System Shock Remake (Nightdive Studios) - May 30th 2023

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
After an insane development cycle this game is finally seeing the light of day. I played the demo on Steam and will definitely be picking this up day one. From what I played, the remake retains a lot of elements of the original while providing some much needed quality of life improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've waited 24 years for another game in this franchise. System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I didn't play the demo of this because I wanted to wait for the full game.

A lot of gamers may be unfamiliar with the franchise, but have probably played games inspired by it. Dead Space was originally developed as System Shock 3, hence the setting and plot similarities. BioShock was developed as a spiritual successor by a few of the people who worked on System Shock 2, hence the "Shock" in the title. More recently, 2017's Prey was an even closer spiritual successor.

Last year, Nightdive's CEO said that they would start development on a System Shock 2 remake after finishing this remake. There's also a System Shock 3 that's been in development by a different studio for 7 years, but I'm not sure if that'll ever get finished.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The game currently has a 75 on metacritic with most of the mixed reviews seemingly from people who got filtered by the older game design choices lol. Looking forward to booting this up tonight

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The game currently has a 75 on metacritic with most of the mixed reviews seemingly from people who got filtered by the older game design choices lol. Looking forward to booting this up tonight
Yeah apparently this is very very old school

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I already have about 4.5 hours in this and I'm absolutely loving it. I get that it doesn't feel very modernized but that's entirely the point. It's a remake of a game from the mid 90s. What I don't get is the complaints about how it's "maze-like." I haven't been losing my positioning at all. Either people don't know how to read maps or just expect things to be straight hallways.

The exploration is amazing. Every room feels important, everything feels like it's placed with meaning. It's awesome running into a new room and finding story lore that grows organically as you progress instead of feeling like everything is forced through boring cutscenes in modern gaming.

There's definitely some very minor things that I would have liked them to update just for QoL purposes like it would have been cool to just have a shortcut to scrap things, auto sort inventory, etc. But it's not a big deal for me. I'm too distracted by how much fun I'm having exploring the space station to worry about the minor things like that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Digital Foundry's review really goes over how it compares to the original and calls it one of the best remakes ever.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad