Prospect Info: Tage Thompson (2016 Draft - 26 Overall)

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Based on what I've read, looks like a 20-20 player, can kill penalties and be net front on the powerplay. Looks like he will be an NHL player, hopefully the pans out into 25-25, but not putting my bread in that basket.
Maybe a Backes replacement? Big boy, strong battler, strong defense and great in front of the net with a good shot and one-timer?
I have some hope but not extremely high.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Hmm seems like decent value for a 26th overall pick, like the fact that he's a big center that's good defensively and has some skill. I wonder what his hockey sense is like.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He's not a guy I was blown away by, but I trust Bill Armstrong.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Hmm seems like decent value for a 26th overall pick, like the fact that he's a big center that's good defensively and has some skill. I wonder what his hockey sense is like.

Most of the reports I've seen on him project him more as a RW in the NHL. Doesn't have the possession or passing skills to stick at center, though his possession game should improve as he gains muscle.

Still; a huge, PF type RW with a wicked wrist shot and a garbage collector's mentality in front of the net is a very solid pick for the end of the first.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Bill said he was the last guy on the board with a 1st round grade.

Why on Earth would he say that publicly? I can't be living in real life right now. How many dumb quotes by our executives are we going to have to suffer through tonight?

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
Out of the guys left on the board I had 3 I liked Tage, Asplund, and Laberge. Hoping one of the last two fall to us at 35 now.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
I tried not to post about the draft until the whole draft was finished, but just too irritated.

To me the Thompson pick is horrible. Spoke to a lot of friends that have actually seen him play at UCONN and they all commented he's slow and anything but physical. The most alarming thing about him is most of his scoring was done on the power play, not 5 on 5. At best he's a 3rd line defensive forward. Totally raw project that will take at least 3 more college years and then there is the risk to sign him.

The selection is bad enough, but to move up to get him using up a third round pick is crazy. In a league where the trend is speed/skill the Blues select Thompson. Wow.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Congrats! You guys just got a dark horse, with a huge ceiling.
I expect him to keep developing for many years, too. Good work ethic.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Why on Earth would he say that publicly? I can't be living in real life right now. How many dumb quotes by our executives are we going to have to suffer through tonight?

Before the draft, I was complaining about how we usually get spin and not the truth of what happened. I think we are getting a little too much truth tonight.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I tried not to post about the draft until the whole draft was finished, but just too irritated.

To me the Thompson pick is horrible. Spoke to a lot of friends that have actually seen him play at UCONN and they all commented he's slow and anything but physical. The most alarming thing about him is most of his scoring was done on the power play, not 5 on 5. At best he's a 3rd line defensive forward. Totally raw project that will take at least 3 more college years and then there is the risk to sign him.

The selection is bad enough, but to move up to get him using up a third round pick is crazy. In a league where the trend is speed/skill the Blues select Thompson. Wow.
It screams "Old NHL" to me, which really makes me question what our leadership thinks it takes to win in today's NHL (not that I wasn't already doing that). I agree that he looks like a guy with a bottom 6 ceiling to me.

There's probably close to 30 guys I would have rather have seen the Blues draft instead. I have no idea how the Blues had a 1st round grade on him. His only notable asset besides his size is his shot, and even that's limited in the sense that he can't create his own. Trash cleanup is nice, as is the ability to one-time a puck, but top 6 guys simply need to bring more to the table than that.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
He's got a good shot but not sure there's much else in his tool box.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
Is there any way we drafted this kid to become a defensemen? I'm just not seeing an NFL forward here. Kid looks to have a good shot and the size to become D-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad