Laval Rocket: Syracuse Crunch at Laval Rocket 7:00 pm - Watch on RDS/AHL TV

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
They will be more entertaining to watch next year with more quality prospects and less useless offensive black hole plugs.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Was there at the Place Bell and that team was pathetic. Dobes kept them in the game with crazy saves.

The PP was an abomination. The Barron goal was basically him saying "**** it I'll shoot" twice... And somehow they still gave useless Perreault an assist even if the 1st shot got blocked and Barron scored on his 2nd attempt. They could not get in the O zone on the PP, it was painful to watch.

That team does not deserve to make the playoffs.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
No jump & no structure in a must win situation. Dobeš stood on his head. Please get Reinbacher away from Houle….its simply a poorly coached team.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
We said the same thing last year, for Farrell, Kidney, Heineman, Roy...

The only bright spot is Roy.
Next year might only see Mesar added to the club and Beck if he is not with the Habs. Doesn't look like real difference makers either.

I've been very critical of Hughes job for a year now. People need to get over the honeymoon phase already. Last draft with 3 goalies was an insult for me when you have the worst forward prospects in the NHL.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
No jump & no structure in a must win situation. Dobeš stood on his head. Please get Reinbacher away from Houle….its simply a poorly coached team.

Once again....Houle is not running his system. He is replicating MSL's system as per instruction from HuGo. Blaming Houle as a scapegoat is not addressing the issue. The issue is that there is very little talent on this team and very little IQ. In order for MSL's system to be effective both of those player traits need to be in abundance.

This team is a developmental team that is trying to win but in a very specific way that will produce players who will be able to win in the NHL. Winning in the AHL is a preferable outcome to losing but not at the cost of playing meat and potatoes AHL hockey which is typically pretty bad hockey that allows career NHL wannabes to excel and for young prospects to pick up bad habits that have to be weeded out at the next level.

Houle should only be judged on how prepared his players are when they get the call and he has been a clear success in that regard.

I find the Houle attacks to be lazy, low hanging fruit that are not evidence based and not relevant to the reality and expectations of Houle's job and performance.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Next year might only see Mesar added to the club and Beck if he is not with the Habs. Doesn't look like real difference makers either.

I've been very critical of Hughes job for a year now. People need to get over the honeymoon phase already. Last draft with 3 goalies was an insult for me when you have the worst forward prospects in the NHL.

Fowler was a very high value pick at 69 and he's looking very good.

I agreee we could have picked someone else over Miller (Landen, Marcel, Pohlkamp, Ilyin).

Early, but Volokhin is looking really good.

As for Hughes:
2022 had 6 fwd, 4 D, 1 G
2023 had 3 fwd, 3 D, 3 G

Total is 9 fwd, 7 D, 4 G

We also have a very young forward group.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Folks been saying that for several seasons. Best we ever was those 2 seasons under Bouchard
If Bouchard was any good he would have a job in the NHL already. The reason why Laval sucks is because all of their good players are on the Habs lineup. No Primeau, no Xhekaj, no Roy, no nothing.

They need more talent on the team. They need a guy like Lane Hutson.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
People on this board don't understand the AHL game, but they sure act like they do.

Rookies don't do well in the AHL. "How can Boston's team be at the top in both NHL and AHL?" Simple enough really, don't have any prospects down there and just fill the club with AHL vets. Your performance will be good, but you won't generate a stream of young NHLers from it.

Laval is filled with youngsters and, bad combo, also filled with injuries. Davidson, Simoneau, Roy are 3 guys who would make this team better. If the team didn't have as many youngsters at the beginning of the year, they would have signed more vets that would be helping the team.

Next year will be better, not because of the next wave of rookies, but because of the continued growth of guys like Davidson, Dobes, Mailloux, Kidney, Farrell, Simoneau, Roy (if he's not in the NHL), etc...

Thr AHL vets that were picked for this year seem to be fizzling. Lias Andersson does not look impactful out there, despite a decent point total. Maillet is also meh. Gignac is doing well with his speed, but he must feel quite lonely at times.

If we can get better AHL vets to surround the young guys, next season will be better.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
People on this board don't understand the AHL game, but they sure act like they do.

Rookies don't do well in the AHL. "How can Boston's team be at the top in both NHL and AHL?" Simple enough really, don't have any prospects down there and just fill the club with AHL vets. Your performance will be good, but you won't generate a stream of young NHLers from it.

Laval is filled with youngsters and, bad combo, also filled with injuries. Davidson, Simoneau, Roy are 3 guys who would make this team better. If the team didn't have as many youngsters at the beginning of the year, they would have signed more vets that would be helping the team.

Next year will be better, not because of the next wave of rookies, but because of the continued growth of guys like Davidson, Dobes, Mailloux, Kidney, Farrell, Simoneau, Roy (if he's not in the NHL), etc...

Thr AHL vets that were picked for this year seem to be fizzling. Lias Andersson does not look impactful out there, despite a decent point total. Maillet is also meh. Gignac is doing well with his speed, but he must feel quite lonely at times.

If we can get better AHL vets to surround the young guys, next season will be better.
Yeah people here don't understand the AHL game. Give yourself a gold star.
They must not understand the NHL game then either.
Hockey is a simple game the team with the puck usually wins.

Our team is poorly built and yes most of the vets suck.
But we'd be fooling ourselves to think those players you mentioned would be enough. to move the needle.
The lack of over all talent up front is reprehensible.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

skidcells

May 11, 2023
This game and the past few show our shortcomings in the prospect pool. We have zero offensive talent in the pipeline. The past 4 games have been abysmal to watch. Everything from individual skill to collective play needs to be improved on the offensive side.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Pretty bad farm team for a rebuilding team tbh
We will be told that well our best aren't here yet....Beck, Mesar, Engstrom, Konyushkov, Kapaen, Eriksson, Xhekaj, and Hutson. It's been like for 30 years now.

While on D, they will have a point. Our D right now in Laval is not the problem....lol. We are strong in the pool of goalies, but our goalie in Laval is great.

Up front is a huge problem. But then Dach will comeback and solve all of our problems.

Again, THIS YEAR, was a key year to be a contender in the East. NOW, that is NOT a Hughes issue. That's STILL a Bergevin issue. Hughes just came in. He couldn't turn that sorry ass team to be contending this year. But Bergevin could have. Instead he chose of signing Gallagher and Cie...

When Hughes WILL be able to turn this around (if based on the drafting), we won't be alone.

This Habs team either sucked or was one of the most unluckiest team in the world as far as timing is concerned. Timing of draft. Timing of competing. But we did we lucky once....thanks to Covid.

You would think a former first rounder would at least be able to show something in the AHL. HORRIBLE TRADE
Pros are suppose to know best. The name in the trade looked great. Yet, I can't believe who the heck recommanded him based on play......fire those guys.

Reactions: Tyson

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

There's actually A RULE in the AHL that prevents that....Also, why impede our team to get better Vets? Why as an organization are we always a spectator over our own decisions?

Yes, next year should be better. Though this year was suppose to be better. But yeah, it's always fun to think that. Though...how about sophomore jinx? Will we see Dobes getting the same success? Where will be Roy? Where will be Mailloux? Will our 1st year Euro be able to hit it out of the park from the get go?

Problem for Laval is not on net. And not that much on D. It's up front. Where are this year all those rookies that have a chance of being NHL'er compared to Providence? Providence still has Lysell. Geez, you could even add Merkulov and Farinacci. Who are you going to talk to me about for Laval......Heineman, Farrell and Kidney?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Fowler was a very high value pick at 69 and he's looking very good.

I agreee we could have picked someone else over Miller (Landen, Marcel, Pohlkamp, Ilyin).

Early, but Volokhin is looking really good.

As for Hughes:
2022 had 6 fwd, 4 D, 1 G
2023 had 3 fwd, 3 D, 3 G

Total is 9 fwd, 7 D, 4 G

We also have a very young forward group.
I beg to disagree on the forward group. It is the worst in the league when it comes to forwards prospects.
When you include U22 forwards in the organization, it becomes a bit better because of Slaf but it's still bottom tier.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
None of the Hughes' drafted players are in the AHL yet up front except Davidson.

Our 1st overall pick went right to the NHL and is developing very well.
Joshua Roy in his first AHL season forced his way to the NHL and played very well there.
Oliver Kapanen is not over yet.

The guys that were coming in this year were not guys that you'd expect to blow the roof off in year 1 of the AHL, outside of Farrell, who has actually played very well and was the only forward last night who was capable of creating any offense.

Heineman's play has tailed off so that is discouraging, I will give people that.

Davidson and Simoneau are hurt and not playing.

Kidney is a 3 year AHL project, the skating and frame was always going to need to come along to make an impact in the AHL and eventually to the NHL if he makes it.

The real issue here is Houle is a terrible coach and that the AHL veterans they identified to push the team forward have all checked out or played terribly.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Once again....Houle is not running his system. He is replicating MSL's system as per instruction from HuGo. Blaming Houle as a scapegoat is not addressing the issue. The issue is that there is very little talent on this team and very little IQ. In order for MSL's system to be effective both of those player traits need to be in abundance.

This team is a developmental team that is trying to win but in a very specific way that will produce players who will be able to win in the NHL. Winning in the AHL is a preferable outcome to losing but not at the cost of playing meat and potatoes AHL hockey which is typically pretty bad hockey that allows career NHL wannabes to excel and for young prospects to pick up bad habits that have to be weeded out at the next level.

Houle should only be judged on how prepared his players are when they get the call and he has been a clear success in that regard.

I find the Houle attacks to be lazy, low hanging fruit that are not evidence based and not relevant to the reality and expectations of Houle's job and performance.
I respectfully disagree E-P

It’s not difficult to read a teams “jump” or level of preparedness for games. Effort or work ethic are also easily identified. Skill is not a priority for a hard working team. And if you believe your team has no skill all reason more reason to have practiced this and build it into your game plan. And look, many teams come out with a lacklustre game occasionally but wow, Laval’s starts are more often than not, slow & struggeling. It’s obviously not JFH strong suit or it’s not a priority regarding his coaching style. I want Laval to succeed and be a developmental hotbed. All the success that our developing young players have displayed has been under the tutelage of MSL. I have no emotional bias toward Houle. Some do & that’s okay. I like MSL as a person/HHOF and despite being a very “green” head coach, MSL is doing a tremendous job and has shown the ability to learn & adapt. He also has a connection with the young players who are eager to be coached by him. Back to your point, blaming the “skill” level of young players & some lock-step organizational conformity is truly the low hanging fruit. I don’t see HuGo restricting a coach’s creativity, at any level. I have a hard time believing you are pleased with the past 3 years cumulating this playoff run. There’s enough talent on that team to make the AHL playoffs, come on man?
cheers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad