Sportsnet: Switching Sides

Schadenfreude

Armchair Expert
May 14, 2014
Torana, ON
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/icebreakers-how-to-pick-an-eastern-conference-team/

In this article they're trying to get people to switch sides on your TML. It starts as "Are you new to hockey? A disgruntled Leafs fan? Looking for a new team to root for this season? You’re in luck..." I realize they're trying to get more viewers to watch the other NHL games they're gonna carry. But there must be a better way than to convince disgruntled Leafs fans to do so.

What's worse though is they have Tony Romo in the same picture as Dion Phaneuf.

Thoughts?

Kessley Snipes*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/icebreakers-how-to-pick-an-eastern-conference-team/

In this article they're trying to get people to switch sides on your TML. It starts as "Are you new to hockey? A disgruntled Leafs fan? Looking for a new team to root for this season? You’re in luck..." I realize they're trying to get more viewers to watch the other NHL games they're gonna carry. But there must be a better way than to convince disgruntled Leafs fans to do so.

What's worse though is they have Tony Romo in the same picture as Dion Phaneuf.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are the following:

1. Don't pay attention to click-bait headlines and your life will be better for it.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
My favourite part was the line where he said that a "veteran hockey man" told him that McDavid is already a better player than Tavares :rolly:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I haven't read it.

I truly do hope that we lose most of the idiots that populate Leaf nation though. this is a great idea!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Nothing deep, but hey it was worth a laugh. At least they got the downside of joining the Leaf fanbase down "Do you like stress?"

Fairly stupid overall though.
I haven't read it.

I truly do hope that we lose most of the idiots that populate Leaf nation though. this is a great idea!
They'd be lucky souls if they do :laugh:.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I think this is a wonderful idea. I can think of more than a few people on here I wouldn't mind seeing become fans of other teams.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think this is a wonderful idea. I can think of more than a few people on here I wouldn't mind seeing become fans of other teams.

I can think of more than a few people on here that are fans of other Teams.

CalgaryLeaf*

You mean we are allowed to switch teams?..After 40 years now you tell me! :cry:

puckluck19

Registered User?
Oct 20, 2008
Courtice, ON
It's a lighthearted article for fans of any of the 30 teams who need reasons to be "searching" for a new team. The Leafs are just an (obvious) example in the opening paragraph because Sportsnet knows how to get online attention from canada's largest english-speaking fan base.

I mean if it was only meant for Leafs fans searching for an alternative, why would Sportsnet include the Leafs themselves in the list of "options" to turn to.

Sadly, my FB feed is filling up with anti-Leafs people eating this up as sportsnet attacking only the leafs thanks to that opening paragraph (kinda like how the OP tried to frame the article)

All that said, I enjoyed its silliness

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Just remember we will always be 1 season away from the complete opposite effect happening and all the fair-weather fans will be jumping on the bandwagon and it will turn out that Toronto really is the center of the hockey universe. Who would have thought?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I think the Romo/Phanuef and Cowboys/Leafs is a great analogy

Except the cowboys have actually won something recently

Best part is sportsnet (rogers) own the leafs :)

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
what's even more messed up is that the Sportsnet says "are you a disgruntled Leaf fan.. want to switch?" or whatever it says.

Wtf??

Sportsnet is owned by Rogers... WHO OWN THE LEAFS

so in essence, the Leafs' ownership is saying "we have other options for you if you're sick of the Leafs"

...is there any more proof needed that the Toronto Maple Leafs are owned by the most dysfunctional corporation in the country?

You know, millions of fans said that it was a dark day when rogers came to own this team. And here's just a little bit more proof of just how **** up this whole rogers/bell/leafs thing really is :(

TheInsignia

Apr 12, 2013
Calgary, AB
Jackie-Chan-Meme-Template.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad