OT: Systems & the Swarm

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
From what I'm seeing I'd break it down like this.

I............C...........I
IW...................WI

When the puck comes into our zone an opposition winger will chase and try to lock it up on the boards. The defenceman is already engaged on the boards fighting for the puck so the center should engage to "swarm" the player. It transitions to something like this.

I.......................I
IW..................WI

The problem I'm seeing and where the team gets in trouble is when the opposition has 2 guys battling along the boards. We then send a 3rd guy behind the goal scoring line to "swarm" the 2 oppositions players. Our winger sneaks in and covers for the dman. Looking something like this.

I........................I
IW.....................I

As you can see it leaves a huge amount of the ice open, and if the team is able to come away with the puck it's very easy to create prime scoring chance. Below is what I think opposition teams try to set up when they play the oilers.

I........................I
IW.........O.........I
I.......................I
I.LD.............RD..I

If they can get this set up and one of the two opposing players can either: A) get a pass to the man in the slot or B) break free and go around the back of the net and draw in our other winger. It creates some time and grade A scoring chances for either the RD or the O in the slot.

Sorry for the poor diagrams but thats my basic understanding of Eakins system and how I'd try to pick it apart.

Edit: Also wanted to add if the puck is pinned higher up the half wall boards the winger sneaks down and the dman stays in front of the net.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
? ?
O ? ? G ?

O O O O

The ?'s are the puzzled Oilers in their own end.

The O in the corner is the opposition player ready to send a pass out to one of his 4 teammates waiting to point blank one-time it in the slot.

The G is the guy who wishes like **** he never came to this career-ending team last season.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
have no idea what they are doing, but I do know either it isn't a very effective system, or he can't seem to get the players to execute it, but it doesn't work.

So it was the systems fault we hit 2 posts? It was the systems fault Schultz didn't tie up Raymonds stick? It was the systems fault Scrivens couldn't stop a slap shot? It was the systems fault Nikitin decided to go behind the net instead of stopping in front? You guys are blaming player mistakes on the system. You really think coaches like Eakins and Ramsay designed a system that would tell Nikitin to go behind the net on the Hudler goal? You guys have an agenda, and its getting rid of Eakins. Dont you realize Babcock couldn't get this roster to the playoffs? Its just not good enough yet.

We outshot them 40-26. Id say the system is fine. Players need to clean up their games, some are still rusty. We will win at least 60% of games we play like that.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So it was the systems fault we hit 2 posts? It was the systems fault Schultz didn't tie up Raymonds stick? It was the systems fault Scrivens couldn't stop a slap shot? It was the systems fault Nikitin decided to go behind the net instead of stopping in front? You guys are blaming player mistakes on the system. You really think coaches like Eakins and Ramsay designed a system that would tell Nikitin to go behind the net on the Hudler goal? You guys have an agenda, and its getting rid of Eakins. Dont you realize Babcock couldn't get this roster to the playoffs? Its just not good enough yet.

We outshot them 40-26. Id say the system is fine. Players need to clean up their games, some are still rusty. We will win at least 60% of games we play like that.

No one is complaining about the offensive system. It's in the defensive end where were having problems. It all goes back to Eakins damn stubbornness not to change to another system and keep tweaking the swarm that obviously doesn't work with this group.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
You can not have system in the NHL where you leave two dmen wide open. There is just too much skill in he NHL to make this work. The opposing teams know that as soon as you have problems just move it back to the dman because no one is covering them.

Same thing on the PK, they leave the dmen wide open as the two forwards are collapsed towards the centre of the ice and too far away. Then they start moving the puck around and find prime scoring chances.

A system like his will not work in the NHL.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers are likely going to be a very high event team.

It's still early but they already lead the NHL in combined shots for/against.

34.5 for and 34.5 against per game... combined average of 69 shots per game.

Lots of shots from running and gunning and lots of shots against from leaving the defensive doors wide open so often.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

Personally I don't mind the system and think we can win with it. Why I want to see Eakins gone is strictly from a player management point of view. I like what he's gotten out of Yak, Marincin, and Leon but it's his over utilizationof the kid line when it's not working, his defensive pairings, his inability to make effective in game changes. He makes decisions that are impossible to understand and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt here but just not at the cost of another season.

This is a line up that can win games but at this point I can't support our coach.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
alison-brie-vanity-fair-video-10.jpg

I could swarm attack this

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
This thread could really use an Allison brie picture to lighten the mood.

We looked decent in defending for most of the plays but just like last year teams know that all they have to do is get the puck behind our net and our entire team will follow it back there.

fat_alison_brie_2_by_peanut85-d5sk87n.jpg

She kinda let herself go a bit. Not going t be ready for training camp.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
No one is complaining about the offensive system. It's in the defensive end where were having problems. It all goes back to Eakins damn stubbornness not to change to another system and keep tweaking the swarm that obviously doesn't work with this group.

Or, maybe our defensemen aren't very good.

Schultz, Hunt, Nikitin are not very good defensively. They all have less than 250 GP. Hunt has 5 NHL GP. They are going to make many mistakes.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Or, maybe our defensemen aren't very good.

Schultz, Hunt, Nikitin are not very good defensively. They all have less than 250 GP. Hunt has 5 NHL GP. They are going to make many mistakes.

They should still know better then to both go behind the net. We can sit here and blame individual players but when everybody has done it, it not a player issue.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I'm not sure wtf they're doing, but I do think that the oilers are trying to be something they're not. I've seen inferior teams *on paper* beat the oilers. I've seen inferior teams *on paper* be better than the oilers. This team needs to just win and if that means going back to some kind of "back to hockey basics" schemes, then so be it. Maybe they won't be a playoff team, but at least they won't be an embarrassment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad