T.J. Tynan - Notre Dame (CCHA)

Nikita Filatov

Jan 3, 2009
Columbus
Haven't gotten to watch this kid yet this year. His stats from last year were good, and doing great so far this year. People were thinking he'd maybe get picked in the 5th round or later, but he's looking great for an early third rounder. With Rocco's injury, it looks like the spot he probably already earned on the WJC team is now a lock.

What's Tynan's potential looking like for an NHL forward, and is he staying at Notre Dame through his senior year, or is he gonna cut it short?

Thanks, any info is appreciated.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I watched some of the ND-Boston College hockey game last Friday, I think Tynan had one of their goals. I didn't really pay too much attention to him, all I know is that the announcers kept calling his name so he must be good, lol. As for NHL forward? I don't know, like I said, haven't paid too much attention the guy, I think he can be though if he's that good at the college level.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
What's Tynan's potential looking like for an NHL forward, and is he staying at Notre Dame through his senior year, or is he gonna cut it short?

Thanks, any info is appreciated.

Tynan was a prototypical USHL forward his year at Des Moines, on the smaller side but with very good speed and vision and, most imporatntly. superior hands. My issue with Tynan then is what my issue is with 9 out of 10 scoring forwards in the USHL, he just had no interest in playing defense whatsoever. The handful of games I've seen him play at ND he appears to have gotten better in his own end.

My guess is that had a better team drafted him, his lack of a strong 2 way game keeps him at ND for four years. But since Columbus owns him, they may pressure him to leave after this year. My money says that if Columbus wants him then he'll leave ND.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Tynan was a prototypical USHL forward his year at Des Moines, on the smaller side but with very good speed and vision and, most imporatntly. superior hands. My issue with Tynan then is what my issue is with 9 out of 10 scoring forwards in the USHL, he just had no interest in playing defense whatsoever. The handful of games I've seen him play at ND he appears to have gotten better in his own end.

My guess is that had a better team drafted him, his lack of a strong 2 way game keeps him at ND for four years. But since Columbus owns him, they may pressure him to leave after this year. My money says that if Columbus wants him then he'll leave ND.
I'm sorry, but that second paragraph is crap. Columbus is not that weak of a team that they'll NEED him next year. He'll play out his time in ND, just like Cam Atkinson did in BC.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I'm sorry, but that second paragraph is crap. Columbus is not that weak of a team that they'll NEED him next year. He'll play out his time in ND, just like Cam Atkinson did in BC.

Three of your Top 5 scorers are defensemen and their plus/minus is "crap". Your 3rd best forward is a rookie. Your top scorer is ~40 years old.

I stand by my statement and it's not necessarily for next year but a season in the AHL is going to get him closer to the show than 2 more in South Bend.

IrishFan

Mar 9, 2011
I'll add my 2 cents since I watch the kid play every other weekend, for whatever it is worth. I would be surprised but not shocked if he left Notre Dame early. I will echo the sentiment of the main reason I could see him leaving early would be because the Jackets need the talent. If he was Wings/Bruins/Deeper Team property I would be shocked to see him leave early aside from personal reasons, mainly because of his size.
For those concerned about his defensive game, that has not been an issue. He's currently +1 and playing a fair number of PK minutes. I don't worry about him in his own end.

CapeShamrock

Jul 15, 2011
I'll add my 2 cents since I watch the kid play every other weekend, for whatever it is worth. I would be surprised but not shocked if he left Notre Dame early. I will echo the sentiment of the main reason I could see him leaving early would be because the Jackets need the talent. If he was Wings/Bruins/Deeper Team property I would be shocked to see him leave early aside from personal reasons, mainly because of his size.
For those concerned about his defensive game, that has not been an issue. He's currently +1 and playing a fair number of PK minutes. I don't worry about him in his own end.

Doubt he will leave ND early. He is having a terrific career. Although he is small, he is extremely quick and can dish the puck with the best of them. He also plays with an edge and had hugh "b##$$%lllls". Tough kid !

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He produces but the one dimensional thing will probalby be a problem.

Hes usually playing with pretty good defensive players in Notree Dame like Sheahan. And hes always got a huge linemate to make space for him in Anders Lee or Riley Sheahan.

The skill is there though for sure

IrishFan

Mar 9, 2011
TJ has been put on the USA's prelim roster for the WJC. Hopefully he can stick. Kid has come a long way in the last couple of years!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad