Table Tennis

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The Chinese couldn't be beat, once again. Surprised by how close the men's semis were though, both were great matches. Ma Long is still the king despite having some troubles with Ovtcharov's absurd side spin.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Ovtcharov got so close....
I can't imagine how empty he'll feel.

Yup, this was probably his last chance in the olympics to make a serious run for the gold. The Taiwanese kid gave Fan a run for his money as well, Fan honestly looked a bit shaky at times. Expecting Ma to take the final in six.

Kind of a pity we couldn't see Harimoto take on one of the Chinese, at least in the singles.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yup, this was probably his last chance in the olympics to make a serious run for the gold. The Taiwanese kid gave Fan a run for his money as well, Fan honestly looked a bit shaky at times. Expecting Ma to take the final in six.

Kind of a pity we couldn't see Harimoto take on one of the Chinese, at least in the singles.
Yeah, I imagine that's it for him. It was such a great game. I hope he has the mental energy to make the bronze medal game a match. Perhaps, if he ages like Boll, he has one more shot.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yeah, I imagine that's it for him. It was such a great game. I hope he has the mental energy to make the bronze medal game a match. Perhaps, if he ages like Boll, he has one more shot.

Everything is possible but the issue is that the game gets faster every day and Ovtcharov is on a bit heavier side in his movement than most top TT players, including Boll. His serves continue to be a bitch though.

Either way he's had an amazing career already and is probably the second best European player of his generation, right behind Boll.

Reactions: Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I just watched the bronze medal game. Damn, another nailbiter. Ovtcharov several at the brink of eliminiation, came back and snatched the bronze. Hats off to both these athletes.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The Chinese couldn't be beat, once again. Surprised by how close the men's semis were though, both were great matches. Ma Long is still the king despite having some troubles with Ovtcharov's absurd side spin.

The only one who could ever beat the chinese was a guy from Sweden, Jan Ove Waldner..

Reactions: LarryO

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The only one who could ever beat the chinese was a guy from Sweden, Jan Ove Waldner..

Waldner was a god, just ridiculous how he could control the ball. It's kind of a shame we didn't get to have Xu Xin play in these olympics, he's the closest to Waldner that today's game has to offer.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Adam Bobrow the commentator for table tennis goes on one of his many tangents for like 2 minutes explaining the pros and cons of tossing the ball up high on a serve. British woman that I even forgot was there says something like "So are there any benefits to tossing the ball up high on a serve and if so what are they?" :facepalm::laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If they can take just 1 match off the Chinese i'd be very happy.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They're not beating the Chinese but the german team is putting up a good fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad