dominating. Which player would you rather build with?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I like Thompson’s game, but I’m always wary of big players who break out late. He’s finally figured out how to use his size and skill to overwhelm the opponent, but will he be able to adjust when he’s not in his physical prime? Robertson’s IQ is off the charts, he’s younger and he’s been a top line player since he entered the league. Regardless of who you think is better now, I’m more confident in Robertson being good for longer.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Now THIS is a good poll as a Sabres fan. Robertson is one of my top 5 favorites outside the organization. I’d probably have to stick with what we’ve got given Tage is a 6’7 unicorn but it’s a coin toss.

I like Thompson’s game, but I’m always wary of big players who break out late. He’s finally figured out how to use his size and skill to overwhelm the opponent, but will he be able to adjust when he’s not in his physical prime? Robertson’s IQ is off the charts, he’s younger and he’s been a top line player since he entered the league. Regardless of who you think is better now, I’m more confident in Robertson being good for longer.
What makes you wary of big players who break out late? How often do big players even break out early? Byfield is probably the obvious recent comparison here, and it’s looking like he’s gonna need to take his time as well to grow into his body and learn how to be successful in the big league.

Chara played until he was a senior citizen because he still had the mentality and reach which far outlived his jets.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Now THIS is a good poll as a Sabres fan. Robertson is one of my top 5 favorites outside the organization. I’d probably have to stick with what we’ve got given Tage is a 6’7 unicorn but it’s a coin toss.

What makes you wary of big players who break out late? How often do big players even break out early? Byfield is probably the obvious recent comparison here, and it’s looking like he’s gonna need to take his time as well to grow into his body and learn how to be successful in the big league.

Chara played until he was a senior citizen because he still had the mentality and reach which far outlived his jets.

Chara is a bit different as a defenseman because size and reach are more important defensively. Big forwards typically don’t age as well, regardless of when they break out, because there seems to be more wear and tear on their bodies. The exception tends to be more big players who can continue to use their size and reach to their advantage to protect the puck and make plays, like a Jagr or a Thornton. These players typically are capable of slowing the game down though and using their hockey sense as an advantage.

When big forwards like Thompson break out late, and especially with a huge jump like this, the sense of “growing into their bodies” suggests that being able to use their physical abilities at a high level is a big part of their success, and why they take longer tends to be because they were used to always being bigger and stronger when they were in lesser leagues and they took awhile to adapt. But if they can’t adapt quickly in order to be a useful player when they’re younger, I question how well they can adapt as they get older and move out of their physical peak.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Chara is a bit different as a defenseman because size and reach are more important defensively. Big forwards typically don’t age as well, regardless of when they break out, because there seems to be more wear and tear on their bodies. The exception tends to be more big players who can continue to use their size and reach to their advantage to protect the puck and make plays, like a Jagr or a Thornton. These players typically are capable of slowing the game down though and using their hockey sense as an advantage.

When big forwards like Thompson break out late, and especially with a huge jump like this, the sense of “growing into their bodies” suggests that being able to use their physical abilities at a high level is a big part of their success, and why they take longer tends to be because they were used to always being bigger and stronger when they were in lesser leagues and they took awhile to adapt. But if they can’t adapt quickly in order to be a useful player when they’re younger, I question how well they can adapt as they get older and move out of their physical peak.
Fair, I would just say that for Thompson I think a large part of it is his move to center and someone drilled it in his head to stop those dumb toe drags every 9/10 chances he gets. The center ice really gives him the space he needs to capitalize his arm span for maximum efficiency.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I went with Thompson, because he's our daddy until we kick Buffalo's ass next time
He's a special player and would trade a whole lot to get him

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Until proven otherwise I'll take the guy who is a year and a half younger and is currently producing more than the other guy for the third straight year.

One guy has 155 points in 148 games and the other guy has 129 points in 242 games.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Until proven otherwise I'll take the guy who is a year and a half younger and is currently producing more than the other guy for the third straight year.

One guy has 155 points in 148 games and the other guy has 129 points in 242 games.
Or you could say one guy has 108 points in the last 93 games and one has 94 points in his 97. Point is, the question wasn't who would you rather haveon your team the past three years, it's who would you rather have now. And now they are very close in point production.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

This leaves out that much of Tage's early struggles were do to managerial/coaching incompetence like Botts essentially forcing him onto the Sabres roster to justify the ROR trade when he clearly should've been developing in Rochester (and we aren't even going to get into Wretched Ralph's Reign of Terror).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

There is a bit of justified wariness with some "types" of big players, and how they'll fare later into their careers. But those tend to be more the "physical" sort of big players. The guys who play a more physically violent game. For someone like Thompson, he's not really a "physical" player. He's just all about using that reach and sort of leaning on guys to protect the puck. And realistically...those types of players tend to have some of the best longevity of anyone...because they're not as dependent on dynamic, explosive traits. They can play a slower game as they get older and just keep the puck out of reach with their size.

I'll take the center

Yeah. If it's close like this...i take the Center, every time.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I don’t think you’ve actually watched Thompson.. the guy doesn’t physically overwhelm anyone, except for his absurd reach with his stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad