Value of: T.J Brodie

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Leafs would like to use his money at the TDL. Could be had for a draft pick for a team who could use help on defense and a formerly stabilizing presence who has gotten old. Maybe he could find new life on a new team and really help a 2nd pairing.

Please folks, one at a time.

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I could see Toronto sending him to Montreal, NJ or other non-cap-strapped/non-cash strapped teams, to be moved onwards with 50% retention.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I could see Toronto sending him to Montreal, NJ or other non-cap-strapped/non-cash strapped teams, to be moved onwards with 50% retention.

He's still an NHL player, he's been on our top pairing. Just that he was always the guy who played the quiet, mistake free game. This season he simply hasn't been that. He lost his brain. A change of scenery might fix him, IDK.

What I do know is his cap space is more valuable to us at the TDL than he is

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
When he joined the Leafs he was one of the best signings we've made in recent history. But recently, he doesn't look like he even wants to be on the ice. His point production is also half of what it was when he signed. He still kind of eats minutes but their not as mistake-free as they used to be. You either need to trade for a top 4 D separately or have it come back in the same trade. I don't quite see it happening.
Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 8.47.51 PM.png

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
He's still an NHL player, he's been on our top pairing. Just that he was always the guy who played the quiet, mistake free game. This season he simply hasn't been that. He lost his brain. A change of scenery might fix him, IDK.

What I do know is his cap space is more valuable to us at the TDL than he is
Well, he can be moved to a team with issues on D at 50% (retention by a 3d team), freeing up the 5M to get a better defenseman, which would come at its own cost.

Heck, I'd assume he could be moved at 50 or even 75% retention, at the cost of a couple of picks (say a 4th for 50% and a 5th for the added 25%), and at 1.25M, just about any team could add him. Of course, those 2 picks reduce the return for Toronto...

When he joined the Leafs he was one of the best signings we've made in recent history. But recently, he doesn't look like he even wants to be on the ice. His point production is also half of what it was when he signed. He still kind of eats minutes but their not as mistake-free as they used to be. You either need to trade for a top 4 D separately or have it come back in the same trade. I don't quite see it happening.
View attachment 799749
I could see it happening, but in 2 completely separate deals. One to free up the cap room by shipping him out,, and the other to acquire the better D.

Reactions: rubenflamshep

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Well, he can be moved to a team with issues on D at 50% (retention by a 3d team), freeing up the 5M to get a better defenseman, which would come at its own cost.

Heck, I'd assume he could be moved at 50 or even 75% retention, at the cost of a couple of picks (say a 4th for 50% and a 5th for the added 25%), and at 1.25M, just about any team could add him. Of course, those 2 picks reduce the return for Toronto...

I would be ok with a mid round draft pick back for him. I guess it depends if there is a deal there the Leafs can make, obviously if there is no dman available for us we would keep him and hope he can find his game. But if we have a deal there and need cap space, it makes sense for us.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
It's the last year on his deal. Nobody will give the leafs anything of value for him, so why trade him at all? You keep saying cap space, cap space. Buying big names at the deadline for futures hasn't gotten us anywhere, so why keep trying? Fkin run with what we have.. maybe tweak a minor deal for a bottom 6 guy or a 5-6 dman.

Brodie fills a 1rd role(wether he does it well or not) and we have nobody to replace that. And I'm really getting sick of throwing away 1rd and 2rd picks for rentals.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
A contending team has no real use for him if he's just not playing well enough.

A non-contending team doesn't need him because he's on an expiring contract, unless he comes with a sweetener. Especially so if he's not playing well enough to flip to a contender.

It sounds to me like a very confused proposal.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
We could retain some money to make it work if there is no cap coming back.

Brodie 50% retained for a 3rd
please stop it already you and a lot of you are smoking something very good i can see, why would the leafs do this, think about it he is a regular Dman playing 15 to 20 min a game and you want to give him away for a third, so how you going to replace him with and who at the same cost i would like to know and yes there is a lot better out there but are they available...boy oh boy you guys got to get a life.............

Reactions: Ciao

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Which team wants to throw away cap and futures for him if toronto doesnt even want him.
i think there is a few teams that would love to have a vet dman that plays left or right with lots of experience and i don't understand all of you negative posts about this player and am sure leafs are not shopping him like you guys are saying....wow

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
i think there is a few teams that would love to have a vet dman that plays left or right with lots of experience and i don't understand all of you negative posts about this player and am sure leafs are not shopping him like you guys are saying....wow
He sucks now. He's washed.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It's less about shopping him and more about using the cap space better, if I understand the OP's intent.

Ie, move out Brodie to team A (who has cap space) and rent a replacement D from team B.

Reactions: banks

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Nobody's taking on a washed Brodie at his caphit unless there is a sweetener attached.
Depends.
If Toronto gives him to Montreal, Montreal can then trade him as a rental at 50% and get something for him. Toronto frees up 5M to get a better player (possibly with term). Toronto won't give him for free without having use for the caproom all ligned up, but Montreal could take him and move him at 50% when some team got injuries.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Depends.
If Toronto gives him to Montreal, Montreal can then trade him as a rental at 50% and get something for him. Toronto frees up 5M to get a better player (possibly with term). Toronto won't give him for free without having use for the caproom all ligned up, but Montreal could take him and move him at 50% when some team got injuries.
He's not worth 2.5M caphit. He's bottom pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad