T.J. Oshie & Troy Brouwer

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I realize it's very early in the season. Through 4 games Brouwer has 5 pts, 2g & 3a. Oshie has 2pts in 3 games, 1g 1a.

So far, from Blues' fans perspective, the consensus seems to be that Brouwer is less skilled than Oshie but a harder worker. Brouwer doesn't check a ton but is pretty good at winning 1 on 1 battles for the puck. He's playing on the 3rd line as of now with Backes & Jaskin.

What are the thoughts so far on Oshie? Is he still slip sliding over the ice seemingly more so than others? Any chemistry with Ovi etc..?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
he's been much better than Brouwer, yesterday he had a chance in the slot and he actually hit the net, it was an odd sight to see.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I realize it's very early in the season. Through 4 games Brouwer has 5 pts, 2g & 3a. Oshie has 2pts in 3 games, 1g 1a.

So far, from Blues' fans perspective, the consensus seems to be that Brouwer is less skilled than Oshie but a harder worker. Brouwer doesn't check a ton but is pretty good at winning 1 on 1 battles for the puck. He's playing on the 3rd line as of now with Backes & Jaskin.

What are the thoughts so far on Oshie? Is he still slip sliding over the ice seemingly more so than others? Any chemistry with Ovi etc..?

Oshie so far in the same spot as Brouwer was in on the PP shows a lot more contribution in terms of winning puck battles and also positioning himself to help his teammates get open or open up passing lanes.

Honestly thus far in the physicality department, his hits are more effective then Brouwer who hit a lot, but very rarely did it create a play or momentum.

Also a much better possession player in the 2 games with Ovechkin in the lineup, kinda hard to put anything of value in the Sharks game with Burakovsky with him and Kuznetsov being the top line, was a bad game by the entire team.

As far as chemistry goes I feel his chemistry is with Kuznetsov, which is going to be fine.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
he's been much better than Brouwer, yesterday he had a chance in the slot and he actually hit the net, it was an odd sight to see.

It was awesome haha. oshie has been everything the caps needed and more. I would do the trade 100 out of 100 times again

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oshie so far in the same spot as Brouwer was in on the PP shows a lot more contribution in terms of winning puck battles and also positioning himself to help his teammates get open or open up passing lanes.

Honestly thus far in the physicality department, his hits are more effective then Brouwer who hit a lot, but very rarely did it create a play or momentum.

Also a much better possession player in the 2 games with Ovechkin in the lineup, kinda hard to put anything of value in the Sharks game with Burakovsky with him and Kuznetsov being the top line, was a bad game by the entire team.

As far as chemistry goes I feel his chemistry is with Kuznetsov, which is going to be fine.

Pretty much all of this.

And I disagree that Brouwer is a harder worker based on years of watching Brouwer BUT only a few games of closely watching Oshie. Maybe t-bro is going all out with his new team, and maybe TJ is, too. Hard to know. But Oshie has been all over the ice, and Brouwer could appear lazy for long stretches as a Cap. He underperformed to the point that he had to call himself out last season.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Brouwer is where he belongs - on a third line.
Oshie is where he belongs - on a scoring line without the pressure of being the guy.

The questions around both of them come in the postseason. For now, I expect both to thrive.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm glad the trade is a win for both parties involved. They fit better on their respective new teams.

Right. Not trying to say "haha you got fleeced" and if STL fans are happy then that's cool. But from our perspective it seems like we've definitely upgraded and a lot of the knocks on Oshie appear overblown or the product of overfamiliarity breeding contempt.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Brouwer is where he belongs - on a third line.
Oshie is where he belongs - on a scoring line without the pressure of being the guy.

The questions around both of them come in the postseason. For now, I expect both to thrive.

ding ding ding!!! we have a winner! hold all calls.

Both guys were misused previously, but they have the same post-season rep, so time will truly tell.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
The only thing Brouwer is harder working at then Oshie is giving non-stop quotes to the media that he never fulfills himself. Wait till the end of the season and then come tell us how much you like Troy Brouwer.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Oshie filled a need we desperately needed
Brow filled a need the Blues needed

Sick of hearing about this already

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The only thing Brouwer is harder working at then Oshie is giving non-stop quotes to the media that he never fulfills himself. Wait till the end of the season and then come tell us how much you like Troy Brouwer.

For the record I didn't make the post in any way of trying to say Brouwer > Oshie, or that somehow the Blues won the trade. I would have wanted more in return for Oshie but that's neither here not there.

I was really looking for first impressions from a Caps fan perspective on Oshie. That and to give a first impression of Brouwer.

I would guess, only guessing at this point, that both players would be giving their all trying to establish themselves with the new teammates.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He's looked really good, and fans are happy.

Keep in mind that 1) the Caps have played three games, 2) only two with Ovechkin, and 3) none with Backstrom. All the lines are wrong.

Eventually, the top line will be Ovechkin - Backstrom - Oshie or possibly Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Oshie.

Williams and Oshie may well swap RW spots on the top two lines when they need a spark.

We really like him parked in front of the net on the team's crack PP, which usually hums along in the 25 percent range and #1 in the league.

The fair criticism of Oshie is that he's unproductive in the playoffs. It's not as well known that Brouwer's playoff production is equally garbage, so the real test for both players will come in a few months once the playoffs start. Will the change of scenery lead to more points for either one? That's what both teams are hoping to see.

Note: Most Caps fans aren't evaluating this as a one-for-one trade so much as they are trying to gauge how Oshie and Williams for Brouwer and Ward will play out.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
For the record I didn't make the post in any way of trying to say Brouwer > Oshie, or that somehow the Blues won the trade. I would have wanted more in return for Oshie but that's neither here not there.

I was really looking for first impressions from a Caps fan perspective on Oshie. That and to give a first impression of Brouwer.

I would guess, only guessing at this point, that both players would be giving their all trying to establish themselves with the new teammates.

I understand and I have nothing against the Blues, I actually really like them. With that said, I can't stand Brouwer.

He's a player that never really worked that hard but would continue to tell the media the team needed to work harder. I know Oshie has his playoff warts but Brouwer is the most dissapointing player I have ever seen in the playoffs. You would think because he is somewhat physical that he would be well suited for the playoffs but no, the lack of space and time just kills his game and he becomes a total liability/turnover machine. Even on the PP he turns into a pumpkin in the playoffs, positioned in the slot with the highest quality chances he either misses the net or shoots it right into the goalies chest. Every year I thought it was going to be different but it was the same thing.

When I heard the Capitals got Oshie and the centrepiece of the deal was Brouwer I was beyond shocked. The only thing the Capitals will miss is his faceoff ability.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
the amazing thing about Brouwer is with limited 3rd line minutes he will still give you top points, and he will still give you over 200 hits a year. what's frustrating is that you can double his ice time and put him with Backstrom and Ovechkin and his stats don't change. the trade works out great for both teams that doesn't happen often anymore.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Although most here are loath to admit it, Brouwer is a good player. It's a win/win honestly.

Glad to see T-bro the zero doing well.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I honestly think that Oshie will solidify himself as a real 1st line player this season. That spinning backnad pass to Ovechkin last year was great, and he seems way more aware in the O-zone than Brouwer was.

However, Brouwer himself is pretty decent when he doesn't play above his head, so I'm glad it's all working.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Oshie filled a need we desperately needed
Brow filled a need the Blues needed

Sick of hearing about this already
Agreed. Not sure why my fellow Blues fan felt it was needed to make this thread on your board as it seems rather pointless so apologies for that.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
It may have been the most (recent) successful need 4 need trade that I can remember that actually pans out for both teams. Well, so far it looks like, the honeymoon phase can be tricky.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I still can't believe we traded a B6 for a T6 - good job BMac. I still can't believe we shoe horned a B6 into a T6, with almost uncontested 2RW/PP slot time his entire career here. Sure, he didn't have much competition but that still doesn't make him a 2RW.

Troy the hard worker, I think he actually looks like he is working harder than he is because of how stiff and mechanical he looks when he skates. But with less pressure to score as a checker, he is scoring. Good for St Louis, they like us needed a shakeup in their T6.

Oshie gets me out of my seat, something Troy even scoring his PPGs and logging 4 hits a game couldn't do.

I am still impressed Oshie fought Quaid. I am not so sure we lost toughness out of our lineup.We may have gained some, while upping our skill.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I still can't believe we traded a B6 for a T6 - good job BMac. I still can't believe we shoe horned a B6 into a T6, with almost uncontested 2RW/PP slot time his entire career here. Sure, he didn't have much competition but that still doesn't make him a 2RW.

Troy the hard worker, I think he actually looks like he is working harder than he is because of how stiff and mechanical he looks when he skates. But with less pressure to score as a checker, he is scoring. Good for St Louis, they like us needed a shakeup in their T6.

Oshie gets me out of my seat, something Troy even scoring his PPGs and logging 4 hits a game couldn't do.

I am still impressed Oshie fought Quaid. I am not so sure we lost toughness out of our lineup.We may have gained some, while upping our skill.

It's comparing apples to oranges. A good top-line guy for a good middle-6 (ideally 3rd line) guy.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Although most here are loath to admit it, Brouwer is a good player. It's a win/win honestly.

Glad to see T-bro the zero doing well.

T-Bro the zero is a thing of the past now. He was unbelievably frustrating in the playoffs.

I will admit that he's a good player when he is in a suitable role and you don't ask too much of him.
I was one of the Brouwer haters here, but I hope he does well elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad