OT: Systems & the Swarm

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Ok just wondering if anyone who knows hockey can explain the system Dallas Eakins uses?

My understanding is that the Oilers were terrible forever because they would get hemmed in and chase the puck around and get outshot. I'm assuming this leads to the focus on moving the puck quickly out of the zone instead of a focus on....other things...

So the philosophy of the swarm is about quickly gaining possession so our skilled guys can go highlight reel, no? If not, what is the philosophy?

Also, what system would actually benefit the Oilers?
Double Also, is this all Lowe's idea?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Whatever system he used in the 3rd period needs to go.. Need more of 2nd period system

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
This thread could really use an Allison brie picture to lighten the mood.

We looked decent in defending for most of the plays but just like last year teams know that all they have to do is get the puck behind our net and our entire team will follow it back there.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i honestly clicked the thread to see Allison Brie.

consider me an oilers fan as i got my hopes up and was disappointed....again

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
The system he uses is... I guess pressure the guy in the non-scoring area and hope he doesn't get to a guy in the prime scoring area who will be left all alone... Then we blame the goalie. Repeat. It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The goals scored yesterday weren't due to a bad system like last year. These were individual mistakes (which are much more fixable). Two miscues with goalies/defense behind the net caused the first two goals. Third goal was just a really good shot. 4th goal, Fayne got walked (he has to be better, and he will). Overall, the Oilers Dzone play and breakouts, while still a work in progress, looked MUCH better than last year, where everyone looked really confused.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Regardless of the defensive system, the stretch pass after stretch pass needs to go. They haven't been able to consistently break out of their zone in ages. Firing the puck across two or three lines hoping to hit an open winger is something that'll get you stapled to the bench in junior. So seeing our 35 year old captain doing it is ****ing embarrassing.

"Hope" passes.

Stop it.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
alison-brie-vanity-fair-video-10.jpg

Just trying to help the general discussion.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
I dont think hardly anyone here played hockey at a high enough level to observe and break down a system.

I know hes not using the swarm though, at least not like it was last season, so you can all stop talking about that.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I dont think hardly anyone here played hockey at a high enough level to observe and break down a system.

I know hes not using the swarm though, at least not like it was last season, so you can all stop talking about that.
It doesn't take a genius to see that the system sucks. I don't think there's another team that has given up as many point-blank chances as the Oilers have since Eakins became coach.

The swarm was in full effect on the Hudler goal btw.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Oilers current system involves both Dmen behind the net and forwards off to the side boards during defensive zone play. Then, after an opposing player gets the puck all alone in front of our goalie, and scores, the defenceman closest to the side it went in on, helps our netminder dig it out from the back of the neck for the centre ice faceoff.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
have no idea what they are doing, but I do know either it isn't a very effective system, or he can't seem to get the players to execute it, but it doesn't work.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
have no idea what they are doing, but I do know either it isn't a very effective system, or he can't seem to get the players to execute it, but it doesn't work.

We need to find out if its the system or the players. No defensive system in the NHL has a goal of leaving the slot wide open. The swarm is used by other teams is it not?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
We need to find out if its the system or the players. No defensive system in the NHL has a goal of leaving the slot wide open. The swarm is used by other teams is it not?

agreed, and IDK. Its the coaches job to implement a system that compliments the lineup he has, not force his own philosophy on a team, come hell or high water.

It's only one game, and it was only a few breakdowns, so we are probably jumping the gun a bit. It is easy to do so following last year and the last 5 years. But, truthfully, we have to give these at least 10 games. Hopefully, they can come out of it with at least 9 points.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
agreed, and IDK. Its the coaches job to implement a system that compliments the lineup he has, not force his own philosophy on a team, come hell or high water.

It's only one game, and it was only a few breakdowns, so we are probably jumping the gun a bit. It is easy to do so following last year and the last 5 years. But, truthfully, we have to give these at least 10 games. Hopefully, they can come out of it with at least 9 points.

idk. It seemed pretty good to me. We were playing a puck possession type system that reminded me of the Hawks. Mind you, it was against a tired Flames squad so I don't know what that means, but we owned the puck a lot and took a lot of shots. I call that Hawks hockey. Maybe we're in the early stages of refining it. I sure hope we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad