Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Let's not go throwing the word entitled around. It's just as possible Tage was trying to convey that he sees more opportunity in Buffalo -- a team that our very board regularly concedes has a horrible outlook as far as NHL wings are concerned -- than he did in STL, which has a lot of quality forward prospects to go along with NHL talent with term.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Ceiling probably above asplund by I think its a long shot that he reaches it.

Seems like the same kind of Grigorenko/Armia/Nylander prosepct.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm hoping this is sarcasm. Let's not run away with a potentially misconstrued message from a 20 year old prospect we barely know.

I'm still upset about this trade too, but I'm also still a Sabres fan, and still want them to win. What's next for the team (and this board) is to figure out how that's done.
Then he shouldn't be demanding a top 6 role openly saying Botterill told him like hes rubbing it in the faces of every hard working kid here before him or Hamilton has trouble properly wording tweets and he should watch himself before he causes damage.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Then he shouldn't be demanding a top 6 role openly saying Botterill told him like hes rubbing it in the faces of every hard working kid here before him or Hamilton has trouble properly wording tweets and he should watch himself before he causes damage.

"Demanding"
"Rubbing it in"

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yes time to hate the kid :scared:

:eyeroll:
I don't hate the kid but hes gonna put a target on his back if he is GIFTED a top 6 spot without earning it.

In that tweet from Hamilton it sounds like hes all but guaranteed a shot at top 6 for coming to Buffalo. He should probably use the words "Botterill said I would have a shot at a top 6 spot coming into camp" which every kid should have.

9 points in 41 NHL games doesn't scream I deserve a top 6 spot in the NHL.

It screams you need more development.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
When the hell did he say this stuff?

Reactions: jc17

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Let's not go throwing the word entitled around. It's just as possible Tage was trying to convey that he sees more opportunity in Buffalo -- a team that our very board regularly concedes has a horrible outlook as far as NHL wings are concerned -- than he did in STL, which has a lot of quality forward prospects to go along with NHL talent with term.

Agreed. Taking 144 characters to try to explain something is a way to get the wrong impression.

I would expect Thompson is going to get a shot with the top 6 in Buffalo, that's his game. Yet, he is going to have to elevate himself. He hasn't earned it yet.

Reactions: Fezzy126

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Is it just me or is the made up drama very immature for grown men discussing young men playing a sport for a paycheck?

And it's fine to think that he isn't the best player. I don't love the idea that he's the big prospect we got back in the trade, but attacking his attitude with no basis is ridiculous.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
its the Hamilton tweet that was posted above.
Yeah I can read. I meant the part where he demanded it, and was rubbing it in? I'm sure a Couple of guys in particular have been told they'll be given An opportunity to play in that role. Even if he gets a look out of the gate for a couple of games so the org. Can get a feel for his devolpment, isn't a slap in the face to anyone in the organization. He needs to show he belongs and work his ass off or he's not going to stay there. I'd take it more as a showcase.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah I can read. I meant the part where he demanded it, and was rubbing it in? I'm sure a Couple of guys in particular have been told they'll be given An opportunity to play in that role. Even if he gets a look out of the gate for a couple of games so the org. Can get a feel for his devolpment, isn't a slap in the face to anyone in the organization. He needs to show he belongs and work his ass off or he's not going to stay there. I'd take it more as a showcase.
He should get a shot to prove himself in development camp and pre season if he deserves a chance just like all our prospects but the wording of the tweets and soundbytes sound as if hes already been given a top 6 role before earning it. I noticed he also said Botterill told me they have big plans for me, I would hope Botterill would be telling all the prospects that and not playing favorites because he wasted O'Reilly to get Thompson.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
From The Athletic:

Oh, really! Just when a trade for Ryan O'Reilly looked dead,...

Armstrong was somehow able to make the deal without giving up the Blues’ top prospects: Thomas, Jordan Kyrou and Klim Kostin.

“I know Buffalo is really excited about Tage Thompson,” Armstrong said. “We didn’t want to give Tage up, either, but we do value Robert Thomas as a centerman. I think I’ve been pretty consistent for a while that we weren’t trading him until we know exactly what he can do because center icemen are hard to find. And Kyrou is a player that really excites us just with his speed. You have to give to get, and giving up Tage was difficult, but we’re excited about our return.”

Thompson, 20, was the Blues’ first-round pick in 2016. He played 41 NHL games as a rookie last season out of necessity and had his moments, registering three goals and nine points. But the 6-foot-5, 205-pound right winger also showed some flaws that might have worried the Blues.

“Tage, listen, I think he’s got potential,” said Corey Pronman, The Athletic‘s prospect guru. “I think he might be a second-line forward one day. He’s 6-foot-5, he’s got high-end puck skills, a high-end shot, makes plays. But he doesn’t play with pace, he takes shifts off here and there, and he’s got some room to develop. I think with Buffalo, he’ll be a potential second-line, third-line guy, play some power play. That’s what I see him topping out as. You didn’t want to lose Thomas, and you didn’t want to lose Kyrou. Those are the two big pieces, and you couldn’t lose either two of those guys, particularly Thomas. I did not see any way they could have included him.”

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
He should get a shot to prove himself in development camp and pre season if he deserves a chance just like all our prospects but the wording of the tweets and soundbytes sound as if hes already been given a top 6 role before earning it. I noticed he also said Botterill told me they have big plans for me, I would hope Botterill would be telling all the prospects that and not playing favorites because he wasted O'Reilly to get Thompson.

Devolpment camp isn't really a shot to showcase in the top 6, when the top 6 isn't actually there. And I'm sure that he is telling guys like baptise Bailey nylander ect the same stuff

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Again, unless he plays with the real top 6 against other teams top match ups. How can anything less be a good fair shot??
That can be said with every prospect we have fighting for ice time. Most NHL teams except for ours apparently put their rookies in the bottom 6 to give them better match-ups and get a feel for the game. You insulate them, testing to see if a kid is good by putting him on the top line playing 18 minutes a night is a good way to ruin his development. That's like throwing your child in the deep end with no floatation device and saying if they want to survive swim to the shore.

Its clear in St. Louis he wasn't even ready for the NHL even in a bottom 6 role as he got 9 points in 41 games.

If you want this kid to succeed he needs a lot of work and he can probably develop better on the top line in Rochester.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
“I know Buffalo is really excited about Tage Thompson,” Armstrong said. “We didn’t want to give Tage up, either, but we do value Robert Thomas as a centerman. I think I’ve been pretty consistent for a while that we weren’t trading him until we know exactly what he can do because center icemen are hard to find. And Kyrou is a player that really excites us just with his speed. You have to give to get, and giving up Tage was difficult, but we’re excited about our return.”
Oh, the irony.

Reactions: Sabre the Win
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad