Value of: T. Johnson in offseason

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Very ambitious from my POV, plus getting everyone to agree to taking a discount even with the no state taxes but isn't Karlsson going to command more than what PK got ($9million)? As per the statement he made earlier in the year. I'd say $9.5 million at minimum.

McDonagh is probably $7.5 at minimum, Kucherov at $8.5 million minimum and Point will get $6 million minimum if he can put up 65-70pts next year. That's $31.5 million on low end but I'd say closer to $35 million if I had to guess.
I'd absolutely hate playing you guys 4 times a year as a Panther fan but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see it.

Maybe someone can crunch the numbers at capfriendly and see if it works?
Point will get bridged before he gets paid. If Kucherov can take a 4.5 bridge, so can Point. If Mcdonagh clocks in at $7.5, he can get it elsewhere.

I'd see Point taking a 4.5 bridge and Stralman for roughly what he makes now. He's over 30 and I wouldn't go crazy in either direction with him. Around what he makes now or a slight raise for 2-3 years. EK signs a a contract similar to Hedmans.

This is all of course based on the reports that Tampa is a desired destination for EK. If that's not true, none of this works anyway. But if he wants to come here and play with Hedman, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't take a similar deal to make it happen.

I see Kucherov making 9, Point at 4.5, EK at 8-9.

With all the contracts up that off-season, a likely Callahan BO, and the cap going up, I think it's more than doable assuming all parties are on board.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We would have no interest in Murray or Carlsson. We have 3 better LD than both of them so they do nothing for us. I'd have interest in Savard, not the best RD I'd target but would be an upgrade for our right side. I also wouldn't mind Bjorkstrand too, nice fairly cheap top 9 player. Cap wise it wouldn't work for Bjorkstrand + and you don't have a short dump.

So maybe Johnson + Erne for Savard + Bjorkstrand? Erne will be signed cheaper than Bjorkstrand and plays s physical style that should fit in Columbus. Bjorkstrand signs for 2 say then Columbus saves a few hundred thousand.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
We would have no interest in Murray or Carlsson. We have 3 better LD than both of them so they do nothing for us. I'd have interest in Savard, not the best RD I'd target but would be an upgrade for our right side. I also wouldn't mind Bjorkstrand too, nice fairly cheap top 9 player. Cap wise it wouldn't work for Bjorkstrand + and you don't have a short dump.

So maybe Johnson + Erne for Savard + Bjorkstrand? Erne will be signed cheaper than Bjorkstrand and plays s physical style that should fit in Columbus. Bjorkstrand signs for 2 say then Columbus saves a few hundred thousand.

We can't afford to trade Savard because it's literally just him and Jones on our RHD depth with only one righty coming up in our prospect pool

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
What type of futures are the Lightning looking for in a T. Johnson deal? I saw no RD, but specifically is there a position that is of want/need?
Do the Lightning need a replacement ~3rd line forward on a cheap contract?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
What type of futures are the Lightning looking for in a T. Johnson deal? I saw no RD, but specifically is there a position that is of want/need?
Do the Lightning need a replacement ~3rd line forward on a cheap contract?

We have an abundance of quality bottom six-caliber players in our organization so that isn’t a need for us. IF we trade Johnson (which is far from guaranteed) we’ll likely be looking for a good RHD either on his ELC or at least reasonably young and with term at a good cap hit who can come in and play immediately. We have Foote and Cernak as prospects so if we’re getting a prospect he’d have to be clearly better than Cernak and ready for the NHL next season. Alternatively a young top-six RW would also be of interest; again term and cost control are key as otherwise we might as well keep Johnson.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I hope we don't bridge Point. Give him 6x6 and be done with it.
I'd be fine with paying him, but with everyone else taking bridge deals to get TB to their next set of expiring contracts, I can't imagine the approach would be different with Point.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

I honestly likely do it but change Erne to a 3rd or a prospect. We already need openings in F next year. Bjorkstrand leaving just makes room for one of our prospects or keeping Vanek another year.
We can't afford to trade Savard because it's literally just him and Jones on our RHD depth with only one righty coming up in our prospect pool
I know we haven't agreed about Savard and honestly I only put him out there in offers like this where we can get a great C to give us PLD/TJ/Wenny for a triple threat and then we have Nuti and Carlson who both have played right side for us and played well. Nuti always played right for Murray and they were an amazing pair that's when Nuti IMO arrived. Bjorkstrand goes to a team where honestly he puts up 30 goals within his first 3 years. But we get TJ who imo under Torts could fly and C Milano and Cam or Anderson... THAT'S the kinda offense you guys been begging for instead of the dump and chase. I make this move every time.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I honestly likely do it but change Erne to a 3rd or a prospect. We already need openings in F next year. Bjorkstrand leaving just makes room for one of our prospects or keeping Vanek another year.

I know we haven't agreed about Savard and honestly I only put him out there in offers like this where we can get a great C to give us PLD/TJ/Wenny for a triple threat and then we have Nuti and Carlson who both have played right side for us and played well. Nuti always played right for Murray and they were an amazing pair that's when Nuti IMO arrived. Bjorkstrand goes to a team where honestly he puts up 30 goals within his first 3 years. But we get TJ who imo under Torts could fly and C Milano and Cam or Anderson... THAT'S the kinda offense you guys been begging for instead of the dump and chase. I make this move every time.

I'd be all over Johnson + 3rd for Savard + Bjorkstrand.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'd be all over Johnson + 3rd for Savard + Bjorkstrand.
Maybe I should aim for a higher pick haha.

Also I'm also sad at the fact Bjorkstrand will put up 30 goals in the 1st or 2nd year there the way you guys play offense. But TJ/Milano/Atkinson would be the fastest damn line in hockey haha

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I hope we don't bridge Point. Give him 6x6 and be done with it.
The funny thing is we can use Kucherov and Hedman (5x4M, not technically a bridge but considering the money it may as well have been) as examples of guys that went through bridges. Anything will seem like a lot of money to Point, in comparison to the 600k he's currently making.

Yeah, I have to repeat that for emphasis. Brayden Point is currently making $686,667.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If they still wanted Karlsson this summer, they still have the pieces to pull it off. Johnson+Foote as the two main pieces. Imagine Hedman, Karlsson, McDonagh, Sergachev, and Stralman all on the same team. With that forward group, they'd be the best team in the league and it wouldn't even be close.

If it was a sign and trade, the package would be bigger but I'm not so sure they could afford his $11 million price tag. Then again, Coburn and Girardi would be off the books as well as Johnson, so they could probably pull it off. I'd pay 19 million for potentially the best D pairing in NHL history.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If they still wanted Karlsson this summer, they still have the pieces to pull it off. Johnson+Foote as the two main pieces. Imagine Hedman, Karlsson, McDonagh, Sergachev, and Stralman all on the same team. With that forward group, they'd be the best team in the league and it wouldn't even be close.

If it was a sign and trade, the package would be bigger but I'm not so sure they could afford his $11 million price tag. Then again, Coburn and Girardi would be off the books as well as Johnson, so they could probably pull it off. I'd pay 19 million for potentially the best D pairing in NHL history.

No way in hell a rental Karlsson brings back that much.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
No way in hell a rental Karlsson brings back that much.

Who knows if he'll be a rental. But look at what a rental (2 months) Rick Nash got. And tell me Karlsson wouldn't return a 2C and a mid-round 1st AT LEAST. Even as a rental. He can get more tbh.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Who knows if he'll be a rental. But look at what a rental (2 months) Rick Nash got. And tell me Karlsson wouldn't return a 2C and a mid-round 1st AT LEAST. Even as a rental. He can get more tbh.

Look at what 2 year rental McDonagh got from TB. If Dorion is dealing with Yzerman for Karlsson hes not giving up Foote. Hes said this already.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Johnson is not going to Ottawa for Karlsson. In fact no one from Tampa Bay is going to Ottawa for Karlsson. If there is no extension in place come 16 months from now then he's the backup plan for Ryan McDonagh. The Lightning have all the time in the world to wait.

Alright now let's not turn this into a Karlsson thread lol

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad